Post-Acceptance W or F in Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinballWizard02

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been very fortunate to receive 2 DO acceptances and an MD II this early in the cycle. I'm currently in Biochemistry, and I'm struggling. The professor (the only professor who teaches Biochemistry at my university) is infamous for giving extremely difficult and time-consuming questions - I know we complain about hard professors, but he's almost universally acclaimed as a terrible teacher (multiple probations, very low RMP score, and just generally infamous at my university among pre-meds). Anyways, here's the situation: Biochemistry isn't required at one of my DO acceptances or my MD II (both my top choices), but I've already taken a W on this class before (as well as a W in Genetics during my sophomore year). I'm worried that taking the W now will look like a worrying trend to my accepted schools, especially for a class that's so heavily focused on during med school and I know that schools reserve the right to rescind an acceptance if they feel that you can't meet the course load. I have confidence in my own abilities, having done well with biochemistry on the MCAT. On the other hand, I'm unsure if my sGPA is high enough to take a potential F (~3.3 last time I calculated it). Please let me know what you think, or if I'm worrying too much - it just feels like I'm in the home stretch with an acceptance, and now there's another obstacle. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
n + 1, but I had two W’s for Physics as an applicant. One was due to a horrible professor and the other due to outside school hardships, and it was not an issue on my application. Granted, I’m not sure how the rest of your applications looks but if you already have some IIs you are good to go.

You most definitely should take the W if you are worried about your chances of performing well.