Any excercise plans before OMM lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fabu1ous

Wow, it is so clear...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I'm not a super triathaloner (;) TT), and you probably won't see an avatar of me running... my snapshot would prob be me reading at Dunkin' with a mocha blast in my hand (which is thee best drink ever IMHO :love:). BUT, given that school is quickly approaching with OMM labs, and I will be seen in my minumums, I need help getting rid of my maximums :rolleyes:.

I know there was a funny thread last year with many plans on how to get in shape. I am 33 w/two little ones, looking like a third on the way that sadly just ain't so... and I can't afford a tummy tuck :D. Any advice? OK, and yes, I'm willing to give up the blasts... shoot.

Members don't see this ad.

hhaa. i need all the help i can get too.. too bad i just love food..

Members don't see this ad :)
I know there was a funny thread last year with many plans on how to get in shape. I am 33 w/two little ones, looking like a third on the way that sadly just ain't so... and I can't afford a tummy tuck :D. Any advice? OK, and yes, I'm willing to give up the blasts... shoot.

Low fat / low sugar diet and lots of cardio. You could also try the low carb route... that seems to work for a lot of people. Read somewhere else besides Dunkin... too much temptation there (no more blasts). It'll be difficult at first, but you'll get used to your new (healthier) ways and you'll have some positive reinforcement when you start shedding the pounds!

Ugh I wish all diets REQUIRED you to eat loads of carbs for a carb-junkie like me :rolleyes: But I am with you fabu1ous - I need to get rid of my winter heating blubber too :p

Exercise is important and good for overall health, but without a proper diet it won't do as much as you'd think/hope for the way your body looks. Consider that running only burns about 100 calories an hour. Just looking at a mocha blast contains more calories than that. So I'd say exercise for sure, but when it comes down to it, a proper diet is key. Get a good balance of diet and exercise and you're good to go.

I'm trying to figure out how many of you maybe have five extra pounds to lose. I am definitely not one of those people. Now who wants to come be my personal trainer? Anyone? Anyone? :cool:

You burn a hell of a lot more than 100 calories/hour running. Depending on your speed, it will be more in the 600-1000 range.

I'm trying to figure out how many of you maybe have five extra pounds to lose. I am definitely not one of those people. Now who wants to come be my personal trainer? Anyone? Anyone? :cool:

I will I will!! But we'd prob end up laughing the whole time... and end up at Dunkin. Hmmm. I hear laughing burns calories though...

Members don't see this ad :)
You burn a hell of a lot more than 100 calories/hour running. Depending on your speed, it will be more in the 600-1000 range.

I think it usually comes out to about 100 kcal per mile

I think it usually comes out to about 100 kcal per mile

Yeah, my dad is a marathoner and I occasionally read his Runner's World mags. I read recently that the avg. marathon runner burns ~2600 calories or 100 calories a mile. It obviously varies with pace and weight, but that's about the avg.

OK, so I'm not a super triathaloner (;) TT), and you probably won't see an avatar of me running... my snapshot would prob be me reading at Dunkin' with a mocha blast in my hand (which is thee best drink ever IMHO :love:). BUT, given that school is quickly approaching with OMM labs, and I will be seen in my minumums, I need help getting rid of my maximums :rolleyes:.

Haha, I had #3 - 6 months ago and look like I'm probably still 6 months pregnant (ok, I've lost a little, maybe only 3 months pregnant)! I figure that most americans are obese, I'm just going to be giving everyone practice at what real life is like. We are going to have to palpate through a thick layer of fat sooner or later, right?

Really, I'm hoping to be closer to my normal before school starts, but seeing as I still have about 20 lbs to lose I just doubt that I'll be wearing my bikini at the beach this summer!

My diet requires me to eat loads of carbs.

I'm curious, how much do you excercise on an average week? # days/# hours per day? And not just because I too want to be able to eat loads of carbs... well maybe a little...

Yeah, I used to be a personal trainer. Now I can't even help myself. It's all a time issue for me. When I only have 30 min to eat a meal and I'm 45 min away from home it's just all to easy to get Wendys!

That's right Kateb4-- you do have a little tiny one. Ugh, I have no excuse, my youngest is already 2, that excuse has long expired.

I hope we will be lab partners!!! :D Go LECOM-B

I'm curious, how much do you excercise on an average week? # days/# hours per day? And not just because I too want to be able to eat loads of carbs... well maybe a little...
Come on...you guys are going to be doctors! Wise up and lose this aversion to carbs. If you want to eat carbs, go nuts. Losing/maintaining weight is simple math. Want to eat giant bowls of pasta for dinner? As long as you are burning an equal number of calories that day (include time spent sleeping, working, etc), you can eat all you want and not gain a single pound.

That's right Kateb4-- you do have a little tiny one. Ugh, I have no excuse, my youngest is already 2, that excuse has long expired.

I hope we will be lab partners!!! :D Go LECOM-B

Hey, it took me 2 years to lose the weight from my first. The pic in my sig was a couple of months after that, then I went and got pregnant again (for the last time). If we get to pick, I'd be happy to be lab partners with you (then we can go to Dunkin' after class for a treat!)

In training for buffalo springs, my goal will be roughly 15-18 hours of cardio, and about 3-4 hours of weights per week.

Buffalo springs is generally considered to be the hardest half-ironman course in the country. Mostly because of the heat, but the course itself is challenging too. I figure if I'm going to do anything like this any time soon, now is the time.

Haha, I had #3 - 6 months ago and look like I'm probably still 6 months pregnant (ok, I've lost a little, maybe only 3 months pregnant)! I figure that most americans are obese, I'm just going to be giving everyone practice at what real life is like. We are going to have to palpate through a thick layer of fat sooner or later, right?

Really, I'm hoping to be closer to my normal before school starts, but seeing as I still have about 20 lbs to lose I just doubt that I'll be wearing my bikini at the beach this summer!

Kate I saw you.. and there is NO way you look pregnant in the least!!

My diet rocks. I eat about 3200 calories per day and about every three hours (6' 0'' 182lbs). I exercise about 5 times per week (cardio with weights about 2-3 times per week) and I love it. I lost about 15 pounds the first month and a half and I have a ton of energy. I eat carbs, but only good ones like vegetables, fruits and whole grains. My diet consists of basically any fruit, any vegetable, and lean poultry and fish. No hydrogenated oils, no trans fat, no canned food, no high fructose corn syrup, etc. Feel great and looking much better. Not too worried about fat as I am hoping my many tattoos will cover it all up:D.

My diet rocks. I eat about 3200 calories per day and about every three hours (6' 0'' 182lbs). I exercise about 5 times per week (cardio with weights about 2-3 times per week) and I love it. I lost about 15 pounds the first month and a half and I have a ton of energy. I eat carbs, but only good ones like vegetables, fruits and whole grains. My diet consists of basically any fruit, any vegetable, and lean poultry and fish. No hydrogenated oils, no trans fat, no canned food, no high fructose corn syrup, etc. Feel great and looking much better. Not too worried about fat as I am hoping my many tattoos will cover it all up:D.

::sigh:: my dream motivation :rolleyes:

I'm bulking up for OMM lab :D

I started worrying about this "almost naked in OMM lab" as soon as I was accepted!

I've lost about 25 lbs since October... and feel great. People always ask me my secret- but really there is none. Calories out must > than calories in. Easier said than done.

I substituted flavored water (drop a Propel powder packet into H2O) instead of drinking a coke, stop eating late night snacks... and never stuff myself. I quit eating a meal as soon as I start to feel full (JLo does this). Since the brain takes a couple minutes after eating to register the feeling of "fullness" if you stop before you are almost full, in a couple minutes your brain will tell you you ARE full. Works every time.

I also became a gym rat - well hit the gym at least 5 of 7 days. I started to get bored with that recently, so my guy and I set up a bad minton net in the back yard and we play that, or we play tennis... couples stuff. Keeps exercise interesting.

I guess at the end, I remember this quote I read somewhere.. maybe Shape magazine? "Being thin/losing weight will taste better than any food you could eat."

Its true :)

Definitely in major freak out mode about OMM! That started the day I toured AZCOM and heard from some kid you have to be in shorts and a sports bra. So not happening! (I'm pretty sure he was talking about a different school, though). So, I bought a pair of roller blades and am learning how to roller blade (good to shrink my bum, I can tell b/c it's still sore. I blade uphill). I started weight training/cardio again, too. I also plan on becoming a sun junkie this spring just as soon as I move (my new complex has a pool). My mother always told me "tan fat looks better than pale fat"! Sit ups...push ups...Oh dear. I'm do not wear shorts in public unless I am ACTIVELY working out at the time. This is not going to go well!

I hope I can get my man-breasts in good enough shape where I won't need a sports bra.

What's the "70.3" mean in the tri description? Total distance?

Additional exercise for OMM - what for?

My beard alone has experienced more than a lesser man's entire body...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjmdpI_NSyk[/YOUTUBE]

70.3 is the distance of a half-ironman race. Not all 70.3's are created equal, however.

The race I have picked out is at the end of June, in Lubbock, TX. That is basically the desert. They also managed to find the only hills in the entire region, and put the race course on them. It is a nasty, nasty race. I can't wait.

70.3 is the distance of a half-ironman race. Not all 70.3's are created equal, however.

The race I have picked out is at the end of June, in Lubbock, TX. That is basically the desert. They also managed to find the only hills in the entire region, and put the race course on them. It is a nasty, nasty race. I can't wait.

Dry, hilly and nasty is how I remember Wildflower, and I loved it. "Beach hill" is a 7% grade for about a mile. Maybe it was a half mile. Maybe it was stairs. It was a long time ago. OMG it was 1993. All I've really done since is Danskins. Less of a triathlon than a group hug.

Wow, ok that hill WAS a mile, and the race is a 70.3 now too: http://www.tricalifornia.com/index.cfm/Wildflower2008-course_descriptions_long_course.htm

im planning on doing a little bit of cardio and lifting each day mixed with some 12 oz. curls on the weekend. both seem to relieve stress pretty well

A 14-year-old girl won the Danskin here in Austin last year.

She is legit though. Future top pro if she decides to go that route. She is ridiculous, and good in all three disciplines.

Who else is worried about keeping up their current work out routine when the craziness actually begins? :-(

I hope that no matter how busy things get that I will still be able to turn to exercise for relief

Who else is worried about keeping up their current work out routine when the craziness actually begins? :-(

I hope that no matter how busy things get that I will still be able to turn to exercise for relief

I often end up sacrificing sleep for working out. Fortunately I find the older I get the less I need sleep.

I will be swimming this summer. Swimming is just an overall great workout.

I will I will!! But we'd prob end up laughing the whole time... and end up at Dunkin. Hmmm. I hear laughing burns calories though...

Sounds great!! Where do I sign up and how far do you live from Texas? ;)

I finally got back in the gym yesterday. I'm paying for it today. I love sore muscles. It's a really good feeling. I also like short sentences.

I will be swimming this summer. Swimming is just an overall great workout.

Yes, it is.

You know, I've got a random question with regard to swimming now that you mention it. I swam competitively as a kid and recently started again as part of my usual workout regimen before hitting the weights. Aside from it being a hassle to change clothing prior to heading into the gym section and then again after the weights, is there any problem with the chlorinated water?

As an aside, I've seen those new, awesome pools at a few houses that use brine in lieu of the chlorine and they are just pristine. And then while shopping at Whole Foods, I notice a shower head that removes chlorine from your tap with a charcoal filter. Would swimming for 30-60 minutes really be that dangerous or is it mostly fear hype? I don't trust those pool tools at the gym to get the balance right all the time but is there a legitimate health risk swimming in chlorinated water?

Otherwise, my beard is full and my skin is hard yet supple, like fine Italian leather.

You should lift weights prior to doing your cardio workout.

Aside from it being a hassle to change clothing prior to heading into the gym section and then again after the weights, is there any problem with the chlorinated water?

As an aside, I've seen those new, awesome pools at a few houses that use brine in lieu of the chlorine and they are just pristine. And then while shopping at Whole Foods, I notice a shower head that removes chlorine from your tap with a charcoal filter. Would swimming for 30-60 minutes really be that dangerous or is it mostly fear hype? I don't trust those pool tools at the gym to get the balance right all the time but is there a legitimate health risk swimming in chlorinated water?

Fear hype. If you're in the pool 10 hours a day and you don't shower and you swallow gallons of pool water every day, you might want to think about chlorine. Otherwise the worst it can do is make your beard frizzy and your suit threadbare. The chlorine levels aren't even high enough to disrupt the propionibacteria in your pores much less affect GI commensals. Skin cells are supposed to get damaged and replaced, and chlorination barely affects that.

You should lift weights prior to doing your cardio workout.

You're right but there are various schools of thought on that subject... I understand the intent but I prefer the cardio fatigue prior to the weights for a number of reasons, one being to maintain HR elevation longer. It's just me and backasswards I guess.

Fear hype. If you're in the pool 10 hours a day and you don't shower and you swallow gallons of pool water every day, you might want to think about chlorine. Otherwise the worst it can do is make your beard frizzy and your suit threadbare. The chlorine levels aren't even high enough to disrupt the propionibacteria in your pores much less affect GI commensals. Skin cells are supposed to get damaged and replaced, and chlorination barely affects that.

That's noticias buenas - but not for my beard or my suits. I do keep a chilled pail of prosecco poolside to indulge before I transition to the sauna. Feel free to join.

There are about a million reasons to do your cardio after your weights. I will post more about this later.