An interesting situation I have here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jnjtech

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN, I have an interesting situation here. Below are my stats which I know are sub-par than that of what is usually accepted into U.S. medical schools. I have pretty much ruled out allopathic U.S. schools. I was wondering if I could get your guys' input on what my chances would be at an Osteopathic or Carribean (big 4) medical schools. I know most of you think "do post bacc and re-take MCAT". My main thing is I want to avoid these mainly because of the time that will be lost. If I do a post-bacc that will be a year long, then I'll get to apply, then the glide year. That will be about 2-3 years gone and I'd like to avoid that all costs. If that's the only option I have, even to get into Caribbean, then perhaps I'll do that. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I really just want to be a doctor that can practice in the U.S. I have some pretty unique EC's ( I hope) and I am the first in my family to attend a 4 year university. I am pretty successful in an interview setting .My biggest concern is just getting one due to my stats. I took an upper division science class last quarter and got an A and taking another one this quarter.

Throughout my UG, I was a coach and camp director for an AAU basketball program back home, (I went to school 30 minutes away from where I live) which was about 20 hours a week, volunteered at a hospital, and shadowed an MD. I was also working a full-time job and taking classes while studying for and taking the MCAT after I graduated.

Also, I was wondering if anyone could give me an in-depth reply about my chances for SGU, Ross, and AUC specifically if they knew anything about it. Of course anything regarding DO would be appreciated as well!

Stats:
cGPA: 2.8
sGPA: 2.7
MCAT: 25 (9 PS, 8 VR, 8 BS)

EC's: President and treasurer for fraternity for 1 and 2 years respectively, 300+ hours of clinical volunteering, 100+ hours of MD shadowing at USC: KSOM, AAU basketball coach (4 years), and currently working as a Sr. Research Technician in a microbiology and chemistry laboratories for a large corporation. First in my family to attend a 4 year university, besides my younger sister...:)

Members don't see this ad.

I think that GPA rules you out for anything in the US, even DO. From what I've gathered from SDN, the Caribbean is terrible, and you need to have very high step scores to even have a chance of matching in the US. With that MCAT it seems hard to believe that you would be able to get a great step score. Maybe rethink your career choices?

Hi SDN, I have an interesting situation here. Below are my stats which I know are sub-par than that of what is usually accepted into U.S. medical schools. I have pretty much ruled out allopathic U.S. schools. I was wondering if I could get your guys' input on what my chances would be at an Osteopathic or Carribean (big 4) medical schools. I know most of you think "do post bacc and re-take MCAT". My main thing is I want to avoid these mainly because of the time that will be lost. If I do a post-bacc that will be a year long, then I'll get to apply, then the glide year. That will be about 2-3 years gone and I'd like to avoid that all costs. If that's the only option I have, even to get into Caribbean, then perhaps I'll do that. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I really just want to be a doctor that can practice in the U.S. I have some pretty unique EC's ( I hope) and I am the first in my family to attend a 4 year university. I am pretty successful in an interview setting .My biggest concern is just getting one due to my stats. I took an upper division science class last quarter and got an A and taking another one this quarter.

Throughout my UG, I was a coach and camp director for an AAU basketball program back home, (I went to school 30 minutes away from where I live) which was about 20 hours a week, volunteered at a hospital, and shadowed an MD. I was also working a full-time job and taking classes while studying for and taking the MCAT after I graduated.

Also, I was wondering if anyone could give me an in-depth reply about my chances for SGU, Ross, and AUC specifically if they knew anything about it. Of course anything regarding DO would be appreciated as well!

Stats:
cGPA: 2.8
sGPA: 2.7
MCAT: 25 (9 PS, 8 VR, 8 BS)

EC's: President and treasurer for fraternity for 1 and 2 years respectively, 300+ hours of clinical volunteering, 100+ hours of MD shadowing at USC: KSOM, AAU basketball coach (4 years), and currently working as a Sr. Research Technician in a microbiology and chemistry laboratories for a large corporation. First in my family to attend a 4 year university, besides my younger sister...:)

Last edited: