This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Sardinia

Anyone else reading this book? So far it has been a great read.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
That reminds me...I need to start reading books again. Anyone got recommendations? I'm open to mystery, fantasy, non-fiction, anything really. I'll try out America's bitter pill. I have a douglas adams book "The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul" and also "Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" in my queue right now.

That reminds me...I need to start reading books again. Anyone got recommendations? I'm open to mystery, fantasy, non-fiction, anything really. I'll try out America's bitter pill. I have a douglas adams book "The Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul" and also "Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" in my queue right now.
I have the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks on my book shelf. I don't even remember when I bought it. :whistle:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished "Better" by Atul Gawande. Might have to check this book out!

Reactions: 2 users
@Horse Apiece @Gurkhali What a small world we live in.
qkyKvdL.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Currently reading the Healing of America but America's Bitter Pill looks interesting. Might read that next.

Anything by Laura Joh Rowland, Bernard Cornwell, or Sam Eastland.

Reactions: 3 users
Anatomy of Addiction by Howard Markel

Pretty insightful look into the history of freud/halsted and the effect cocaine had on their medical practices. Also affords a look into the psyche of some of medicine's foremost characters and how mental disorders plague even the brightest among us.

Reactions: 1 user
I just remembered, I recently finished reading a book called "Girls of the Atomic City". Not about medicine, but a good read, none-the-less.

I recommend The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss to anyone who even remotely enjoys the fantasy genre.

I recommend The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss to anyone who even remotely enjoys the fantasy genre.

My brother in law just gave me this book and I've just been waiting for time to start it. I have heard it is awesome

This has been sitting on my bookshelf for probably 2 years now. I need to get over to it, but I keep buying more books...

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi: About a neurosurg resident who receives a bleak cancer prognosis.

Do No Harm - Henry Marsh

Those are a few of my favorites, I'll have to check out America's Better Pill!

I actually just picked up "America's Bitter Pill" a few weeks ago, I'm excited to start it!

Also, somewhat off topic, but does anyone have any good fiction recommendations? I've been so over-loaded with non-fiction / medicine specific books lately.

+1 for When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi. It's particularily poignant if you are a parent, or someone in your 30's who can relate to where the author was in his life. While the content makes it reading-worthy by itself, the style and cadence put it into that top tier of books for me. He writes with an almost poetic quality at times.

I actually just picked up "America's Bitter Pill" a few weeks ago, I'm excited to start it!

Also, somewhat off topic, but does anyone have any good fiction recommendations? I've been so over-loaded with non-fiction / medicine specific books lately.

I also enjoyed the book mentioned above, The Name of the Wind/Kingkiller Chronicles by Rothfuss.

Additionally, my favorite series, -aside from Harry Potter, is The Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher. There are graphic novels and short stories that accompany it, but even just the straight novels are a good read.
Supernatural mystery, is the best way to describe. So if you like fantasy these are worthwhile.
His other series, The Codex Alera, is another great read.

Aside from that, anything by Niel Gaiman. my favorites though, are Neverwhere and American Gods (soon to be a tv show).

Non-fantasy: The Cormoran Strike Novels, by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling). Another mystery series, but not supernatural.
All of them are really good.

Last edited: