AMA almost done w OMS1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefull!!

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Distract me from finals :)

Directly came from undergrad to med school. Was waitlisted 5 schools up until my only A in June. Love my school now! Ask away :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! When did you program start and was it hard to find housing and make the move with getting accepted late in June?

Hi! When did you program start and was it hard to find housing and make the move with getting accepted late in June?
So both yes and no. My program started July 31st I think? I was also switched campuses last minute so I stayed in a airbnb for the first few weeks while I was able to tour housing options. You definitely need money at your disposal when you move (application fees, deposits, first month rent) because loans dont hit right away. I was lucky to have saved enough to pay for an airbnb and my deposits

Members don't see this ad :)
So both yes and no. My program started July 31st I think? I was also switched campuses last minute so I stayed in a airbnb for the first few weeks while I was able to tour housing options. You definitely need money at your disposal when you move (application fees, deposits, first month rent) because loans dont hit right away. I was lucky to have saved enough to pay for an airbnb and my deposits
Got it okay thank you so much, that makes sense!

Distract me from finals :)

Directly came from undergrad to med school. Was waitlisted 5 schools up until my only A in June. Love my school now! Ask away :)
What was the biggest adjustment in med school? Is it as hard as everyone says it is? Do you regret not taking a gap year?

What was the biggest adjustment in med school? Is it as hard as everyone says it is? Do you regret not taking a gap year?
I think taking a gap year was beneficial to many. There are pros and cons to both!
Biggest adjustment was developing new (aka real) study methods. Cant screw around with wasting time!
No its not as hard as everyone says. If you develop a good balance, and effective methods its not. people will always find a way to complain! Every day at school is a day I am living the life i dreamt of so I honestly have no complaints.

• Love
Congratulations on finishing your first year!! I know everyone has a study style that works for them, I was wondering what yours is? Any recommended resources us incoming students should look into? Thanks!

I am not huge into using outside school resources but a few I enjoy are Sketchy/Pixorize. My class has amazing tutors which have been a godsend, dont think I would be able to grasp how to study without them. In my opinion I watch lecture on 2x speed, watch tutors 2x speed then create study write outs. then 70% of my learning comes from talking it out with a classmate. we quiz from start to finish and its the best way to actively recall in my opinion. I am not someone who can use anki very efficiently (just need more understanding then memorizing). PQs are always amazing so if you have the money/time to supplement with Uworld/outside materials that can be helpful too. my tips:
  • Talk it out!! quiz eachother, explain slides etc
  • Draw out the pathways/anatomy/relationships. best way to condense material and create a fall back if you blank
  • Dont waste your time creating study guides. try instead to condense material into memorable ways like mneumonics, pathways, drawings, sketchy

• Love
I remember last year we were going through the cycle together, glad to see it's going well!

• Love
Have you noticed any DO principles in your education thus far? Do you resonate with any material that may not be at an allopathic school?

When exactly did your loans hit?

Uhhhh maybe like august 5th? i dont remember