another science gpa question :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancer2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've searched the boards and have been reading posts for awhile... I was wondering if someone could clarify how to calculate the science gpa? I know that for podiatry you only use biology, physics, and chemistry for the science gpa, but I was wondering how do you calculate + or -? If I received a B- in a course does that count as a B- 2.7 or BC 2.5? Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I've searched the boards and have been reading posts for awhile... I was wondering if someone could clarify how to calculate the science gpa? I know that for podiatry you only use biology, physics, and chemistry for the science gpa, but I was wondering how do you calculate + or -? If I received a B- in a course does that count as a B- 2.7 or BC 2.5? Thanks for your help!

what's a "BC"? Is this from a school in the US?

My undergrad (at the time) didn't use the "+,-" system, so it must be dependent on your undergrad. how do they count it where you went to school?

They used the + or - system so then then you would use that to calculate it?

Members don't see this ad :)
They used the + or - system so then then you would use that to calculate it?

i thought math was included on the application...

i thought math was included on the application...

correct, if you click the help next to the calculation of GPA section it will tell you how to calculate the GPA and what classes to include in science and non science.

correct, if you click the help next to the calculation of GPA section it will tell you how to calculate the GPA and what classes to include in science and non science.

So then to clarify.. math is included in the science gpa? I have not looked at the application yet because I won't be applying until next fall.

What level of math starts to count as "college"/ factor into the gpa computation? I took a few math courses (like trig.)at a community college before high school and those courses didn't transfer over to the UC institution I attend. Are they considered "remedial" (not remedial for me when I took it) since they didn't transfer = not counting towards the gpa computation? (not that I can do anything about them, but I'm just curious). I know classes like Calc & Stats would count.
Thanks!

Math is included

Are you sure? because I specifically remembered looking up the math classes in the application information and all the math classes were listed to be calculated in the non-science gpa section, not to be included in the science gpa.

Are you sure? because I specifically remembered looking up the math classes in the application information and all the math classes were listed to be calculated in the non-science gpa section, not to be included in the science gpa.

I didn't take math in college (I tested out with a "5" on BC calc) so I can tell you that SCPM doesn't necessary care about your "math" gpa. I personally don't think it's important, but I do miss doing math... (it's an asian thing)

I didn't take math in college (I tested out with a "5" on BC calc) so I can tell you that SCPM doesn't necessary care about your "math" gpa. I personally don't think it's important, but I do miss doing math... (it's an asian thing)

Oh hey, did you take Calculus based Physics in college? (If you did) How much calculus is required? I haven't had math for a long time...

Thanks!

Oh hey, did you take Calculus based Physics in college? (If you did) How much calculus is required? I haven't had math for a long time...

Thanks!

yeah i did. very little and mostly the basics. Even an AB Calc guy or gal could breeze through it.

Thanks!

I took cal based physics I a couple of semesters ago, and it wasnt bad.

Hm, over at my university if you tested out on BC cal, that only covers cal 1 and 2. You still have to take cal 3 for bio majors.

Cal 3 aint bad. :p

Hm, over at my university if you tested out on BC cal, that only covers cal 1 and 2. You still have to take cal 3 for bio majors.

Cal 3 aint bad. :p

I was a chem major and tested out of all 3 at my university. might be dependent on the school.