Any legitimate reason for prescribing the Holy Trinity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpartanLaser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have this MD that gives literally every other patient this combo:
1. percocet or norco 5/325-10/325
2. a benzo
3. soma

Is there really any legitimate medical reason for prescribing this? If they are having muscle pain, why not zanaflex or baclofen?

Members don't see this ad.

I had one that would write for Xanax, Percocet, and Adderall to essentially every patient. We started turning away all of his cash patients (pay $100 in cash, name your prescription). Eventually, the DEA raided his office and he was out of his mind drunk. He had nighttime hours. Come in the veil of darkness and get fixed up. He also lived in his clinic; it doubled as his love shack.

Rural healthcare baby

Reactions: 2 users
lol everyone gets this where I used to work, even from big hospitals in the area too

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha I didn't know others referred to it as the Holy Trinity either. It seemed many patients were on all 3 of those meds, seemed way more frequent than it should be. Everyone had work related injuries resulting in anxiety, muscle spasms and chronic pain at age 35.

This patient called me requesting her diazepam, clonazepam, and trizolam all be refilled at once because her "work was very stressful". Sigh....

I call them the triplets.

I had one that would write for Xanax, Percocet, and Adderall to essentially every patient. We started turning away all of his cash patients (pay $100 in cash, name your prescription). Eventually, the DEA raided his office and he was out of his mind drunk. He had nighttime hours. Come in the veil of darkness and get fixed up. He also lived in his clinic; it doubled as his love shack.

Rural healthcare baby

I remember hearing about a doctor like that but in Tulsa. It was a her. She lived in her office and saw patients 24/7. Xanax, Norco, and prometh/codeine. Eventually got busted. There is a good story about a doctor in Oklahoma City who was busted as running a fake pain clinic and had his medical license revoked. He blamed it on racism.

Reactions: 1 user
The fact that he/she always throws in a benzo for good measure it what really makes it questionable, and the fact that it is soma as opposed to zanaflex as you mentioned.

2. a benzo
3. soma

Is there really any legitimate medical reason for prescribing this? If they are having muscle pain, why not zanaflex or baclofen?
No.

"The three drugs include: hydrocodone, a narcotic known by brand names like Vicodin; alprazolam, an anti-anxiety drug known as Xanax; and carisoprodol, a muscle relaxant known as Soma.

Dr. C.M. Schade, past president of the Texas Pain Society, says he knows of no legitimate medical reason for a doctor to prescribe all three together."

If I know nothing of/have never seen the Holy Trinity, does it mean I'm bound for the fiery depths?

I don't know if I work in an unusual area, or maybe I don't work enough retail, but I have never seen this combination. I could maybe see if for short term use (the person needing pain medicine & a muscle relaxer for a physician condition, and needing Xanax PRN until her SSRI kicked in....) But long-term? I'd want to see it prescribed by some big-shot expert, not by a rank & file FP or internist doctor or NP.

Often time, chain stores don't feel comfortable to dispense these meds. I saw lots of this combo at independent store. Adderall, Klonopin and Vyvanse too.

I see Adderall and Xanax paired together more than I'v seen the "holy trinity". It really doesn't make sense as to why someone would be on this.

Reactions: 1 user
I see Adderall and Xanax paired together more than I'v seen the "holy trinity". It really doesn't make sense as to why someone would be on this.
Yes it does. It gets you high as balls.

Reactions: 1 users
sometimes they toss in ibuprofen and a multivitamin

I also see this a lot. A psych NP in my town is notorious for questionable prescriptions and she writes for this combination daily, practically...everyone in town has unquestioningly filled her prescriptions forever.

2. a benzo
3. soma

I like taking those with a few shots of scotch after a day of good work.

I also see this a lot. A psych NP in my town is notorious for questionable prescriptions and she writes for this combination daily, practically...everyone in town has unquestioningly filled her prescriptions forever.

NP's.....there are some fantastic NP's, my doctor uses NP, an NP even delivered at least a couple of my children. And I have seen wonky things from MD's, but consistently the craziest stuff I see comes from NP's, while DO/MD training seems more standardized, it really seems NP training is all over the board depending on the program they went through.