Working holidays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ninohish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question: Hospital pharmacists. do you work holidays? Do you work one major holiday per year or Do you work more than one holiday per year? Do you rotate those worked holidays or do you work the same holiday every year? Also, if you’re working a holiday, do you work just that one holiday day, or do you work more than one day (like also the day before or after the holiday)? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We are closed for 10 paid holidays a year. It’s nice.

Before this job it was one major and several minor. And before that it was a rotating schedule where one year you were off for whatever holiday and the next year you worked it.

Reactions: 1 user
We are closed for 10 paid holidays a year. It’s nice.

Before this job it was one major and several minor. And before that it was a rotating schedule where one year you were off for whatever holiday and the next year you worked it.
Do you work in a hospital?

Members don't see this ad :)
we have 10 recognized holidays- we rotate through them 3 one year, 3 the next, 3 the next, then 1 the last

We've got 11 paid holidays a year. Looking at the schedule I have and/or will work 9 of them. There's no option in our contract to get another day off if you work (or don't work the holiday)--so I work 5 days a week whether I'm working the holiday or not. I could probably get half of them off if I wanted, but they pay too well to pass up.

Reactions: 1 users
There's no option in our contract to get another day off if you work (or don't work the holiday)--so I work 5 days a week whether I'm working the holiday or not.
that part kinda sucks- if we work the holiday we get another day off unless we ask to not get it. If we don't work the holiday- we can ask to work another day so as to not use PDO (assuming there are weekdays that you are not working

We've got 11 paid holidays a year. Looking at the schedule I have and/or will work 9 of them. There's no option in our contract to get another day off if you work (or don't work the holiday)--so I work 5 days a week whether I'm working the holiday or not. I could probably get half of them off if I wanted, but they pay too well to pass up.
So basically, thanksgiving for example, you’ll be working both Thursday and Friday. And you’re saying if you need Friday off for example, you can’t have it off? You have to work both Thursday and Friday?

that part kinda sucks- if we work the holiday we get another day off unless we ask to not get it. If we don't work the holiday- we can ask to work another day so as to not use PDO (assuming there are weekdays that you are not working
I like that . So you’re saying if you would to work thanksgiving (Thursday) you can have Friday off (unless you ask to work Friday too), right?

Staff rotates, but a lot volunteer (since it’s OT).

I like that . So you’re saying if you would to work thanksgiving (Thursday) you can have Friday off (unless you ask to work Friday too), right?
well- we group those two days together- so either you work both, or you have both off (unless you make a swap)- for us Thanksgiving friday is a holiday

Question: Hospital pharmacists. do you work holidays? Do you work one major holiday per year or Do you work more than one holiday per year? Do you rotate those worked holidays or do you work the same holiday every year? Also, if you’re working a holiday, do you work just that one holiday day, or do you work more than one day (like also the day before or after the holiday)? Thank you
Three different Hospital systems, working 7on/7off. If Holiday is on your week, you have to work it, PTO not allowed. The present job, every major Holiday, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, yes all on my week! Some places have tried to rotate us off Holidays, doesn't work well! For example me, taking two days off in the middle of my week for Thanksgiving, then coming back in the middle of my week off and working Christmas. NO BUENO!
Every 7 years, you will rotate OFF of major holidays, if you are patient .

well- we group those two days together- so either you work both, or you have both off (unless you make a swap)- for us Thanksgiving friday is a holiday
Follow up questions: Do you get holiday pay for both Thursday and Friday (if you’re working) or just for Thursday?
This 2 day rule also applies to for example Christmas Eve/day, New Year’s Eve/day?
you said you work 3 holidays per year. So all those 3 holidays you’re working 2 days each or just those major ones?
Thank you

Bottom line, you are a staff pharmacist, at a large hospital, no weekends, or holidays, are off limit. Your family needs to be flexible on holidays.

Follow up questions: Do you get holiday pay for both Thursday and Friday (if you’re working) or just for Thursday?
This 2 day rule also applies to for example Christmas Eve/day, New Year’s Eve/day?
you said you work 3 holidays per year. So all those 3 holidays you’re working 2 days each or just those major ones?
Thank you
we only get holiday pay on days we actually work ( time and a half) and that is only for hospital recognized holidays -the typical "Big 6" - and now, black friday is not one of them.

So basically, thanksgiving for example, you’ll be working both Thursday and Friday. And you’re saying if you need Friday off for example, you can’t have it off? You have to work both Thursday and Friday?
Looking at last year's schedule, I worked Thanksgiving (8 hours for the holiday + time and a half for working it); I requested Friday off to make a 3 day weekend. Because the contract doesn't allow me to float the holiday, I had to use PTO for the Friday. Not a huge deal as I'm never going to be able to use all my PTO...

We only have 6 recognized holidays here. We alternate years where one year we work one holiday and the next year we work two. We generally rotate the holidays out (at least the big ones). We definitely work days around the holiday, it just depends on which holiday it is. No holiday pay and instead we get a paid day off at a different time.

Bottom line, you are a staff pharmacist, at a large hospital, no weekends, or holidays, are off limit. Your family needs to be flexible on holidays.

Most of my extended family is healthcare so we routinely celebrated major holidays +/- 1-2 days to accommodate. Christmas was usually celebrated on the 24th and we ran Thanksgiving all day (morning to 2-3am Friday) so you can come before or after your shift.

My spouse (parents worked in finance) thought it was wild after we got married, hahah.