State of Locums market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Insultingly low. Please don’t sign up for that $1600. Whoever is advertising that needs to realize how under market that is

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
It was market rate in 1997.
It varies. It was $175/hr for many of us between 2014-2017. It was $150/hr in 2003-2005 for northeast. $200/hr in 2007-2008

I was getting $250-hr in 2008-2009 in mid south region. Than the anesthesia market starting

So hourly wages all over the place for me.

But 2012-2017 were leaner years in many parts of the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
Comparisons are difficult depending on someone situation.

If you are married (like me) with 2 kids and non working spouse.

35% tax bracket kicks in at around 460k agi for married.

35% tax bracket kicks in at around 225k for single/head of household

So if u are single. W2 means you pay 20k more in federal taxes for same 500k ish w2 income (agi is after deductions).

So the question is
1. Are you single?
2. If you are married, does ur spouse have access to good healthcare (20k value if ur spouse is a teacher with good state employee insurance)

Those are the two most important questions you need to answer before we can quantify 1099 vs w2 FOR YOU.

answer that. And I can proceed to tell you what works in your favor

As for me. My state job is pretty good. 450k with lots of pretax deductions and benefits as w2. A comparable job would need to net me close to 550k 1099 no calls or weekends and 11 weeks off and 40 hours a week.

So my comparison means I would need to find a 1099 job that can consistently provide me 7-3/5 pm job at around $330-350/hr 1099. The key word being consistently. And I find it really hard to find a job like that 1099.

Of note. I do have side gigs 1099 to supplement my w2 income.

So let us know ur sit situation and we can give u better advice and also depends how much you want to work.
So I’m married with a spouse that has benefits.

Avg FT W2 income is 435k with benefits and 9 weeks of vacation
Hourly per diem rates with AMC - 200/hr W2
Consistent 1099 work is $1600 daily

I’m debating if I should take a FT with an AMC or stay per diem.

Thanks for the advice!

So I’m married with a spouse that has benefits.

Avg FT W2 income is 435k with benefits and 9 weeks of vacation
Hourly per diem rates with AMC - 200/hr W2
Consistent 1099 work is $1600 daily

I’m debating if I should take a FT with an AMC or stay per diem.

Thanks for the advice!
Per diem w2 is horrible especially with spouse with job and healthcare. And atrocious at $200/hr w2.

My thoughts.
1. While they would love to have you work Full time for them. Seems like they don’t really need you.

The law of supply and demand.

It’s like that way when I fished around at the 4 major cities in Florida. Most at sticking to $300/hr 1099. Only a few will go up to $350/hr. None will do $400/hr. Supply and demand. Of one those cities has a former colleague of mine working for a lowly $225/hr w2 per diem. It’s because she wants to stay very local (20 min drive) and doesn’t want to do calls. So she’s basically replaced a crna but more valuable cause she can do it all herself. Blocks ob peds etc without supervision. She’s under selling herself. But supply and demand.

I am new to the Locums world. I wanted to see what is the best comparison of W2 vs 1099. How can I compare the two incomes on hourly and annual basis? I’m debating if I should take a W2 job because 1099 work in my area cap at $1600/day. Thanks for the advice!
Negotiate.

Anyone out there doing locums general (non cardiac) for >$400/hr?
This group says that’s the minimum. I find that very hard to find unless it’s in the middle of nowhere

Negotiate.
It all depends on the area. In south Florida. Those guys are barely budging from $275-300/hr. South Florida being FLL-Miami especially winter time. Snow birds locums like to escape for warmer weather.
This group says that’s the minimum. I find that very hard to find unless it’s in the middle of nowhere
Key word middle of no where. Doesn’t mean middle of no where Nebraska or the Dakotas.

But usually 1 plus hour away from major metro area with ob where u can’t cover from outer suburbs

The hospitals /management company will
Shop around to find the cheapest labor as well.

I’m always sniffing around. I was gonna to take $350/hr at boonies hospital cause they were guaranteeing me all 24 hours on weekend even with no cases. I said that’s not bad. $8400/guarantee without cases

Until I talked and my friend said they were getting $420/hr plus $2000 weekend 24 hr fee all guarantee. I’m like wait a second. That’s 12k for 24 hrs

Than the hospital/amac/ owned 1099 company started back tracking saying they couldn’t give me that rate cause it’s not possible. I showed them screenshot of my friend with the same recruiter name. These people will lie to you.

Just treat it as a business. A dirty business. Go in and do ur job and get paid. We become mercenaries when on independent contractors work.

Reactions: 6 users
It all depends on the area. In south Florida. Those guys are barely budging from $275-300/hr. South Florida being FLL-Miami especially winter time. Snow birds locums like to escape for warmer weather.

Key word middle of no where. Doesn’t mean middle of no where Nebraska or the Dakotas.

But usually 1 plus hour away from major metro area with ob where u can’t cover from outer suburbs

The hospitals /management company will
Shop around to find the cheapest labor as well.

I’m always sniffing around. I was gonna to take $350/hr at boonies hospital cause they were guaranteeing me all 24 hours on weekend even with no cases. I said that’s not bad. $8400/guarantee without cases

Until I talked and my friend said they were getting $420/hr plus $2000 weekend 24 hr fee all guarantee. I’m like wait a second. That’s 12k for 24 hrs

Than the hospital/amac/ owned 1099 company started back tracking saying they couldn’t give me that rate cause it’s not possible. I showed them screenshot of my friend with the same recruiter name. These people will lie to you.

Just treat it as a business. A dirty business. Go in and do ur job and get paid. We become mercenaries when on independent contractors work.

• Inappropriate
Reactions: 1 user
I’m typing on my mobile device. Grammatical errors will happen.

We talking about Benjamin’s not grammatical errors man. Straight cash matters more than proper English.

Sure… it’s a typo 😉. It’s just not that difficult, and it’s free to learn. It’s even easier than there/their/they’re. I wouldn’t comment except that it drives me crazy, sounds R-Tarded, and happens All The Time. It’s first semester foreign language level, not something overly nitpicky.

• Dislike
  • Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sure… it’s a typo 😉. It’s just not that difficult, and it’s free to learn. It’s even easier than there/their/they’re. I wouldn’t comment except that it drives me crazy, sounds R-Tarded, and happens All The Time. It’s first semester foreign language level, not something overly nitpicky.
Who cares. It’s a casual online forum. Must be jealous he is making much more then you.

Triggermaster is more then trying to live up to they’re name.

Jesus, man. What educated individual uses that word anymore? That is complete ignorance.
Oh my god! You used the ‘I’ word. That’s so uneducated. No one told you that’s offensive yet? This is supposed to be a safe space!

(Sorry for derailing the thread. I just don’t get the confusion between then and than. Let’s stop and get back on topic please.)

Last edited:
Gentlemen, we have identified the hard on.

Oh my god! You used the ‘I’ word. That’s so uneducated. No one told you that’s offensive yet? This is supposed to be a safe space!

(Sorry for derailing the thread. I just don’t get the confusion between then and than. Let’s stop and get back on topic please.)
Going hard in the paint!

You forgot to add…
Affect is a verb; effect is a noun.
Just a reminder for all.

So everyone cross your “t” and dot your…lower case “j”

Reactions: 1 user
Going hard in the paint!

You forgot to add…
Just a reminder for all.

This still gets me. Anyway… back to my question, who out there is doing >$400/hr?

This still gets me. Anyway… back to my question, who out there is doing >$400/hr?
Me right at $400/hr

Holidays $800/hr

But $350-375/hr is the norm at most places. Depends on desperation level. And if they can get someone cheaper.

Once you show up and they like you and the work you do they will continue to use you even if you are more expensive till they find some one they like who’s cheaper.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone out there doing locums general (non cardiac) for >$400/hr?
Two contracts here that pay $400+ an hour. One in a major city, another in suburbia. All generalist work but higher acuity cases (very little bread & butter). One contract didn't start out at 400, but through hard work and a good attitude I got the raise I desired. As "aneftp" touched on earlier, a higher wage makes you vulnerable to getting undercut by someone who comes in and is willing to do the work cheaper.

Can I write off the food I eat during my locums job as an expense on my 1099?

You could do S corp, C corp, or LLC. Probably save about 50K/yr if you are in a state with high state taxes. Need to have a good CPA and then set up corp that best fits where you live and how much work you want to put into the corp as you have another business that has finances to take care of.
C Corp is never worthwhile.

Everyone typical does S Corp if 1099 income.

LLC isn't an IRS designation, and depends on your state and medical board requirements. California for example doesn't allow LLC for physicians

C Corp is never worthwhile.

Everyone typical does S Corp if 1099 income.

LLC isn't an IRS designation, and depends on your state and medical board requirements. California for example doesn't allow LLC for physicians
California has s corp taxes franchise tax or whatever they call it. 1.5%

Going hard in the paint!

You forgot to add…
Just a reminder for all.

bro if you gonna punch down you should at least know that in medicine affect is also a noun

Reactions: 1 users
bro if you gonna punch down you should at least know that in medicine affect is also a noun
Lol, effect is also a verb! Both affect and effect are nouns and verbs. No one seems to know the difference.

Nothing more annoying then someone correcting grammar on an internet forum. I purposely put then to trigger you further

My 1099 side gig is wanting me to take call. I Don’t want to. I should stand pat since I have all the leverage ? Full time W2 job, and 1099 hospital is desperate for people

How much should I ask for if they insist
I recently had a recruiter bother me multiple times about an “emergency need” at a known toxic facility. I told them I’d consider it for $2000/hr for daytime shifts only but that it might be more depending on the conditions and needs.

Then their insistence magically went away…. and their emergency, it turns out, isn’t worth so much to them after all.

I recently had a recruiter bother me multiple times about an “emergency need” at a known toxic facility. I told them I’d consider it for $2000/hr for daytime shifts only but that it might be more depending on the conditions and needs.

Then their insistence magically went away…. and their emergency, it turns out, isn’t worth so much to them after all.
lol so you’re saying fight back

lol so you’re saying fight back
I hesitate to call it fighting per se. I think you just need to know your own boundaries and needs, and to know the value of your time and services in context. Luckily we live in a world where we can define our own conditions, rather than being forced to do anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

I mean 2000/hr is an absurd demand

• Haha
  • Dislike