2022-2023 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
2022-2023 MU-COM Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admissions Committee to know about you.

2. Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your AACOMAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or convictions.)

3. Are you interested in practicing medicine in Indiana? If yes, please describe your interest and reasons why. If no, please explain why not.

4. Describe your motivation for attending MU-COM and osteopathic medicine. Please be specific.

5. Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks

6. In which area of medicine are you most interested in practicing and why (choose up to 3)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Received Acknowledgement of App , no secondary

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They said it'll be within 1-2 weeks

Reactions: 1 user
Does this mean we def will get one or are they going to screen now?

Does this mean we def will get one or are they going to screen now?
The email says “you may receive an invitation to complete a supplemental application”

So I think they still need to screen

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Please share any other relevant information that you would like the MU-COM Admissions Committee to know about you.
2. Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your AACOMAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or convictions.)
3. Are you interested in practicing medicine in Indiana? If yes, please describe your interest and reasons why. If no, please explain why not.
4. Describe your motivation for attending MU-COM and osteopathic medicine. Please be specific.
5. Please explain any gaps in education or employment longer than holidays and semester breaks
6. In which area of medicine are you most interested in practicing and why (choose up to 3)

Reactions: 1 users

Are there any character/word limits to the questions?

Secondary received just now!

Are y'all making a different COVID essay or using the one on your primary?

• Hmm
How long are your responses for the question on the top 3 specialties (no word limit)? Mine are like 200 each

Anyone else having server issues with the portal?

How long are your responses for the question on the top 3 specialties (no word limit)? Mine are like 200 each
Mine too. And I was having an issue paying but I tried again after 10 minutes and it worked

Mine too. And I was having an issue paying but I tried again after 10 minutes and it worked
Same here. I hit submit for payment and then got a server error message. Then a few minutes later, I still received a confirmation email with the transaction receipt number we have to input on the portal to mark that step as "complete" with a green check mark. All good in that regard. But as of right now, I can't even log back into the portal to submit my secondary.

Same here. I hit submit for payment and then got a server error message. Then a few minutes later, I still received a confirmation email with the transaction receipt number we have to input on the portal to mark that step as "complete" with a green check mark. All good in that regard. But as of right now, I can't even log back into the portal to submit my secondary.
I can't login either, just checked. Also that glitch caused me to be charged twice....not sure if that's worth a call since the receipt says it's nonrefundable 😅 it was $100 though

I can't login either, just checked. Also that glitch caused me to be charged twice....not sure if that's worth a call since the receipt says it's nonrefundable 😅 it was $100 though
I would try and get a refund since it was a glitch/server error that caused you to get charged twice

For the question asking us to explain gaps in education/employment, is this an appropriate space to write about current gap year plans, or is this only referring to gaps from the past?

Also, I found it interesting that they asked a COVID question given there was an essay for it on the primary. Should I just try to find something new to write about for this secondary question or somewhat rewrite what I already included in my primary COVID essay?

Mine are around 100 words. Should I add more? lol
Quality > Quantity. Personally, mine took like 200 words for like two of them, and about 300 for the other. There is no word limit, so I think its about giving a thoughtful response.

+1

Thx for this. I waited after payment even though it showed me an error but received an email a few minutes later. I would've paid again if it wasn't for this message!! THX MUCH.

Any of you who is OOS got secondary yet? Mine primary was verified on 06/17 and I did not have receive any notification or secondary from MU! So paranoid rn

OOS, app received 6/16, secondary received 6/20
Just tried to pay for submitting the secondary but it gave me an error page and charged my credit card.... Got an email with the confirmation after a few minutes luckily

OOS, app received 6/16, secondary received 6/20
Just tried to pay for submitting the secondary but it gave me an error page. Still charged my credit card though ......
It does that. Don't pay again. you'll get an email confirmation in a few mins

If you got charged twice (like me) they give you a refund! :) So if anyone else did that, give them a call

current student here, feel free to ask Qs if you have not already found an answer online

Has anyone been marked complete yet?

Got secondary,oos. I do have a question about the lors. It says a committee packet plus a science letter? I’m a bit confused on this. My letter packet, as far as I’m aware contains letters from science profs. Do I need a separate one not in packet?

Got secondary,oos. I do have a question about the lors. It says a committee packet plus a science letter? I’m a bit confused on this. My letter packet, as far as I’m aware contains letters from science profs. Do I need a separate one not in packet?
I'm also in a similar boat. I have a committee letter which fully includes letters from multiple people (one of which is a science professor)

How much are you guys saying for if you are interested in practicing medicine in Indiana? I don't think I have it in me to talk about why I'm so interested in Indiana and use up all the 300 words.

How much are you guys saying for if you are interested in practicing medicine in Indiana? I don't think I have it in me to talk about why I'm so interested in Indiana and use up all the 300 words.
I said no (OOS), gave a good explanation why, and used 150 words.
Has anyone been marked complete yet?
No, they said in your confirmation email you won't have LOR marked as received until they read them, and to allow them at least 4 weeks.

140-150 for me

I have a feeling that saying no is a big red flag for them as why would they want to teach anyone who is just going to leave the state vs ppl willing to stay and help in area?

I have a feeling that saying no is a big red flag for them as why would they want to teach anyone who is just going to leave the state vs ppl willing to stay and help in area?
Last year 43% of their class was OOS, I don't think they expect everyone to stay.

Maybe not but at least stating an interest of staying is good no?
Of course - if your interest is genuine and backed up with good reasoning. But I would not consider putting no as a 'big red flag', especially if you are someone with no connections to Indiana.

Last edited: