Any LGBT at MU in Indiana??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dansei

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With Indiana being in the news, does anyone know anything about the attitude towards LGBT students at MU-COM?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
F Indiana. My 2 cents.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think the state politics will change the attitude of the students and faculty at MUCOM. I don't personally know what their view is, but I imagine that it is open and accepting like other schools; however, as with most situations, it is the area around the school and the local population that you have to worry about in terms of LGBTQ acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from Indianapolis and from what I've seen here the last few days - very few people agree with RFRA, myself included. Local businesses are shutting down major expansion projects because of it and restaurants are putting "We serve everyone" and "Ban RFRA" signs in windows. Butler University's president put out a statement over the weekend to condemn it.

What I'm saying is, the actions of the Indiana State Senate and Governor Pence are misguided, archaic and irrational. This bill won't be around long once they realize that groups like GenCon (who brings in $50M a year) and the NCAA are serious about pulling events from the area based on the bill. I wouldn't worry much about MU-COM getting caught up in it, or any other school in the state for that matter.

I am from Indianapolis and from what I've seen here the last few days - very few people agree with RFRA, myself included. Local businesses are shutting down major expansion projects because of it and restaurants are putting "We serve everyone" and "Ban RFRA" signs in windows. Butler University's president put out a statement over the weekend to condemn it.

What I'm saying is, the actions of the Indiana State Senate and Governor Pence are misguided, archaic and irrational. This bill won't be around long once they realize that groups like GenCon (who brings in $50M a year) and the NCAA are serious about pulling events from the area based on the bill. I wouldn't worry much about MU-COM getting caught up in it, or any other school in the state for that matter.

And that's a state with marriage equality! There's a disturbing wave of state governments, governors, even judiciary across multiple states trying to pass similar legislations. I'm not optimistic as to how soon they will abandon their efforts.

And that's a state with marriage equality! There's a disturbing wave of state governments, governors, even judiciary across multiple states trying to pass similar legislations. I'm not optimistic as to how soon they will abandon their efforts.
Agreed. It's a ridiculous attempt, and in my opinion was written solely as a political "slap in the face" in retaliation of being were handed a "come to Jesus" moment in the 7th Circuit by J Posner after the marriage issue came about. This is nothing but a petty political power move that likely just cost Gov Pence another term.

Why don't you read about what this law does and is for so you can educate yourself. Otherwise you're just like any other Social Justice Warrior that goes after whoever has a counter opinion.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/03/30/your-questions-on-indianas-religious-freedom-bill-answered/

19 other states and the federal government (in a bill signed by Bill Clinton) have RFRA laws on the books. This is hardly a new type of law and is hardly controversial. You have people like the governor of Connecticut banning state travel to Indiana. Maybe he wants to take attention away from the fact that his state has an even stronger RFRA law on the books...

Just ridiculous.

Reactions: 3 users
In all honesty, I think a majority of people don't care if someone is LGBT, just as long as they don't shove it down others throats. Kind of like religous people.

People need to just chill out.

You are aware president obama supported a similar law in Illinois when he was a senator, right? Lol....

I have not checked the accuracy of your statement...if true, it only makes me appreciate our president's ability to adapt his views to modern times. He has done many things for the LGBT community since becoming president.

Why don't you read about what this law does and is for so you can educate yourself. Otherwise you're just like any other Social Justice Warrior that goes after whoever has a counter opinion.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/03/30/your-questions-on-indianas-religious-freedom-bill-answered/

19 other states and the federal government (in a bill signed by Bill Clinton) have RFRA laws on the books. This is hardly a new type of law and is hardly controversial. You have people like the governor of Connecticut banning state travel to Indiana. Maybe he wants to take attention away from the fact that his state has an even stronger RFRA law on the books...

Just ridiculous.

The link is hardly a source to the law on the books.
As for the federal law, it didn't need Bill Clinton's signature as it was passed with veto proof majority. In fact there are recent interviews of him where he says that he signed it as not to anger the Congress into passing an even more strongly worded piece of legislature.

Just ridiculous.

The emphasis, if you are keeping up with the news, is the prevention of new legislation being passed in new states. The RFRA bill in Georgia, which passed their senate, is now on hold in the house. As a Texan, I appreciate the vigilance and aggression toward such discriminatory bills. The beauty of this nation is the entrepreneurial spirit. If businesses—and local governments—wish to cease involvement with an area, it is there right to do so. Businesses are fully capable of recognizing the wrongs in our society. Right now, they are working responsibly to defend their employees across the nation. The power of money speaks, especially to the far right.

You are very correct about the hypocrisy; however, states likes Conneticut do not vehemently pursue and enforce laws of the past that discriminate against their citizens. The past may be filled with RFRA laws, but our generation is going to do their best to stop the development of hate in our nation.

The only ridiculous aspect of this is it has taken so long for this to develop.

The emphasis, if you are keeping up with the news, is the prevention of new legislation being passed in new states. The RFRA bill in Georgia, which passed their senate, is now on hold in the house. As a Texan, I appreciate the vigilance and aggression toward such discriminatory bills. The beauty of this nation is the entrepreneurial spirit. If businesses—and local governments—wish to cease involvement with an area, it is there right to do so. Businesses are fully capable of recognizing the wrongs in our society. Right now, they are working responsibly to defend their employees across the nation. The power of money speaks, especially to the far right.

You are very correct about the hypocrisy; however, states likes Conneticut do not vehemently pursue and enforce laws of the past that discriminate against their citizens. The past may be filled with RFRA laws, but our generation is going to do their best to stop the development of hate in our nation.

The only ridiculous aspect of this is it has taken so long for this to develop.

Connecticut's law was enacted in 1993. The law is not a discriminatory law. It does not give people a license to discriminate. It gives people a shield against people who are out to push their Social Justice agenda via the government. This can be seen by the baker or the florist that were forced by the government to provide services to a gay wedding when that was against their religious beliefs. It's as if you Social Justice Warriors are all about inclusion and nondiscrimination except when its a group you don't like such as Christians.

Apple is crying out about this law, but they still haven't shut down their store in Saudi Arabia. And we all know that Saudi Arabia is just so understanding and welcoming to homosexuality...

Reactions: 1 users
I have not checked the accuracy of your statement...if true, it only makes me appreciate our president's ability to adapt his views to modern times. He has done many things for the LGBT community since becoming president.

He says whatever is politically expedient at the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
the law in indiana is not the same compared to the the similar federal or connecticut one. nice try though.

Connecticut's law was enacted in 1993. The law is not a discriminatory law. It does not give people a license to discriminate. It gives people a shield against people who are out to push their Social Justice agenda via the government. This can be seen by the baker or the florist that were forced by the government to provide services to a gay wedding when that was against their religious beliefs. It's as if you Social Justice Warriors are all about inclusion and nondiscrimination except when its a group you don't like such as Christians.

I suppose Separate but Equal laws provided a shield for people against people out there pushing their Social Justice agenda via the government as well. Your words echo those of the South 160 years ago claiming that ending slavery would discriminate against their culture and way of life. They echo the words of George Wallace just several decades ago who claimed integration would destroy the people of Alabama's way of life. You know what? It did, and I am very happy about that.

I do not care if intolerance of discriminatory laws or what you might call "Christian values" (though I know a great many of Christians do not share these values) is hypocritical. The law that Indiana passed is just wrong, and any similar law that is enforced in other states is equally wrong. You can keep your rhetorical strategies to attempt to justify the passage of such laws, but as far as I am concerned it is just a load of Doublespeak.

Oh look, the mayor of Indianapolis just signed an executive order banning discrimination. Now why would he do such a thing if there wasn't a real possibility of it happening under the recent state law signed by Pence? He must be part of dumb media too amirite? Heh.

Just ridiculous.
I'm much less concerned about the 'discriminatory' provision of such a bill, and more concerned about the economic ramifications that come along with free interpretation of this bill. Whether we like it or not, people will take this how they please and so far that has meant major organizations telling our city that they will boycott or leave the state. These organizations bring in hundreds of millions of dollars annually. THAT is my concern.

Last edited:

Apple is crying out about this law, but they still haven't shut down their store in Saudi Arabia. And we all know that Saudi Arabia is just so understanding and welcoming to homosexuality...

Conservative Christians, as I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong, are included in every aspect of our society. The protections afforded to Christianity by our government extend past any protections given to minority groups. By no means are LGBT people attempting to discriminate or exclude Christians from society.

The big societal picture, which has yet to be realized, is excluding groups for features that cannot be changed is wrong. We, as Americans, came from a nation that restricted rights from people of color and women for generations based on religion. Each time with precedented passion, Christians feel discrimated against—or better yet, persecuted—for the inclusion of different groups. Discriminating against groups is not an inherent right; however, if you are born in a way that cannot be fixed, because nothing is wrong with the person, society should adapt to protect groups.

Religious beliefs that are defended ignorantly lead to many problems in society. Many religious people in this world are less extremist and the world is a better place for them. Discrimination against people based on religious beliefs does not require government protection. There is no room in modern society for discriminating against people due to things they cannot change—whether it be gender, gender identity, sexuality, or skin color. religious protections should never allow others to feel smaller or lesser.

Now take an extreme situation and spread some more intolerance. Your fundamentalist argument only lives on the premise that all aspects within a religion should be protected so that group can practice it, which I do not agree with.

Oh look, the mayor of Indianapolis just signed an executive order banning discrimination. Now why would he do such a thing if there wasn't a real possibility of it happening under the recent state law signed by Pence? He must be part of dumb media too amirite? Heh.

It's the politically expedient thing to do to try and satisfy the Social Justice Warriors.... But you knew that too.

It's the politically expedient thing to do to try and satisfy the Social Justice Warriors.... But you knew that too.

I'm sorry, I just cannot believe that someone is using the term "Social Justice Warriors" unironically. Lol, please, go back to Reddit.

Just ridiculous.

Indiana is being singled out because it is a convenient and easy target. The goal here is not just to further the cause, but to establish a new protected/privileged class. The LGBT titans in Silicon Valley and Hollywood will make it happen.

Shouldn't a wedding photographer/baker/caterer who doesn't want to take a particular job just say so, and not provide any further justification? Surely they regularly turn down other jobs for any number of reasons, why even elaborate on the specifics of the declining of the job?

I'm dead serious, why not just say "yeah, I'm not taking new jobs right now" and leave it at that? If I were a wedding photographer that's what I'd do to every single couple I thought might be a hassle to work with, or who requested my services on a day I wanted to be golfing or who had an annoying mother/in-law who was going to make me photoshop 30lbs off her figure or whatever.

I just don't see the need for this type of law to begin with. U.S. politics in general cause more problems than they solve.

You are not one of the 80% Christian minority that is being persecuted are you? So you wouldn't understand. First they took away our god given right to slavery. Then they tainted the purity of our blood and let colored folks marry white folks. If that wasn't bad enough they then gave them the vote. Now they won't even let us mistreat the homos!

Now can you see why we feel our rights are being hammered?

Reactions: 3 users
You are not one of the 80% Christian minority that is being persecuted are you? So you wouldn't understand. First they took away our god given right to slavery. Then they tainted the purity of our blood and let colored folks marry white folks. If that wasn't bad enough they then gave them the vote. Now they won't even let us mistreat the homos!

That was almost word-for-word the complaint that a certain someone throws around the SPF all the time.

The christian persecution complex is supremely annoying and insulting to those who are actually being discriminated against.

Don't forget they took the "Christ" out of Christmas.

“When I see so many people having gay friends, it makes me wonder if I should go out and get one,” IN governor.

:D