Any excercise plans before OMM lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are about a million reasons to do your cardio after your weights. I will post more about this later.

And I did concur, did I not? I've an arm wrestling championship to attend this afternoon but will peruse your response when I return.

I'm set in my ways but it's quite possible I'll lift weights, swim, sip prosecco in the sauna, and then hit the weights again before combing my beard and exiting the facility.

Members don't see this ad.

Ever carbo-load on beer?

I don't always drink beer but when I do it's definitely not to carbo-load. I prefer the stimulating and seductive conversation of an interesting woman as opposed to being pre-occupied with what life will bring tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question- maybe this is what u refer to as carb loading? I don't know... anyhoo, I have these excercise bars I'm suppose to take ~15 min before excercising. They're super yummy and sweet, but it seems like it may not be the best thing to do if I'm trying to cut out the sweets :rolleyes:. But, I do notice a big diff in my energy level while I'm excercising (it's not so terrible).

So, what should I eat before excercising? Or should I be eating anything at all beforehand?

How do you guys find the motivation to keep things up? I'll go to the gym regularly for 2-3 weeks, and then suddenly I lose all motivation and won't go for 2 more weeks. Or I'll eat pretty well for a week or two and then give up. My major problem is eating out. I tried to keep a food diary and write down how many calories I ate each day, but I don't know how to do that when I'm out at a restaurant. I've tried to switch from a lot of pasta to salads, fish, and chicken, but my will power is less than impressive. :( Thoughts?

How do you guys find the motivation to keep things up? I'll go to the gym regularly for 2-3 weeks, and then suddenly I lose all motivation and won't go for 2 more weeks. Or I'll eat pretty well for a week or two and then give up. My major problem is eating out. I tried to keep a food diary and write down how many calories I ate each day, but I don't know how to do that when I'm out at a restaurant. I've tried to switch from a lot of pasta to salads, fish, and chicken, but my will power is less than impressive. :( Thoughts?

It's all about habits. When you're going regularly it becomes habitual. If you take a few days off (usually a good thing) and don't start up again you get in the habit of not going. If you find yourself not going for 2 or 3 days then force yourself to go with the knowledge that if you don't, you likely will stop going for a long period. Not as easy as it sounds, I know.

Can't help you with the food thing, unfortunately. Damn Mexican restaurants...

There are about a million reasons to do your cardio after your weights. I will post more about this later.

One of the most important being injury prevention...

Also helps to do core heavy exercises at the end so you don't destroy your back doing squats or something.

I love all these stupid diets. It really is a simple concept. Put in less calories than you use if you want to lose weight. One is allowed to have ice cream and what not, just in smaller servings. Portion control is the biggest thing. If you're trying to be a bodybuilder I'd give a different recommendation which gets much more complicated. Just slowly start cutting calories. A note card where you jot down what you eat during the day is a good way to do this. If you can cut ONLY 100 calories in a day, then you start to get some serious discounts by the end. 100 calories is less than 1 coke, but by the end of the week that is 700 calories right there that you didn't consume. Once you start realizing how much effort it takes to burn those calories off you'll respect that. Next you find an activity you enjoy doing. You don't have to be hardcore weight lifting or anything. Just 30 minutes of a brisk walk with friends is a fine start. I also recommend more of a grazing approach through the day. Try 5 or 6 smaller meals rather than 3 bigger ones...keeping track of calories of course.

Also, as noted, fat/lovehandles doesn't make you unhealthy. Some people just have it. When I quit doing the extreme stuff for bodybuilding it was almost impossible to keep that little bit off. I am willing to bet I was in better shape than the vast majority of people in this country. I was a long distance swimmer, in addition to tennis training and trying to get what resembled a powerlifting routine. I was so exhausted after the other stuff I could rarely get over a 450 lbs squat (which wasn't much for me at a time)

Once you start seeing results it gets to be an addiction. You look in the mirror and you're like "Damn I look good."

Just keep it up and track your progress and once you start seeing what a difference it makes in how you look you'll be hooked.

Once you start seeing results it gets to be an addiction. You look in the mirror and you're like "Damn I look good."

Just keep it up and track your progress and once you start seeing what a difference it makes in how you look you'll be hooked.
For serious, and this goes out to people no matter body type. I'm slowly working my way down to a healthy weight.

Diet I've got decently down, as long as I can stick to it (got a whole lot easier when I moved to within a mile of the best farmer's market ever). Exercise I need to work on. I'm having difficulty finding time, probably due to lurking SDN so much. Also, no gyms near me.

Things I would recommend:
1. Cooking for yourself. I like to play with recipes from http://www.101cookbooks.com/index.html. Vegetarian, but I can usually use them as side dishes.

2. CrossFit. That's just me, I'd listen to the professionals and their take before I'd put too much belief in it. If I could scrape together to money to join a local gym, I'd be all over it. Used to live right by one owned by my rugby coach. Worst thing ever while you're doing it, but so so good when you're done.

I have a question- maybe this is what u refer to as carb loading? I don't know... anyhoo, I have these excercise bars I'm suppose to take ~15 min before excercising. They're super yummy and sweet, but it seems like it may not be the best thing to do if I'm trying to cut out the sweets :rolleyes:. But, I do notice a big diff in my energy level while I'm excercising (it's not so terrible).

So, what should I eat before excercising? Or should I be eating anything at all beforehand?

Yes, always eat some source of food before exercising (does not matter time of the day) and keep it 20-60 mins before depending on the amount and how well you can handle the meal. I can not stress this enough to our gym members. Many members come in during the morning with an empty stomach to work out and then as time passes they find themselves unable to continue working out simply because they are hypoglycemic. This not a pretty picture especially for diabetics.

I guess my problem is more that I'm a picky eater than anything else. I don't constantly eat, and when I do, it's not like I'm eating horrible foods (except for the occasional cookie). I just love pasta. :( Maybe I'll just eat a bunch of vegetables for dinner tonight lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess my problem is more that I'm a picky eater than anything else. I don't constantly eat, and when I do, it's not like I'm eating horrible foods (except for the occasional cookie). I just love pasta. :( Maybe I'll just eat a bunch of vegetables for dinner tonight lol.

Shifting the focus towards the health issue, you should be eating a variety sources of foods to promote good health. Good Nutrition is the key to avoiding too much inflammation which causes heart disease and other painful degrading diseases. For example when your HDL levels are low you will have a hard time getting rid of lipids in your blood. As the lipids stay in your blood, they have high chance of getting attacked (or reduced) by oxygen radicals (hydroxyl radicals cause major damage). Lipid peroxidation causes carcinogens to produce.

You know about eating 5-6 moderate size meals a day consisting of lean protein sources, fiber (lignin can bind carcinogens to enhance elimination through feces), complex carbs (your brain and nerves primary source of energy is glucose, thats why you shake and have headaches when your sugar levels are low, essential fatty acids (linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid) without them you wont survive, etc.

Its ok once a week to have cheat meal or day to keep you sane!

Oh yea TEA>>coffee

Ugh, you guys inspired me to work out and now I'm dead. I need to get back on the workout wagon.

Ugh, you guys inspired me to work out and now I'm dead. I need to get back on the workout wagon.

Me too! It's time to go back to the Gym.

:laugh: I like this thread...

Anyway, when school first started, most of students around me were in pretty decent shape, for the most part... I bet if we reassessed at regular intervals throughout first year, we'd find that a lot of folks got a bit more out of shape, whatever that was for each individual... It was fairly visible. I just recently decided to get off my butt and start jogging again.

Good idea, though. I hope you all continue to work out and eat right throughout medical school and beyond. If OMM lab is going to be your motivation, I'm all for it. :thumbup:

All these posts from triathletes reminded me of what I've learned from hanging out with several of them...they make you feel like your lazy because you didn't run 10 miles today or bike 20, don't take workout advice from them because they are superhuman workout freaks, and its nearly impossible to aspire to their eating habits because they are completely dedicated.

A fairly balanced diet made of home cooked food (with pizza eating binges occasionally) and moderate workouts are more realistic for us normal people

Shifting the focus towards the health issue, you should be eating a variety sources of foods to promote good health. Good Nutrition is the key to avoiding too much inflammation which causes heart disease and other painful degrading diseases. For example when your HDL levels are low you will have a hard time getting rid of lipids in your blood. As the lipids stay in your blood, they have high chance of getting attacked (or reduced) by oxygen radicals (hydroxyl radicals cause major damage). Lipid peroxidation causes carcinogens to produce.

You know about eating 5-6 moderate size meals a day consisting of lean protein sources, fiber (lignin can bind carcinogens to enhance elimination through feces), complex carbs (your brain and nerves primary source of energy is glucose, thats why you shake and have headaches when your sugar levels are low, essential fatty acids (linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid) without them you wont survive, etc.

Its ok once a week to have cheat meal or day to keep you sane!

Oh yea TEA>>coffee

I've tried eating smaller meals plus a few healthy snacks throughout the day, and that does seem to work better. I really need to work on choosing foods more wisely though. And I don't drink coffee. Or tea, for that matter. I also try to drink mostly water/juice and the occasional pop (1/day).

OCHO, Ironman, JoeC... (and others, too... I just couldn't put too many more names in short term memory :) and din't want to do 10k quotes)

This is really really good advice. I'm like u, doingmybest, it's hard to be consistent consistently (?) u get what I'm saying.

OCHO, I think u really hit it on the nose, it's best to start small, be real, and start habits I will actually be able to keep, even while in school. I have 2 little ones, and between school and my 3rd baby (my hubbie), I won't have time to workout for 1hr day/5 days week. My kids and husband are active, I'm thinking I can come up w/some family activities, too... hmm.

BUT, being Puerto Rican and all, coffee is totally a social thing... if you come over, u want coffee? Is coffee a big no no? :( Maybe I should've been French... (not a big tea drinker :rolleyes:)

OCHO, Ironman, JoeC... (and others, too... I just couldn't put too many more names in short term memory :) and din't want to do 10k quotes)

This is really really good advice. I'm like u, doingmybest, it's hard to be consistent consistently (?) u get what I'm saying.

OCHO, I think u really hit it on the nose, it's best to start small, be real, and start habits I will actually be able to keep, even while in school. I have 2 little ones, and between school and my 3rd baby (my hubbie), I won't have time to workout for 1hr day/5 days week. My kids and husband are active, I'm thinking I can come up w/some family activities, too... hmm.

BUT, being Puerto Rican and all, coffee is totally a social thing... if you come over, u want coffee? Is coffee a big no no? :( Maybe I should've been French... (not a big tea drinker :rolleyes:)

coffee is actually an antioxidant, and is not the worse of all the habits you could have, it really is more the caffeine that causes a problem, but I would say if you are making a choice between coffee and a snickers bar please choose coffee, especially swiss processed decaf.

But if your Puerto Rican, you should be drinking yerba mate, verdad?

I'm chubby... always have been, always will be-- Even my conditioning coaches couldnt get me to lose weight... for 5 years of amateur and professional fighting I ate perfect (and i do mean PERFECT) and exercised 4+hrs/6days per week...

Am I healthy?- you bet I am. I have pizza or a few beers on occasion, but I still lift some monster weights (even after knee surgery -- approaching 1200 3 lift again...) I can't run because it shredd's my knees worse than squatting, but I do High Intensity Intervals on my Concept 2 rowing machine 45min sessions, 2x/day with boxing practice in the evening...

even with all that lovely workout action-- I still am 250 (@6'1") with ~ 20% (or more now that it's winter) body fat...

Would I like to have a Model's Body?.. sure--- does it bother me that I'm stuck with the "chubby white boy" gene pool? Not in the slightest...

I'm rather fond of my Pooh-bear appearance... with tree-trunk legs =P

I'm rather fond of my Pooh-bear appearance... with tree-trunk legs =P
Hey, at least that's better than a ripped upper body with chicken legs. Used to give my brother so much hell for that.

TT is right. I carbo load and still stay skinny. Its a matter of intake/burned. So watch the amount of cals. you intake and burn that amount or more exercising garantee that you will lose weight. Just an fyi I am 5.10" and weighed 215 now I weigh 155-160 depending on the day. If running hurts your knees to much try the eliptical or bicycle. They don't burn as much but still do the trick if you put the effort in. :)

i took a spinning class then yoga yesterday. almost died. i think i'm lucky to still be alive, so i'll just stick to my thumbprint cookies and taco bell. I figure i'll gain back any weight i loose anyway. (First-year 15 anyone??) Late night snacks and coffee...eating while i study...no one will be in shape by second year anways.:laugh:

Nothing wrong w/ coffee... it will not keep you from losing weight and there are proven health benefits associated w/ moderate coffee consumption! (just avoid adding whole milk or cream and a lot of sugar or syrups)

DOMS
delayed onset muscle soreness

you work out hard one day then feel sore the next day(s).
anyone hear anything new on the exact mechanism of this phenomenon?

Does it have anything to do with the "microtear" theory?

DOMS

A clear answer to this question is not currently available. However, there have been several proposed theories. 1)strenuous muscular contractions (especially eccentric contractions) result in structural damage in muscle and perhaps connective tissue as well, 2) calcium leaks out of the sarcoplasmic reticulum and collects in the mitochondria, which inhibits oxidative phosphorylation (ATP production is halted), 3) the buildup of calcium also activates enzymes (proteases), which degrade cellular proteins including contractile proteins, 4) this breakdown of muscle proteins results in an inflammatory process, which includes an increase in prostaglandin and histamine production, 5) the accumulation of histamines, potassium, prostaglandins, and edema surrounding muscle fibers stimulates pain receptors, which result in DOMS. None of these theories are universally accepted. Easiest way to explain it... muscle damage and inflammation!

257289892_677ef60841.jpg

This body was made for OMM. I worked hard to get this body... just for my fellow classmates.

OK, so I'm not a super triathaloner (;) TT), and you probably won't see an avatar of me running... my snapshot would prob be me reading at Dunkin' with a mocha blast in my hand (which is thee best drink ever IMHO :love:). BUT, given that school is quickly approaching with OMM labs, and I will be seen in my minumums, I need help getting rid of my maximums :rolleyes:.

I know there was a funny thread last year with many plans on how to get in shape. I am 33 w/two little ones, looking like a third on the way that sadly just ain't so... and I can't afford a tummy tuck :D. Any advice? OK, and yes, I'm willing to give up the blasts... shoot.

how about trying out audiobooks or podcasts in lieu of the traditional book? i love reading, but nowadays i get most of my information and culture fix through these more portable mediums.

i used to work out regularly, but now instead of a gym schedule, i incorporate more walking, stairs, and outdoor activities. for ex, i'm kayaking and biking this weekend. i've also cut down on the amount i eat and on the number of times i eat out. i also have a problem with the tummy area (although i don't have little ones as an good excuse). i noticed cutting down on late-night eating and packaged foods has helped a lot. in your case, those blasts will probably make a *huge* difference in your fitness plan.

best of luck! :thumbup: i'm nervous about the OMM labs too!!!

Why to lift before you do cardio, as opposed to after:

1. Injury prevention. This is mentioned earlier. You don't want to wear yourself out with a bunch of cardio, which is likely to fatigue your entire body, and then go try to lift a bunch of heavy ****. You are more likely to make a careless mistake and hurt yourself. This is already mentioned above.

2. Metabolic benefit. By starting your cardio at a slightly higher baseline HR, and the fact that you've already mobilized a bunch of glycogen, means that you've got your body thinking about starting to spare glycogen and burn fat. You'll be more efficient with your cardio. This benefit is likely not huge, but it does exist, and these things can add up in the long run.

3. Fatigue your fast-twitch fibers before the cardio, so you force yourself to recruit more of the slow-twitchers during the cardio. I'm not sure how valid this is, or if it has been thoroughly studied, but it is advocated by a lot of athletes, and it sounds viable.

How do you guys find the motivation to keep things up?
Find a goal, and/or a support group. People who will run with you or whatever. A lot of bike shops will have group rides. Run shops will have running groups. There are training groups that you can join. Makes it a lot easier if you have other people to answer to.

Then set a goal. Maybe pick a 5k, or something like that. Start small.

2. CrossFit. That's just me, I'd listen to the professionals and their take before I'd put too much belief in it. If I could scrape together to money to join a local gym, I'd be all over it. Used to live right by one owned by my rugby coach. Worst thing ever while you're doing it, but so so good when you're done.
I like CrossFit. A lot of what they do is just try to wear you out, but the way they do it is kind of in line with the way I like to train my clients.

There is talk/study about how our bodies are not made for anything long distance. We were made for short bursts of energy. I am in the National Guard and keep track of a lot of the exercise and dieting jibberish that goes on in the Army. Some of the units have found that since Iraq and Afg., their soldiers that would almost max out their pt tests were not fit for desert wear. These guys were runners and could run a 2 mile distance in 12min give or take and run distances of 4-5 miles 4-5 times a week. So as far as the Army is concerned they were top notch. However, as the war started and continued they found that these same soldiers were draggin butt cause they couldnt handle the extra 60-80 lbs of personal protection. Now, another note is that the soldiers that barely passed the pt test and only ran 3 times a week no more than 2.5 mi at a time had not problem carrying the weight. Some of the commanders are pushing to change the PT program to less emphasis on distance running to muscle maintenance and short distance training.
There is specificity of training involved here, as well as natural ability. Most likely, people who are good distance runners are not going to be good at carrying a bunch of ****. They will go anaerobic pretty quickly, and once this happens, its only a matter of time before they crap out. Some people are like 95% slow-twitch fibers though, and would not be good at carrying around a bunch of gear, no matter what.

All these posts from triathletes reminded me of what I've learned from hanging out with several of them...they make you feel like your lazy because you didn't run 10 miles today or bike 20, don't take workout advice from them because they are superhuman workout freaks, and its nearly impossible to aspire to their eating habits because they are completely dedicated.
Not to be too cocky, but someone would have to be a ***** to not take workout advice from me, and it has nothing to do with me being a triathlete.

DOMS

They've found disruptions in the muscle fibers, including the actual contractile units. Particularly at the z-line. Not just the membranes. Most likely, this is just a result of swelling + damaged fascia sticking to **** and tugging on it. There's a little more going on here, but that's the general idea.

Does it have anything to do with the "microtear" theory?
Yes and no. At a certain mode of training, you will try to induce hypertrophy. That is, you can cause small disruptions in the plasma membranes of your muscle cells, causing satellite cells to "patch" this, by donating its cytoplasm and fusing its membrane with the muscle cell's membrane. This will increase the diameter of the muscle cell, but not necessarily increase strength. This is the last theory I heard on the matter, anyhow.

I like CrossFit. A lot of what they do is just try to wear you out, but the way they do it is kind of in line with the way I like to train my clients.
Good to hear, glad I haven't been suckered into Kool-Aid drinking. Also, they are very good at wearing people out.

My advice-- if you're self motivated... and once you learn the basics from your Crossfit instructor... just start doing their WOTD ( workout of the day) that's usually what I do for my morning "crosstraining" most often... its a good mix of endurance/cardio and muscular...

you'll begin to hate it when you see the "burpee+(muscle) pull-up" :scared: I cringe everytime i see that on the list =P

Want a killer workout?.... Try 100 burpees for time.... 21 minutes is the best i've been able to manage =P....

The kind of stuff they do with cross fit is very good, functional training. I would take that over a traditional weight workout any day of the week.

Most of the programs I design incorporate a functional element into a traditional weight workout. I think that is ideal.

Yeah, burpees are the spawn of satan and something far more evil. The moment we heard that first "b" sound coming out of coach's mouth, groans started.

For now, I think I'll just make up my own as I go along. I'd love to find a local place, but "close" and "cheap" don't come easy.

@TT: What exactly does that mean, for those of us that don't speak PT?

Functional training? lol its "useful" as they say...

What use is laying on a bench and pressing a bar off of your chest... aside from that rare occasion when a crushing rock falls on you in just the right position =)

Compare that to "Oh, honey, will you please move those fifty three, 80lb bags of mulch to the other side of the yard.... and back please?" This is where Deadlifts, snatches, cleans, farmer's walks, etc will help you.... Real-life(ish) lifting...

Functional strength bases a lot on synergistic muscle groups-- lots of involved core-work... Snatches (owch), Cleans (wee!), Pullups (or muscle-ups if you're one of "those" guys...) -- these incorporate multiple muscle groups and give you strength in ranges that are "useful" or "functional"

"My arms aren't defined, i don't have the body of Adonis, but I can lift the rear ends of cars to look for my lost Chihuahua" :laugh: -- yes, it happened...

Or close a Captains of Crush #2+... that kind of strength---

That's a pretty good explanation. I use a lot of multi-joint movements and multi-exercise complexes in my programs. I also emphasize ground forces, and hip and t-spine mobility.

"Functional" is typically what I will say will help you get stronger, and decrease your risk of injury, during whatever physical tasks you happen to perform regularly. That is, the kind of stuff I did with TJ Ford is not going to be the same kind of stuff I do with someone who wants to run a marathon, which will not be the same kind of stuff I do with someone who is a lazy fat person whose goal is to not die. But there will be some overlap too.

I miss having a trainer. Once upon a time I had piles of money, and I hired the guy who trained Megan Quann to abuse me. I had no idea I was capable of what he pulled out of me. Unbelievable. I could run forever, climb anything, and my flexibility and balance were better than yoga ever did me.

I'll hit my fifties about the time I finish residency, and I swear that's the first thing I'll spend money on. Somebody really relentless who can make me laugh.

Gotcha, thanks TT and Darktide. Knew the idea, but not the name.

DOMS

Yes, having some definate DOMS today :oops:. But, I did get off my hiney and had a good workout. I also ate sensible meals yesterday (minus the mocha blasts). It will be super :cool: if I can keep this up!

coffee is actually an antioxidant, and is not the worse of all the habits you could have, it really is more the caffeine that causes a problem, but I would say if you are making a choice between coffee and a snickers bar please choose coffee, especially swiss processed decaf.

But if your Puerto Rican, you should be drinking yerba mate, verdad?

?! Yerba mate? I've never heard of it-- unless we refer to it as a different name. Which is not unheard of, provided that many PR's refer to many things in Spanglish. For e.g., my aunt telling my cuz to remove her shirt stain with gane con blee... ? After several references, my cousin figured out she was saying Gain con bleach (Gain detergent with bleach) :laugh:

?! Yerba mate? I've never heard of it-- unless we refer to it as a different name. Which is not unheard of, provided that many PR's refer to many things in Spanglish. For e.g., my aunt telling my cuz to remove her shirt stain with gane con blee... ? After several references, my cousin figured out she was saying Gain con bleach (Gain detergent with bleach) :laugh:

you know it is so funny because I am fluent in spanish and therefore can understand spanish, 'mexican', italian and a few other similar languages fairly well, but I can't understand a stitch of 'puerto rican' to save my life :)

I understood Yerba Mate as an Argentinian thing. Interesting stuff, I think it has some sort of caffeine analog...maybe mateine or something like that

I understood Yerba Mate as an Argentinian thing. Interesting stuff, I think it has some sort of caffeine analog...maybe mateine or something like that

It is official Argentian but I have many spanish and puerto rican friends that grew up drinking it as well