Any hospitals hiring locums directly ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lotsapain

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious for some feedback whether hospitals in any of the states are hiring locums directly? There are now hundreds of agencies that work with hospitals to procure locums the rate difference between what the provider sees and what the agency is getting is 20-30% some even go as high as 45%. Agency overhead cost is relatively low. In the past they took a singular sum for a hired physician now their rates have skyrocketed out of proportion to the rates they pay physicians.

I have heard different reasons as to why hospitals do not have direct contracts with locums most common being that the agencies are "vetted vendors with the hospital"... more commonly Anesthesia Management companies work with such vendors through a hospital contract.

Any hospitals other that hire locum providers directly? It is significantly cheaper for the facility.....

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine it's out there because it makes sense but brainless leeches like to circle jerk and help out other brainless leeches because they all play golf and take cocaine infused trips together.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
So many hospitals are too lazy to deal with credentialing directly and would rather go they agency. It’s so stupid and weird. But some do direct contracts with physicians. You just gotta call around and ask whoever is looking for help if they are willing.

Members don't see this ad :)
So many hospitals are too lazy to deal with credentialing directly and would rather go they agency. It’s so stupid and weird. But some do direct contracts with physicians. You just gotta call around and ask whoever is looking for help if they are willing.
Hospitals make credentialing a million times harder than it has to be, which in addition to inconveniencing us makes it take longer for them to get fully staffed up. I bet that doesn't help their bottom line either.

For people who have no significant work history gaps, board certification, and who have a clean malpractice history, getting a medical license or hospital credentials should take no more than 24 hrs. This current system of dragging it out for weeks on end because your 6th grade report card is missing is sheer lunacy.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Hospitals make credentialing a million times harder than it has to be, which in addition to inconveniencing us makes it take longer for them to get fully staffed up. I bet that doesn't help their bottom line either.

For people who have no significant work history gaps, board certification, and who have a clean malpractice history, getting a medical license or hospital credentials should take no more than 24 hrs. This current system of dragging it out for weeks on end because your 6th grade report card is missing is sheer lunacy.
Absolutely agreed. It's absurd that it takes so long - and shocking they hire whole enterprises of people to push paper with no apparent results. Credentialing should be regulated for time and efficiency. E.g. the government should start to levy penalties if a hospital accepting government funds can't credential a physician within two weeks unless they show good cause why they can't.

Reactions: 1 user
Large hospitals are like the government. They hemorrhage money and ignore relatively easy solutions. Somebody else’s money I guess….

Most hospital credentialing committees meet only once a month. If your file is completed the day after they meet, it won’t be reviewed until the following month unless there is a provision for emergency credentials where the chief of anesthesia can just sign off.

Reactions: 1 users
Most hospital credentialing committees meet only once a month. If your file is completed the day after they meet, it won’t be reviewed until the following month unless there is a provision for emergency credentials where the chief of anesthesia can just sign off.

All hospitals should have a rolling fast track process wherein every application gets quickly screened by the lower level credentialing person, and if the app happens to be an uncomplicated / "clean" one then the credentialing person immediately txt/email blasts the physicians and administrators on the committee and asks for a simple Y/N that day.

If someone has a significant gap or a malpractice history or disciplinary history etc, only then does that person have to wait for the monthly meeting.

Reactions: 6 users
There is no incentive for MDs to contract with hospitals directly. The saved $$ has nothing to do with the providers. Hospitals can screw the providers easily. What can you do if hospitals cut down your hours? What can you do if hospitals terminate your contract in a week? Locums companies at least provide a layer of contract protection, no matter how short the protection is. Locum companies want to work with you in the future (aka make $$ off you).

My hospital found a group of like minded anesthesiologists who formed their own pseudo locums group that will bargain directly with hospitals. They cut out the locums provider and maintain licensing in one or two states. They have more flexibility wrt cases and hours than I do. Seems like a pretty slick gig if you don't mind traveling and want to make some extra $$$.

I haven’t done much locums, but I think this is one of those situations where I would actually welcome the middleman. As already stated, hospital credentialing is a tedious and unnecessarily complicated process. Having someone helping to streamline that for you is worth some of the cut they take. They also provide some matter of contractual protection. You are a client of the locums company and while they are making money off you, they are somewhat incentivized to keep you happy. The hospital, on the other hand, will drop you as soon as they find a cheaper solution. A hospital will break contracts if it means saving a few bucks.

However, I think doing locums directly with a smaller private practice without a middleman is a better option.

I haven’t done much locums, but I think this is one of those situations where I would actually welcome the middleman. As already stated, hospital credentialing is a tedious and unnecessarily complicated process. Having someone helping to streamline that for you is worth some of the cut they take. They also provide some matter of contractual protection. You are a client of the locums company and while they are making money off you, they are somewhat incentivized to keep you happy. The hospital, on the other hand, will drop you as soon as they find a cheaper solution. A hospital will break contracts if it means saving a few bucks.

However, I think doing locums directly with a smaller private practice without a middleman is a better option.
In the few locums gigs I've done I've still had to do essentially all the things I would normally do when obtaining credentialing. The only thing that changes is who I'm sending my documentation to. Hell, in some cases having the middleman even wastes time cause I'm sending some missing document to them and they're sending it to the credentialing people instead of me just sending it directly.

In the few locums gigs I've done I've still had to do essentially all the things I would normally do when obtaining credentialing. The only thing that changes is who I'm sending my documentation to. Hell, in some cases having the middleman even wastes time cause I'm sending some missing document to them and they're sending it to the credentialing people instead of me just sending it directly.

True. I just assume if you work with the same agent for different assignments that they’ll have many of the required documents on file already. Whereas hospitals seem to re-request files they already have when it comes time to renew credentials.

Members don't see this ad :)
our hospital hires independent locums without agencies. anesthesiologist are marketing themselves to hospitals where there is a need, this can be via word of mouth or directly contacting an institute and finding out.

our hospital hires independent locums without agencies. anesthesiologist are marketing themselves to hospitals where there is a need, this can be via word of mouth or directly contacting an institute and finding out.
Are they getting higher rates than going through an agency?

There is no incentive for MDs to contract with hospitals directly. The saved $$ has nothing to do with the providers. Hospitals can screw the providers easily. What can you do if hospitals cut down your hours? What can you do if hospitals terminate your contract in a week? Locums companies at least provide a layer of contract protection, no matter how short the protection is. Locum companies want to work with you in the future (aka make $$ off you).
That is a poor argument FOR the locum companies. You can draw an absolutely similar contract with similar conditions. If you read locum contracts more carefully you will find a clause that states "if the locum company does not get reimbursed you don't get paid" You sound like you own a locum company based on the logic.... there would be contracts in place, locum companies do nothing to protect either the provider or the facility from providers....

At any rate I am asking if people actually have had contracts with a hospital... not hearsay.

• Dislike
Which country is this in ? lol

• Haha
True. I just assume if you work with the same agent for different assignments that they’ll have many of the required documents on file already. Whereas hospitals seem to re-request files they already have when it comes time to renew credentials.

Indeed credentialing and locum companies have nothing to do with each other. The onus is on the provider to provide the documents to the hospital. Locum agencies do purchase malpractice insurance at lower rates and then "resell it to you" in a form of hourly markup (or your rate reduction) for a higher rate

Are they getting higher rates than going through an agency?
not sure what agencies are offering but they are getting 350-400/hr. In fact, other hospitals in the area are doing the same thing.

Last edited:
My hospital found a group of like minded anesthesiologists who formed their own pseudo locums group that will bargain directly with hospitals. They cut out the locums provider and maintain licensing in one or two states. They have more flexibility wrt cases and hours than I do. Seems like a pretty slick gig if you don't mind traveling and want to make some extra $$$.
This indeed sounds like a slick move from those docs. It's a win-win: the doctors cut off the middleman and get a higher rate, and the hospital saves on the agency fees. How long are these contracts usually for, is it weeks or months? And what prevents the hospital from terminating the locums at will, any time they choose?
Also, it sounds like you are a non-locum doctor at the same hospital, so how does that make you feel when you see the locums getting paid (I a assuming) a lot more on an hourly basis? I am only asking because this seems to be happening everywhere, and sooner or later it will affect every W-2 doc.

This indeed sounds like a slick move from those docs. It's a win-win: the doctors cut off the middleman and get a higher rate, and the hospital saves on the agency fees. How long are these contracts usually for, is it weeks or months? And what prevents the hospital from terminating the locums at will, any time they choose?
Also, it sounds like you are a non-locum doctor at the same hospital, so how does that make you feel when you see the locums getting paid (I a assuming) a lot more on an hourly basis? I am only asking because this seems to be happening everywhere, and sooner or later it will affect every W-2 doc.

I'm not sure how long their contracts are for, maybe week by week. The guy I spoke with lived a couple hundred miles away so I don't think he would like to do that commute often. I don't know what their contracts look like either wrt termination.

I don't mind it because my hospital is short staffed right now and their presence means I go home earlier which is a priority for me. I recognize some of them are coming from pretty far away so they deserve a premium for that.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure how long their contracts are for, maybe week by week. The guy I spoke with lived a couple hundred miles away so I don't think he would like to do that commute often. I don't know what their contracts look like either wrt termination.

I don't mind it because my hospital is short staffed right now and their presence means I go home earlier which is a priority for me. I recognize some of them are coming from pretty far away so they deserve a premium for that.
People are quick to say they're going to quit for locums, but how many are actually willing to do the life on the road, away from friends and family lifestyle? That's gotta take a good premium

People are quick to say they're going to quit for locums, but how many are actually willing to do the life on the road, away from friends and family lifestyle? That's gotta take a good premium

Totally agree. I'll ask one of them next time I take over one of their cases at 3pm so they can go home, lol.

I think it depends on where you live. If you live in the Midwest, locums can be very disruptive to family life because assignments are a plane ride away. If you live in the I-95 corridor of the northeast and mid-Atlantic, locums might not be as disruptive because you have a lot of options in an hour or two driving radius.

I know this thread is about hospitals hiring locums, but is anyone here working (FT) directly for the hospital (hired by the hospital as W2)? It seems like this is becoming a popular trend as the AMCs exit some markets, and hospitals try to rebuild their own anesthesia teams. What are some pros/cons of hospital employment vs AMC employment (realizing that private groups are a minority now)?

I do tons of “locums” without any middleman. IMO its important for any anesthesiologist to have a second job/ side gig in case things don’t work out at your regular employment. I view it essential from a financial independence and happiness standpoint.

Locums companies are mostly useless. They’re sales people. Often times they do not know the in’s and outs of anesthesia groups. They’re transferring CVs from one place to other and spreading your name like an infection.

Also I had a group that declined to work with me for two years even though they liked me because “my CV had been presented to them by locums” and they would have to pay a penalty to work with me. This is after the locums company was so incompetent in getting me credentialed with that group that I opted to do it directly through networking. That experience made me go out on my own.

Key is - obtain your independent malpractice and set up an arrangement with the chair of the group directly. Your business will grow. Find local locums people. They’ll know many groups and chairs.

90% of my locums gigs weren’t advertised.

Locums companies earn a premium off you because they’re providing malpractice coverage. Most anesthesiologists don’t want to be stuck with an independent malpractice policy for side work.

If you keep your own malpractice for main gig, then this isn’t an issue.

It is expensive to get independent malpractice but if I was doing locums full time, I would not think twice and get my own malpractice. I would also get an IMLC - costs $700 but it expedites things. I haven’t used mine but I have the option of needed.

Of course setting up LLC, setting up the business correctly and getting tax write offs etc - that’s the key. Hiring the right accountant is key. Locums can be a wonderful thing to have 1099 income. It depends on how much you’re wanting to work. Work is definitely out there.

Obtain independent credentialing at hospitals by going through the medical staff, and then you can add all the hospitals within the same system by requesting privileges at different campuses. Most of the time they’ll give it to you.

It takes 1-2 years to get reliable contracts with the groups to set up hourly rates, but it’s 100% worth it esp if you hustle. The joy of working for yourself cannot be explained. Locums doesn’t feel like work to me - it’s just extra income. I always think when I’m doing locums “what would I be doing instead right now that would be more fruitful”. And except when I’m on vacation with family, the answer is always - rather work for $/hour.

Btw a side effect of doing locums is that you become very strong as you’re exposing yourself to different environments, patients, surgeons and groups. You start focusing on work and less on politics of the place. Some ASCs I’d go to - I’ll knock out 10–5 blocked in 6 hours. I would never get that exposure in my regular job.

This year I will work on composing my engagement letters that I will sent to groups. I need to increase my charge. I haven’t done it in two years.

Reactions: 7 users
I do tons of “locums” without any middleman. IMO its important for any anesthesiologist to have a second job/ side gig in case things don’t work out at your regular employment. I view it essential from a financial independence and happiness standpoint.

Locums companies are mostly useless. They’re sales people. Often times they do not know the in’s and outs of anesthesia groups. They’re transferring CVs from one place to other and spreading your name like an infection.

Also I had a group that declined to work with me for two years even though they liked me because “my CV had been presented to them by locums” and they would have to pay a penalty to work with me. This is after the locums company was so incompetent in getting me credentialed with that group that I opted to do it directly through networking. That experience made me go out on my own.

Key is - obtain your independent malpractice and set up an arrangement with the chair of the group directly. Your business will grow. Find local locums people. They’ll know many groups and chairs.

90% of my locums gigs weren’t advertised.

Locums companies earn a premium off you because they’re providing malpractice coverage. Most anesthesiologists don’t want to be stuck with an independent malpractice policy for side work.

If you keep your own malpractice for main gig, then this isn’t an issue.

It is expensive to get independent malpractice but if I was doing locums full time, I would not think twice and get my own malpractice. I would also get an IMLC - costs $700 but it expedites things. I haven’t used mine but I have the option of needed.

Of course setting up LLC, setting up the business correctly and getting tax write offs etc - that’s the key. Hiring the right accountant is key. Locums can be a wonderful thing to have 1099 income. It depends on how much you’re wanting to work. Work is definitely out there.

Obtain independent credentialing at hospitals by going through the medical staff, and then you can add all the hospitals within the same system by requesting privileges at different campuses. Most of the time they’ll give it to you.

It takes 1-2 years to get reliable contracts with the groups to set up hourly rates, but it’s 100% worth it esp if you hustle. The joy of working for yourself cannot be explained. Locums doesn’t feel like work to me - it’s just extra income. I always think when I’m doing locums “what would I be doing instead right now that would be more fruitful”. And except when I’m on vacation with family, the answer is always - rather work for $/hour.

Btw a side effect of doing locums is that you become very strong as you’re exposing yourself to different environments, patients, surgeons and groups. You start focusing on work and less on politics of the place. Some ASCs I’d go to - I’ll knock out 10–5 blocked in 6 hours. I would never get that exposure in my regular job.

This year I will work on composing my engagement letters that I will sent to groups. I need to increase my charge. I haven’t done it in two years.
That sounds like a great setup if you know you are staying in an area for a few years. What kind of rates are you making now as direct vs when you went through a company?

That sounds like a great setup if you know you are staying in an area for a few years. What kind of rates are you making now as direct vs when you went through a company?
Yes, i'm not leaving this area. Even if I have to move, which is highly unlikely - rinse and repeat.
The above plan does require you to be in a bigger city/market in my opinion unless you're willing to travel.
One way you can do this is negotiate a 26 week on 26 week off sort of job with a semi-reasonable schedule and then do locums on some of your off weeks.
I sometimes have to drive 55-60 minutes compared to my FT job which is 25 minutes away, but its ok.

Again, it all depends what you want to do and how busy you want to be.

There is really something to be said about hourly work. If you’re in demand, you want to know that you’re gonna be compensated for doing stuff that someone else can’t or doesn’t want to do because of time constraints. The psychological boost is immense

When you work late as a partner in a practice, you might be getting extra money, but if it’s a poor payor you may be resentful of the late work if no one’s gonna bank off of it. Hospital call stipends are nice to counteract this and I view them as essential for any private group now.

Letting people have “luck of the draw” on how good or bad their call compensation is is a recipe for instability in retention since it won’t ever feel fair. Stipends with production is the only way.

Also I think post call work should be compensated double or triple normal in any group. That’s what truly burns people out.
Yes.

It's funny you bring this up. Actually, this was the primary motivation behind taking some control back and starting to do locums on the side.

The AMC model is totally biased towards the regular W2 docs who will always end up staying late, ensuring that locums and CRNAs are taken care of before them, i.e. they are the gatekeeper for the 3 pm and 5 pm day staff exits LOL.

This gets old - it got old for me real fast in my previous employed AMC practice, so I had to return to the drawing board and find a long term sustainable solution that would give me some control back. I am blessed with a fantastic chairman who himself believes in financial independence, happiness, and other more important things in life than just slaving away for someone to practice anesthesia. Solid people exist - they're rare, but you have to find them, and work for them (both my job as well as locums I do. I genuinely enjoy working for all my locums groups - otherwise i would not do it)

Basic math:
40 hours x $300/ hour x 46 weeks worth of work = 552K. You dont need 10 weeks off if you're doing locums and not staying late or doing call.
Add in 5 hours of overtime per week = 1500/ week extra = $ 69K (VERY CONSERVATIVE)
Total income 1099 = $621 K.

We paid a locums doc who came out of retirement to help us @ $350/hour for 7-3 shift for 3 months for basic cases from December ti February. So...Its real...

No call, no weekends. Combo of doing your own cases and medical direction/supervision. Whatever they want. 6 am starts - sure why not.

Alternatively, you can do 4 x 10s and get a similar annual compensation. I would probably do that when I slow down...take Wednesdays off for example. And if you set up your LLC correctly and have a good accountant who does your bookkeeping, its hard to go back to W2 only. The benefits of being self employed are immense. Write off all expenses, gas, lease, etc...Combo of W2 and 1099 is best in my opinion given health insurance cost, and thats what I have as my wife is a home maker. But when she goes back to work, I'm doing 1099 only.

Many locums guys make much more than these numbers by the way. I didnt even mention weekends, esp OB weekend call.

However, the key is to find reliable and solid groups to work with. Don't nickel and dime people. Be respectful and on time and give them a good notice to cover. Finish the last case if needed, etc etc. This is how you build a good reputation. Its not *just* about money.

Rates vary between 250-350 in my market, but generally, if you're paying for your own malpractice, you can get $300/hour. Overtime is extra, but I dont charge additional OT rate - i just do straight $300 or thereabouts. I keep it simple. I don't charge travel, lodging, meals etc...I can and maybe I will down the road, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

• Hmm
Rates tend to be higher for locums but not that much - maybe 0-5%. You also dont know who you will get in terms of your locums manager. But in my experience, physicians like working directly with each other. Work is more readily available. Like last minute staffing that will be hard to set up with locums.
I text the secretaries and chairmen of groups I work with - and vise versa. Its straight forward.
One of the locums CRNA I know likes to get paid by zelle...lol.
The groups in general don't like locums mgt company - why would they? What REAL value are they bringing?

I am curious for some feedback whether hospitals in any of the states are hiring locums directly? There are now hundreds of agencies that work with hospitals to procure locums the rate difference between what the provider sees and what the agency is getting is 20-30% some even go as high as 45%. Agency overhead cost is relatively low. In the past they took a singular sum for a hired physician now their rates have skyrocketed out of proportion to the rates they pay physicians.

I have heard different reasons as to why hospitals do not have direct contracts with locums most common being that the agencies are "vetted vendors with the hospital"... more commonly Anesthesia Management companies work with such vendors through a hospital contract.

Any hospitals other that hire locum providers directly? It is significantly cheaper for the facility.....
My hospital does this. They are per diem hourly employees and we keep them pretty busy. Not quite the same as locums but they can schedule days or weeks two months in advance.

Rates tend to be higher for locums but not that much - maybe 0-5%. You also dont know who you will get in terms of your locums manager. But in my experience, physicians like working directly with each other. Work is more readily available. Like last minute staffing that will be hard to set up with locums.
I text the secretaries and chairmen of groups I work with - and vise versa. Its straight forward.
One of the locums CRNA I know likes to get paid by zelle...lol.
The groups in general don't like locums mgt company - why would they? What REAL value are they bringing?
The counterpoint is why not use locums if they are offering you a higher rate, on top of tax free stipends and covering malpractice with tail?

oddly some locums are being contracted for 1 year.

• Hmm
The counterpoint is why not use locums if they are offering you a higher rate, on top of tax free stipends and covering malpractice with tail?
Because locums are site specific and less flexible.
Lets say a group you work for has 20 surgeons they contract with and 5 sites they go to. Its much easier to get credentialed yourself than go through locums.

Locums does nothing but make you fill out another set of application so they can credential you. If you carry your own malpractice, I really do not see any utility in using locums.

I am also not sure how well they will "protect you". You can always get your own engagement letter directly with the group with stipulations, hours etc.

Now if you are doing F/T locums, then that may be different. But to me, that is not very appealing - its just that youre working for a locums company as opposed to an employer.

and as for why not use locums? its because as per one of the chair-woman i work for - she stated that the higher the rate, less likely they will give you the shift. There are a few hospitals I like going to and the environment, case load and surgeons are great - yes, i dont mind getting paid $20/hour less to have a good day at work and more frequent work. You will make up that reduced rate in hours by working half an hour extra ;)

as i mentioned, not every thing in life is about money.

Last edited:
The problem is why the hell does it take so long to complete your file? It’s such a problem.

What part of the world is this?

You work with whoever is the one that pays the best. Not just one. I work with three different companies.

Me! Me! Me!! But I don’t have much of a life. Besides traveling internationally. And no hungry, emotionally needy, annoying kids so it works works for me!!

• Haha
What state is this? See if I have a license or can get one easily.

Me! Me! Me!! But I don’t have much of a life. Besides traveling internationally. And no hungry, emotionally needy, annoying kids so it works works for me!!
You are gonna be rich.

I just did it. Except I'm doing locums in the city I already live in, at 3 different hospitals (with 3 different locums companies). So if one dried up I still have the other two. So my lifestyle is the same, except no call or weekends (except for the ones I pick up, which is on my schedule when I want them), and I only work 4 days a week.

Reactions: 6 users
I just did it. Except I'm doing locums in the city I already live in, at 3 different hospitals (with 3 different locums companies). So if one dried up I still have the other two. So my lifestyle is the same, except no call or weekends (except for the ones I pick up, which is on my schedule when I want them), and I only work 4 days a week.
Dream schedule

Same. I've got 2 international trips planned within a few weeks of each other. I can make my schedule however I feel. Right now I have 2 jobs that I go between. One in the midwest and one in TX, but I live in AZ. I don't go for the highest paying jobs just ones that I like that don't make me miserable. I've spent enough time in jobs being miserable.

I'm making my international trips cheaper by using hotel points I've accumulated from work, and I get great customer service on American and the 2 hotel brands I stay with a lot.

Edit: to the point of the thread, I do work with a small company for one job and a big company for another. The big company has angered me due to circumstances that just needed a phone call to me to prevent major issues. The small company that works with a few hospitals in a regional area has issues too (I have to deal with all my own credentialing), but they are much more flexible -- eg. Big company screwed up and I didn't have work, small company got me work with 2 weeks' notice.

You still planning to live overseas mostly full time?

I know this thread is about hospitals hiring locums, but is anyone here working (FT) directly for the hospital (hired by the hospital as W2)? It seems like this is becoming a popular trend as the AMCs exit some markets, and hospitals try to rebuild their own anesthesia teams. What are some pros/cons of hospital employment vs AMC employment (realizing that private groups are a minority now)?

I did that for a while. Local hospital system was short so they started hiring PRN W-2 people to fill their empty shifts, at premium rates.

Not quite $350/hr premium but still very good. They only trouble I had was their HR and payroll people were terrible and they repeatedly auto-enrolled me in their 401(k) which resulted in me over-contributing for the tax year because I was maxed out at the regular job, so I had to get it refunded the next tax year, which triggered a 1099, and I had to amend the prior year's tax return, and again this year even though I haven't worked there at all they stealth auto-enrolled me again.

I did that for a while. Local hospital system was short so they started hiring PRN W-2 people to fill their empty shifts, at premium rates.

Not quite $350/hr premium but still very good. They only trouble I had was their HR and payroll people were terrible and they repeatedly auto-enrolled me in their 401(k) which resulted in me over-contributing for the tax year because I was maxed out at the regular job, so I had to get it refunded the next tax year, which triggered a 1099, and I had to amend the prior year's tax return, and again this year even though I haven't worked there at all they stealth auto-enrolled me again.
If the hospital offers you a full time W2 directly, would you trust them? What are some advantages and disadvantages of working for the hospital as a full time employee (without an anesthesia management company)?