Amalgam Marginal Ridge Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taylorsavage

Reaction score
So I’m having trouble keeping my marginal ridge at the right height. It sort of crumbled when I remove the matrix band. Im not sure if I’m not packing it enough or if I’m removing the matrix band too early.

Also, I’m pretty sure our school gives us expired amalgam from the clinic to use for operative lab. I don’t know if maybe that’s why it’s crumbles.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you are placing it in there after it has already set…just place it faster

Reactions: 2 users
Get fresher amalgam from clinic. Just find a way. In order for the ridge to not break, you need to remove band while wedge still inserted and you suppose to hold ridge with your plugger

Reactions: 1 users
Work in an FQHC placing amalgam all day everyday. Spend more time packing it. And if it still happens try taking the band off the matrix holder and then slide the band up and out.

I've never had to hold the ridge in place to keep it from crumbling.

Reactions: 1 users
I used a lot of amalgam in the Navy and ran into this issue a bit. I started cutting the matrix band on each side and then sliding the remaining band out instead of pulling up. Seemed to fix the issue. Use hemostats to slide it out. And you need to cut it before sliding it because the crinkle in the band from the tofflemire may disrupt the amalgam when sliding it out.

Reactions: 2 users
I second futuredent20's recommendation

Also start out with reg set amalgam and get good at carving anatomy. Once you are comfortable carving at a relatively fast speed, then move on to fast set amalgam. (By the time you are done carving anatomy, fast set would have set in at the pace you would have worked with regular set) and sliding matrix band side to side after removing the tofflemeyer apparatus will help prevent Marginal ridges breaking

Also packing with force enough to move the patient's head also helps

Reactions: 1 user
Let the amalgam set 1-2 min longer. When you're ready to separate the band, use a large ball burnisher, place and hold it on the marginal ridge with moderate pressure and separate the band and ease the floss thru. After graduation, unless you're going military, public or community dental, you'll forget all about it.

Not all triturators are equal. 8 seconds may not be enough because the machines get weaker with time. Make sure the amalgam is soft and work very quickly. Pass your practicals and never use it again.

Reactions: 1 user