Animal Science major vs biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurevet_11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to undergrad schools currently and can't decide to major in animal science or biology (or biology with a zoology intent). I was initially interesting in animal science because I thought that would give me more hands on experience with animals, but I'm really not interesting in learning about things like meat production/packaging and things of that nature. I'm a vegetarian and those things will definitely not be enjoyable for me to learn about. As an animal science major do you have to learn about these aspects? Should I major in one of the biological science instead?
I know you don't have to major in these things to get into veterinary schools, but these majors would be what I would major in even if I wasn't interested in becoming a veterinarian.

Members don't see this ad.

If animal science requires you to take courses you are not interested in then you should do biology. I am doing a biology major because it allows me to take a wide host of courses rather than having to take specific ones. Therefore I can fulfill prerequisites for vet school and at the same time take courses Im interested in.

I would pursue whatever major you're going to enjoy more. That being said, I'd caution against turning your back completely on topics like meat sciences because that is something you will have to learn about in vet school, even if for a semester. Learning about those kind of subjects could actually help substantiate your inclinations and allow you to promote alternative ways of thinking on the matter. Hone the interests you do have, but allow yourself to be open to other subjects as well. You don't have to be a fan of them, but you should try be as knowledgeable as possible about the numerous fields that contribute to veterinary medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I majored in animal science and it was 95% production animal courses. And the 5% that was companion animal I took as electives. However, schools curricula vary greatly, so do your research and see what courses are required at specific schools you are looking at attending. An animal science major in Texas may be very different from an animal science major in a metropolitan area.

Anything that covers your prereqs is fine. Personally I'm interested in zoology, and if my school had a zoo track, I probably would have done that. It's completely up to you and what interests you most while getting your prereqs done. I'd also recommend getting involved in research ASAP, it looks good and it's a lot of fun. I wish I had gotten involved in it sooner.

I majored in animal science and it was 95% production animal courses. And the 5% that was companion animal I took as electives. However, schools curricula vary greatly, so do your research and see what courses are required at specific schools you are looking at attending. An animal science major in Texas may be very different from an animal science major in a metropolitan area.

this is what the curriculum looks like for the colleges im most interested in. I don't see any really having much to do with production. what is your opinion as a former animal science major?
FALL SEMESTER
CREDITS
SPRING SEMESTER
CREDITS
ALS 103 Freshman Transitions and Diversity in Agriculture and Life Sciences
ANS 150 Introduction to Animal Science2
ANS 151 Intro to Animal Science Lab
BIO 181 Intro Bio: Ecol, Evol, Biodiv & Lab
ENG 101 Acad Writing & Research2
MA 107 Precalculus I2

Animal Science Course3
BIO 183 Intro Bio: Cell & Molec Biol & Lab
CH 101 Chem – A Molecular Science2
CH 102 General Chemistry Lab
MA 121 Elements of Calculus or
MA 131 Calc for Life & Mgt Sci A
(MA 141 Calculus I is also accepted)

Total: 16

Total: 13
SOPHOMORE YEAR1
FALL SEMESTER
CREDITS
SPRING SEMESTER
CREDITS
ANS 205 Physiol Domestic Animals
ANS 206 Anatomy Domestic Animals
Interdisciplinary Perspectives GEP Course6,G
ARE 201, EC 201, EC202, or EC 205D
CH 221 Organic Chemistry I
CH 222 Organic Chem I Lab
COM 110, COM 112, or COM 211
ANS 220 Reproductive Physiology
ANS 221 Reproductive Physiology Lab
CH 223 Organic Chem II
CH 224 Organic Chem II Lab
ST 311 Intro to Statistics or ST 350
Humanities GEP course6,C
Physical Education/Healthy LivingE

Total: 15
JUNIOR YEAR1,7
FALL SEMESTER
CREDITS
SPRING SEMESTER
CREDITS
ANS 230 Animal Nutrition
ANS 231 Animal Nutrition Lab
ANS 215 or Animal Science Course3
MB 351 General Microbiology
MB 352 or MB 354 Microbiology Lab
PY 211 College Physics I & Lab
GN 311 Principles of Genetics
PY 212 College Physics II & Lab
Physical Education/Healthy LivingE
Humanities GEP course6,C
ANS Animal Management Elective4

SENIOR YEAR1,7
FALL SEMESTER
CREDITS
SPRING SEMESTER
CREDIT

ANS Discipline Course Elective5
Social Science GEP CourseD
CH 201 Chemistry – A Quant Sci
CH 202 Quantitative Chem Lab
Additional Breadth GEP Course6,F
Free Elective6
ANS Management or Discipline Course Elective4,5
Interdisciplinary Perspectives GEP Course6,GBCH 351 or BCH 451, Biochemistry
Free Elective6

Which one do you think you would truly enjoy more? Which one would you see as a viable degree if vet school doesn't pan out? Have you talked to anyone at the schools you are looking at?

Jayna is right in that each school will differ in curriculum. By glancing at what you posted it looks like you wouldn't have to take a meat science class, though I suppose it would depend on how diverse their electives are. I personally enjoyed animal sciences, but if you find biology more interesting/rewarding do that because you can get into vet school with any degree if you have all the pre-reqs.

Again, it's hard to say. Reproduction, Nutrition, Management, "discipline course", "animal science course" all would be almost solely focused on cows, horses, pigs, sheep, goats, and the occasional mention of poultry at my undergrad school in the midwest. Companion animals like cats and dogs got maybe a week's mention in reproduction, and I had to take an elective for companion animal nutrition and management. But if you're looking at a school in the middle of a giant city, it might be different, I don't know.

Best thing to do is to just call the department of the school and ask. I bet they have an admissions person who could answer you question in just a few minutes.

Can I be a creeper? Are you applying to NCSU?

I'm really not interesting in learning about things like meat production/packaging and things of that nature. I'm a vegetarian and those things will definitely not be enjoyable for me to learn about. As an animal science major do you have to learn about these aspects?

As a veterinary student you have to learn about these aspects. It doesn't mean you have to eat meat, agree with everything you learn or be miserable. But there is something to be said for someone who learns about the other side of their position with an open mind. I'm taking farm services right now and although I have ethical concerns about animals in production, the slaughter videos we watched were not as bad as I envisioned (and certainly nothing like PETA makes it out to be...)

My animal sciences talked about "meat production" in the sense that we talked about managing production animals - nutrition, husbandry, anatomy/physiology, how the market works, etc. You will likely not talk about "packaging" but may discuss the slaughter process/slaughter plants.

you should think about what future options a major will give you. you may think you 110% want to be a veterinarian right now, but there still a lot of time for you to change your mind (i know several people that did!). you may also unfortunately be one of the people that never gets into vet school (thats a stinky, harsh, but possible reality. then what?

personally, i was much more interested in bio related subjects so i went that route. i also knew that if i didnt go to vet school, it was a lot more likely that i wanted to go to med school or pursue a bio-related masters. animal science didnt give me any career options i was interested in. think about what doors that degree will open to you, and think about whether you want those doors or not.

If I were you and were a vegetarian, I would major in Biology or Zoology. There were a few folks in some of my Animal Science classes that were vegetarian, and hated learning about food animals. When it came time for actual hands on with cows, pigs, sheep etc., they hated it even more. In one class I took, one of these folks actually notified the IACUC because they thought it was cruel that we were castrating piglets without anesthetics. So, if I hated the idea of all this stuff I wouldn't spend the next four years suffering through it.

Vegetarian or not, production animal lover or not, you will have to learn about these animals eventually in vet school. Choose a major you like and will likely enjoy, and one you will be satisfied working in if you don't make it into vet school.

Reactions: 3 users
I graduated from NCSU with a bachelors in Animal Science in May. PM me if you want.

I am applying to undergrad schools currently and can't decide to major in animal science or biology (or biology with a zoology intent). I was initially interesting in animal science because I thought that would give me more hands on experience with animals, but I'm really not interesting in learning about things like meat production/packaging and things of that nature. I'm a vegetarian and those things will definitely not be enjoyable for me to learn about. As an animal science major do you have to learn about these aspects? Should I major in one of the biological science instead?
I know you don't have to major in these things to get into veterinary schools, but these majors would be what I would major in even if I wasn't interested in becoming a veterinarian.
Hey all,

My name is Dan and I am a 2nd year vet student at Michigan State. I am a student blogger for the Merck Vet Manual. It's a great resource for applicants because vet students like myself often publish info about our experience/advice about vet school, including the application process. I recommend checking it out. Also, if you have burning questions, let me know and I would be happy blog about them so that the information is disseminated to a broad scope of applicants.

Best,

Dan

I majored in Animal Sciences and I loved it but it is heavily focused in production animals and horses. They offered once companion animal course that I took and then I took almost all of the equine electives I could fit in my schedule. Needless to say it has helped me tremendously in vet school thus far. However I can see how some people could be put off by the production/food animal aspect. Most Animal Science curriculums at land grant universities focus in production as this was the original purpose of the degree, to educate sons and daughters of farmers in the science of livestock production.

I majored in Animal Sciences and I loved it but it is heavily focused in production animals and horses. They offered once companion animal course that I took and then I took almost all of the equine electives I could fit in my schedule. Needless to say it has helped me tremendously in vet school thus far. However I can see how some people could be put off by the production/food animal aspect. Most Animal Science curriculums at land grant universities focus in production as this was the original purpose of the degree, to educate sons and daughters of farmers in the science of livestock production.
As a student at a land-grant college, I can confirm this. Though it's been tremendously helpful to me because I want to focus on large animals.

It lets you be super hands on too. No one lets you castrate their puppies but you can castrate pigs as an undergrad no problem.

You can always major in something and then take the animal science classes that you are interested in! I am a microbiology major with an animal science minor, so basically I just choose the coolest/most interesting animal science classes to take until my minor is filled up.

As a veterinary student you have to learn about these aspects. It doesn't mean you have to eat meat, agree with everything you learn or be miserable. But there is something to be said for someone who learns about the other side of their position with an open mind.

This is an extremely important point. You will have to learn all about food animal production, diseases, treatments, management, etc even if you plan to do small animal. And although producers do care much more about their animals than the animal rights crazies would have you believe, food animal medicine is not all touchy feely like small animal.