Another Adcom, ask me (almost) anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are the differences in responsibilities between the Dean of Admissions vs. Director of Admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

One of the worst answers I ever got was "because I want to be respected"
Haha, that is pretty awful. What are some of the best you've heard? Or at least, have resonated with you?

Hello. First off, thank you for your time. I just have a quick question concerning inclusion of ethnic background.
My situation is a bit unusual. I was born in South Asia, but I was raised in South America (Peru, to be specific). I spent my entire childhood there before moving to the United States and despite not being Peruvian by birth, I identify most with its culture. I speak Spanish and my "native" language fluently, although my Spanish is much more advanced. What would be the best way to put my ethnicity down?I know the application says to put the one you "identify with the most", but I want to make sure including Peru won't be an issue because I wasn't actually born there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Hushcom, I've got a couple questions:

1. I'm a non-traditional student who originally intended to pursue a PhD and quickly realized I want to become a physician instead. Still, I am passionate about my research and I hope to maintain a strong translational research focus throughout my career in addition to clinical work. This is the thesis of my personal statement, but I'm concerned- would it be viewed negatively by schools with more of a primary-care aim (like most of my state schools)?

2. I had a weak undergraduate GPA (cumulative: 3.49, science: 3.4), and decided to complete a physiology master's program at a top university before applying to PhD programs. I actually substituted a couple of the department's PhD classes in place of the MS classes to get them out of the way, in case I would have remained at the same school. Academically, I did very well (3.92), but ultimately decided I wanted to become a MD instead. My MCAT score is a 36, and I have 1 first author publication, six or seven abstracts/posters/conferences, satisfactory volunteering, and I'm going to be the first author on a chapter in a forthcoming tissue engineering textbook.

I'm finding a lot of discrepant information regarding how M.S. GPAs are weighted by ADCOMs against undergrad GPAs, and my situation is a bit different than most given my additional PhD classwork. Could you address how you would treat my statistics were my application to land in your hands? Would you recommend that I focus my application primarily toward low, mid, or high-ranked schools?

Many thanks!

1. Indeed you might be viewed as a less-than-ideal fit for primary care-oriented schools, but that's because you really are a less-than-ideal fit. I would go ahead and apply to them if they are in-state or OOS-friendly, just don't spend your AMCAS personal statement talking about research and your secondary essays talking about primary care. The insincerity would be visible from a great distance. Obviously I cannot critique your PS, but you may broaden your appeal by focusing on your desire to learn clinical medicine rather than becoming a translational researcher.

2. I wouldn't call your uGPA weak, and as a grad student it sounds like you have flourished from the standpoint of academic productivity. Your MCAT is also very strong. Based on what you have shared I would rate you quite strongly. As for school selection, I would offer the standard advice of applying to your IS schools, the usual OOS-friendly schools, private schools where your numbers seem fairly aligned, and some reach schools (ideally ones with existing research programs that you are familiar with).

NOTICE: As summer approaches I have decided to wind this thread down, at least in terms of my contributions. I will respond to all existing questions/inbox inquiries before going on hiatus.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you comment on responses you have liked/appreciated vs. disliked/don't ever want to hear, to the interview question "Why do you want to be a doctor?"

I don't ask that question so directly, as most interviewees have a canned response. Although I suppose that anyone who hasn't considered the question prior to the interview would be easy to write off...

Reactions: 1 user
Hello hushcom,
I would like to ask you a few questions and I hope you could reply to them since all the random input I get from other people is nowhere compared to what I would get from an adcom.
My situation is unique in the sense that I am an international student who transferred to a public university here in my junior year. My school transferred all my credits from my previous school which allowed me to graduate on time.
I would have preferred to take a couple more semesters and take the pre-requisites but financial difficulties didn't make it any easier so my parents rushed me to graduate.
Instead of going back home and getting married as my family wished I fought to stay here and got a job and I am waiting for a green card which I hope to get in the next year.
Until then I was hoping I could take my pre-requisites at a Community College? There is no way I can pay oos tuition at a 4-year school. I am not eligible for loans or scholarships.
My options are very limited and life is bizarre for a woman in a different country without money or a house or familial support. I am trying to make it work with ultimately hoping to get into medical school. But every step I take forward I am set two steps backwards by unforeseen circumstances. All these circumstances have obviously affected my grades. They have fallen from a 3.6 in freshmen and sophomore year to an unspeakable 3.0 in my junior and senior year. And the grades aren't averaged since they are from two different countries.
I am just hoping to go to a community college and setting my GPA straight and acing MCAT.I know I can do it but I don't know if it's worth it if eventually community courses will shed a negative light on my application.
I don't really have many extra-curricular activities apart from research experience of 1.5 years , a few college jobs and some random volunteering efforts.. It gets frustrating to have all doors closed on you because of a stupid visa but I just want to know if I am headed in direction that is not doomed to end in a giant NO from adcoms.
It would mean a lot more since your advice will have a real insight in the minds of adcoms.
So should I take courses at a community college given the situation I am in?
Also how do adcoms view such events in an applicant's life?
As an adcom would you suggest anything that can benefit my application?

I couldn't be more thankful.

I think you need to get your green card sorted out first. Then you need to get some money. THEN you can plot how to overcome a downward GPA trend without resorting to community college for pre-reqs while banking on acing the MCAT. Circumstances have dealt you a tough set of cards, but you need to resist the urge to take certain actions for the sake of expediency. If you try to rush this process it will be evident in your application, and not in a good way.

What are the differences in responsibilities between the Dean of Admissions vs. Director of Admissions?

Depends entirely on the school. Some have a Dean, some have a Director, some have both.

Hello. First off, thank you for your time. I just have a quick question concerning inclusion of ethnic background.
My situation is a bit unusual. I was born in South Asia, but I was raised in South America (Peru, to be specific). I spent my entire childhood there before moving to the United States and despite not being Peruvian by birth, I identify most with its culture. I speak Spanish and my "native" language fluently, although my Spanish is much more advanced. What would be the best way to put my ethnicity down?I know the application says to put the one you "identify with the most", but I want to make sure including Peru won't be an issue because I wasn't actually born there.

Just follow the AMCAS directions, and be sure to whip out a little Spanish during the interviews.

Are you going on a permanent or temporary hiatus?

What are your thoughts on Caribbean schools?

Never an unequivocally good idea, but at one point in time they were a viable option for those who had the brains and work ethic to succeed in medical school but lacked the application. Non-traditional students with lousy undergraduate careers, or undergrads with strong upward trends but lousy cGPA's would fall into this category. With the impending squeeze on the number of graduates relative to the number of open residency positions, however, those days are about to be history. I think one or two of the bigger Caribbean schools still has clerkship/residency pull in the NYC area, but outside of that the competition for GME is going to get worse and worse. I predict the number of Ross/SGU/AUC graduates with no residency and therefore no career options is going to increase in coming years. Buyer beware.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never an unequivocally good idea, but at one point in time they were a viable option for those who had the brains and work ethic to succeed in medical school but lacked the application. Non-traditional students with lousy undergraduate careers, or undergrads with strong upward trends but lousy cGPA's would fall into this category. With the impending squeeze on the number of graduates relative to the number of open residency positions, however, those days are about to be history. I think one or two of the bigger Caribbean schools still has clerkship/residency pull in the NYC area, but outside of that the competition for GME is going to get worse and worse. I predict the number of Ross/SGU/AUC graduates with no residency and therefore no career options is going to increase in coming years. Buyer beware.

Hi Hushcom, to build upon this question regarding the Caribbean, would you say this is the same situation for other FMG's from, say India or China? I know most of the foreign residency applications tend to come from India and, as far as I've heard, they do relatively well when it comes to matching...how do you expect their chances will be for residency in the coming years?

Hey Hushcom,

I have a poor undergraduate GPA with a very good (4.0) graduate and post bacc. My overall undergraduate is low but a huge upward trend. I am concerned that schools may want to reject me because of being irresponsible when I was younger. Some of my grades are 8 years old and not indicative of who am I today or my work ethic. Would you recommend bringing my perspective on this matter to the adcoms attention in the secondary application when they ask you "Is there anything else you would like us to know?" in that final question?

Thanks for your time!

Hi Hushcom - been wondering about one of my EC's lately.

I'm a pro surfer. I compete on tour and am in several main stream surf films. I realize this has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence, medicine, etc...but I'd venture I'd probably be the only professional surfer applying, let alone enrolled in a medical program (should I be accepted)...does that count for anything?!

REPEAT NOTICE: As summer approaches I have decided to wind this thread down, at least in terms of my contributions. I will respond to all questions/inbox inquiries through Monday, May 12 before going on hiatus.

Hi hushcom,

I am a non-trad applicant who has taken the MCAT a total of 3 times over the past four years. My first two scores taken in 2010 & in 2012 (both 21 - yikes!) were from when I was a naive pre-med who lacked the worth ethic to make decent grades and study effectively for the MCAT. I decided to switch to pre-med as a senior in college, and failed to see the reality of the challenges of "pre-med life" until much later.

For the past 2.5 yrs, I have worked as a Nutritionist (I majored in Nutritional Science) at a safety net clinic for underserved - predominately Hispanic/Latino - patients. I really enjoy working with the community that I serve, but feel limited in the ways I can make a difference in healthcare - I can't make the big dent that physicians have the privilege of making through their work. That's my motivation for becoming a doc.

I unsuccessfully applied to med school last cycle after scoring a 26 on my MCAT last year. I have a pretty meh GPAs - sGPA of 3.21 and GPA of 3.37 - closer to 3.6 each for the DO applications. I will be studying for yet another MCAT retake in late June. I have recognized my weaknesses and what improvements I can make in my studying habits, setting my sights on a 30+, since I cannot change my GPA. For one thing, I feel that I am more in tune with the realities of getting into medical school and the reality of how hard I will have to bust my ass when I become a medical student (I can't really know until I'm there, but I know for sure it won't be a breeze).

My question is: how can I convey all this in my application (i.e., my poor work ethic and
my naivety when it came to academics)? Say I do make a 31-35 on a retake. I hope that that number will get me through the screening process at the schools to which I apply. I am applying broadly and realistically, to mostly DO schools and a few MD schools. I am aware of the schools that recognize "reinvention", and I hope that those schools will place considerable weight on my 30+ MCAT. Thank you...

I apologize up front if this comes off as condescending, but you convey all this in your application by filling it out. If you manage to increase your MCAT to 30+ that will speak for itself. Just don't spend your entire PS trying to explain your deficiencies.

Hello everyone in this forum, and especially Hushcom,

I am trying to decide between University of South Carolina, Greenville, which has offered me almost a full ride (I'd pay about 5k a year) but is brand new (only two years old) and Washington University in St. Louis.

How important is the prestige of the medical school attended to residency programs?

If there is another page on SDN discussing this topic, please send me that way!

Thanks!

Hello everyone in this forum, and especially Hushcom,

I am trying to decide between University of South Carolina, Greenville, which has offered me almost a full ride (I'd pay about 5k a year) but is brand new (only two years old) and Washington University in St. Louis.

How important is the prestige of the medical school attended to residency programs?

If there is another page on SDN discussing this topic, please send me that way!

Thanks!
Most people post to the school specific discussions forums for "School X vs. School Y" threads. You'll probably get a lot more responses there!

Is it rude or offensive to ask average step scores to adcoms when you are an accepted applicant to several schools and need time to decide one?

what's my hypothetical chance?

CA Resident
3+ years in CC (including ALL prereqs), than transfer to university and take upper division science courses
3.7+ gpa
32+ MCAT
Some research
2+ years of weekly community service
150 hours of shadowing
1+ years of weekly clinical experience

Chances?

In case anyone else knows the answer to this : How do M.D. Adcoms feel about students with D.O. letters of rec, or their general interest in applying to D.O. schools as well.

I ask because: I was told vice versa is fine, but no info on the other way around..

Last edited:
Hello! Thank you so much for your help.

I just got my MCAT score back yesterday, and I have no idea what an Adcom will think. I am confused and frustrated. My brief background...I previously took the MCAT twice two years ago and received a 27(7 PS, 9 Verbal, 11 BS), I then retook the MCAT 2 months later and scored 28(9 PS, 8 Verbal, 11 BS). I received two interviews at allopathic schools and was waitlisted at both. Both deans of admissions from those schools in follow up interviews told me my application overall was good but I basically needed to improve my MCAT score. I decided to wait a year and reapply early this cycle instead of rushing my application and turning it in late last cycle.

After restudying from scratch for 4 months I improved my score to a 30 (11 PS, 11 Verbal, and 8 BS)
While I am ecstatic about my PS and Verbal improving by so much, I was shocked at my BS score of an 8. I have no idea how I scored so low and now you can see my concern. I felt very prepared for the BS section because I was consistently scoring 10-11's in practice exams and I devoted a significant amount of time towards it.

So my main question is what is an Adcom going to think of me scoring an 8 in BS on my third exam even though I scored two 11's in a row during previous MCATs?

I am reapplying this cycle to MD and DO schools.
Thank you!

Question from a friend who doesn't want to get an SDN account (for obvious reasons): Thoughts on an August 27 MCAT? her primary is already submitted and verified.

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Hello hushcom,

I recently noticed an error on my submitted primary application. As one of my most meaningful experiences, I listed being a club president from June 2013-14. In the written description, I briefly mentioned how I was the club’s secretary the prior year – however, I mistakenly wrote that I started my secretary position in September 2013 instead of 2012. Do you think this is an error worth updating schools about? I am planning to mention it on secondaries if the schools ask for any “additional information” of that sort, but if the secondaries do not ask that, what should I do? Send an update letter around the time of secondaries, or just let it go? I know this was a bad mistake but I’m hoping to correct it somehow, since it was such a big part of my undergrad experience in leadership. Thanks!

REPEAT NOTICE: As summer approaches I have decided to wind this thread down, at least in terms of my contributions. I will respond to all questions/inbox inquiries through Monday, May 12 before going on hiatus.

What say we revive this thread for a little while? Interview season is approaching and it's time to get psyched.

Reactions: 13 users
What say we revive this thread for a little while? Interview season is approaching and it's time to get psyched.
Can you shed light on what is happening right now in this phase of the application cycle? Surely it differs everywhere, but people are getting IIs at various times it seems like. What is really going on inside the black box? Is there an easy explanation as to how things go from us giving you our secondaries to that email with an II? Does the timing serve as an indicator of your interest (first of the pack vs. last of the pack)? Or are there other factors (people that review it take different times to review, etc.). Hopefully this makes sense... thank you!

Can you shed light on what is happening right now in this phase of the application cycle? Surely it differs everywhere, but people are getting IIs at various times it seems like. What is really going on inside the black box? Is there an easy explanation as to how things go from us giving you our secondaries to that email with an II? Does the timing serve as an indicator of your interest (first of the pack vs. last of the pack)? Or are there other factors (people that review it take different times to review, etc.). Hopefully this makes sense... thank you!

+1. Would like to know how adcoms decide what secondary gets reviewed first. seems like people that are complete at a later date than me are getting reviewed first while my app status remain motionless.

I think it's very idiosyncratic from school to school. I am not involved in screening, but I am sure screening processes vary a great deal, ranging from chronological to more targeted. I am also sure that some places are much more efficient than others at reducing the massive pile of AMCAS applications. I would not use the interval from secondary to interview invite as an indicator of anything. While hypothetically true that a school with a sophisticated screening process might opt to chase more promising candidates earlier in the process, there is not way to tell if that is actually happening. So sit back, relax, and try to enjoy the ride.

+1. Would like to know how adcoms decide what secondary gets reviewed first. seems like people that are complete at a later date than me are getting reviewed first while my app status remain motionless.

Unfortunately I think you would have to conduct academic espionage to get a reliable answer to this question. Suffice to say that schools have to do a lot of crunching to whittle down their pools, and the process is charitably described as imperfect.

I just recently learned that women on average score 2 points lower on the MCAT. Does your admissions committee take this into account in any way? If so, how?

Just a question regarding gpa for a Canadian student. I saw a conversion table posted on premed101 for my school to American gpa (AMCAS?). Is that the gpa that schools I apply to will receive? How does the conversion work?

Thanks

Where did you hear this??

I just recently learned that women on average score 2 points lower on the MCAT. Does your admissions committee take this into account in any way? If so, how?

@hushcom
I saw the question regarding "medical missions" and I read your answer saying that they're a dime a dozen and are generally looked at as just "fluff" for rich kids' applications. However, I'd like to ask a follow up question that's more specific to my situation.

I am the "VP of medicine" in the medical brigades club at my school, which means that I'm in charge of attaining all of the medications that we need to go on a medical mission to Honduras this summer. I also have the opportunity to become the president of the club starting in a few months, where I'll basically be in charge of all preparations for another medical mission to Honduras next summer (in charge of ~30-40 other students who will be going on the trip, hiring doctors and nurses, collecting medications, running fundraisers, preparing flights, etc). Furthermore, my trip won't be funded by rich parents, it's completely funded by fundraising throughout the year, personal donations from family friends, and a large grant from my school. While in Honduras, we'll treat about 900 people, and we take significant measures to ensure that the community doesn't become dependent on us and that our trip has long-lasting positive effects on the community.

I've really enjoyed my involvement so far, I'm confident that I'll enjoy my experience in Honduras, I think that I'll end up learning a lot (both as a result of having leadership roles as well as having interesting clinical experiences abroad), and I feel like I'm actually able to make a meaningful difference in many lives.

I'm just wondering if this will be considered "fluff" as well, or if it wold be taken more seriously than most other medical missions. I'm concerned that the time commitment that I'll have to make might not be worth the improvement to my application. How do you think this would be viewed by adcoms when I apply in a couple years?

Our interview pool is about 50:50 M:F, and the GPA and MCAT stats between the two are statistically indistinguishable. From a committee standpoint it is not an issue, but this issue is an interesting (and somewhat disturbing) one. I would need much more complete data sets to further a guess as to what is going on here.

Reactions: 2 users
Just a question regarding gpa for a Canadian student. I saw a conversion table posted on premed101 for my school to American gpa (AMCAS?). Is that the gpa that schools I apply to will receive? How does the conversion work?

Thanks

I see whatever AMCAS spits out. I do not know the inner workings of that beast, nor do I want to.

@hushcom
I saw the question regarding "medical missions" and I read your answer saying that they're a dime a dozen and are generally looked at as just "fluff" for rich kids' applications. However, I'd like to ask a follow up question that's more specific to my situation.

I am the "VP of medicine" in the medical brigades club at my school, which means that I'm in charge of attaining all of the medications that we need to go on a medical mission to Honduras this summer. I also have the opportunity to become the president of the club starting in a few months, where I'll basically be in charge of all preparations for another medical mission to Honduras next summer (in charge of ~30-40 other students who will be going on the trip, hiring doctors and nurses, collecting medications, running fundraisers, preparing flights, etc). Furthermore, my trip won't be funded by rich parents, it's completely funded by fundraising throughout the year, personal donations from family friends, and a large grant from my school. While in Honduras, we'll treat about 900 people, and we take significant measures to ensure that the community doesn't become dependent on us and that our trip has long-lasting positive effects on the community.

I've really enjoyed my involvement so far, I'm confident that I'll enjoy my experience in Honduras, I think that I'll end up learning a lot (both as a result of having leadership roles as well as having interesting clinical experiences abroad), and I feel like I'm actually able to make a meaningful difference in many lives.

I'm just wondering if this will be considered "fluff" as well, or if it wold be taken more seriously than most other medical missions. I'm concerned that the time commitment that I'll have to make might not be worth the improvement to my application. How do you think this would be viewed by adcoms when I apply in a couple years?

How it is viewed will depend on how you explain it. I would include many of the details you listed above in the AMCAS description, although not so many that it comes off as defensive. You are still open to many of the standard criticisms of medical missions, though, so be ready.

Reactions: 3 users
Do adcoms take into account the amount of time between a secondary being sent and it being returned? (I.e. does a response time of 2 weeks look like a lack of interest or responsibility?)

Obviously I understand that earlier is better anyways for purposes of rolling admissions. Thanks!

How it is viewed will depend on how you explain it. I would include many of the details you listed above in the AMCAS description, although not so many that it comes off as defensive. You are still open to many of the standard criticisms of medical missions, though, so be ready.
The standard criticisms being what, exactly?

The standard criticisms being what, exactly?

The transience of the aid, the effort to help those outside the country when there are many in need inside our borders, that sort of thing. It can turn into an ethical quagmire pretty quickly if you pull a bad interviewer. I'm not saying I agree with those sentiments, but they exist.

Do adcoms take into account the amount of time between a secondary being sent and it being returned? (I.e. does a response time of 2 weeks look like a lack of interest or responsibility?)

Obviously I understand that earlier is better anyways for purposes of rolling admissions. Thanks!

If two weeks signifies a lack of interest/responsibility, I'm a deadman! Some of us have full time jobs :rolleyes: But I'd like to know the answer to this too. I was under the impression that 4 weeks or less was fine.

I think the only time a gap might be noticed is if the secondary rolls in right before the final deadline, but by that point there will be few if any interview slots remaining. There is no magical graph plotting your turnaround time versus your level of interest and/or degree of personal responsibility. If you just prioritize them and work through them steadily there should be no issue.

The transience of the aid, the effort to help those outside the country when there are many in need inside our borders, that sort of thing. It can turn into an ethical quagmire pretty quickly if you pull a bad interviewer. I'm not saying I agree with those sentiments, but they exist.
Ah, that makes sense (unfortunately). Is there a way that you recommend I frame the experience to display it in a better light? Also, are there any similar opportunities/organizations within America that you could recommend?