any moms out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi starrynight,
Congrats on your success. I'm an IDDP student at UIC. I'm a mom too. Its a little bit hard to be a mom and study at the same time but you get use to it eventually. The only thing you have to do is to encourage yourself all the time. I have one dvice for you. When you start your proram here at UIC be calm, be patient, don't rush things and don't follow others. Do what suits you and your family life. Good luck in your studies.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi starrynight,
Congrats on your success. I'm an IDDP student at UIC. I'm a mom too. Its a little bit hard to be a mom and study at the same time but you get use to it eventually. The only thing you have to do is to encourage yourself all the time. I have one dvice for you. When you start your proram here at UIC be calm, be patient, don't rush things and don't follow others. Do what suits you and your family life. Good luck in your studies.

thank you very much for your advice:) and for you congrat...i hope i will find the energy to get through the program; if you have some more specific tips and ideas about how to make my life a little bit easier at UIC, pls share them with me, i would be more than grateful;
good luck to you too:luck::luck::luck:

great news starrynight.heartiest congrats from my side.im waiting 4 my part1 results.ok congrats again

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Moms,
Anyone preparing for part 2 NBDE? If interested in combined study kindly pm me.I plan to take the test by next fall.
Thanks.

hi mommies,got my part1 score. its 82.not a good score.i think i hv 2 retake it .need ur suggestions.neways,thank u mommies 4 ur support.special thanks 2 tahaza.i ll waiting for the responses.ok thanks again

I am a mother of a 30 month toddler and have been able to appear for NBDE 1. So I think its not impossible to do it, though it is hard. Now I am applying to schools. But losing the confidence that I can do it. But I am still trying. After going through this thread I am feeling good

Thanks

hi there..am also preg now,with lot of nausea n vommiting.Planning to take exam in dec.Will i be able to do it??i just read ur post.plz advice,as am feeling low

helooo ladies
im 7 months preggy living in ct ..i was 3 months preg wen i gave my part 1.believe me it was so tough with me nauseous an vomitting all the time
but thank god my exams was great i scored 91 . i think my baby is real lucky for me..i l apply this year and join college next year hopefully..lets see
all the best to all you women out there..its tough to manage family and studies but believe me we can do anything we want..
hi there..am 4 month preg now,with lot of nausea n vommiting.Planning to take exam in dec.Will i be able to do it??i just read ur post.plz advice,as am feeling low

You will definitely do it. Be motivated. Keep imagining that you will be going to the dental school, then imagine about your practise. This will help you to reach towards your goal. This is what I did. Trust me when you start imagining good outcomes you automically start working towards it
Hope I have helped you out

Hey Mission..Dont worry..u will do really well.Jus put ur mind to it. Remember,once ur baby is here..u will have absolutely no time to study for ur exams..its very very different with a baby around esp the first yr. So keep thinking good thoughts.I understand the morning sickness, the hormones, the anticipation of ur baby will distract u but keep telling urself that if u just focus on ur education now..the future will be awesome!
Good luck!!

hi there..am 4 month preg now,with lot of nausea n vommiting.Planning to take exam in dec.Will i be able to do it??i just read ur post.plz advice,as am feeling low

I am a mother of a 30 month toddler and have been able to appear for NBDE 1. So I think its not impossible to do it, though it is hard. Now I am applying to schools. But losing the confidence that I can do it. But I am still trying. After going through this thread I am feeling good

Thanks

hello aashu,
you can do it mom!:) takes time and patience and again patience, but it is worth all the harsh time;) believe in yourself and think of your cutie pie because i know you can do anything for him/her:)
best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

hi there..am also preg now,with lot of nausea n vommiting.Planning to take exam in dec.Will i be able to do it??i just read ur post.plz advice,as am feeling low

hi mission,
you can do it:thumbup: the first 3 mos can be pretty rough, but they pass..if you're taking vitam pills in the morning try and switch them for evening...most of them can ampify your nausea...i took kids vitam, 2 tablets instead of one so i have everything i needed and i felt so much better...:laugh:
and as rtvj told you, do as much as you can right now being preggy...later will be not impossible, but harder;), right mommies?
best of luck:luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
hi mommies,got my part1 score. its 82.not a good score.i think i hv 2 retake it .need ur suggestions.neways,thank u mommies 4 ur support.special thanks 2 tahaza.i ll waiting for the responses.ok thanks again

hello smile:)
has the baby come yet? you were due this mos, right?
82 it is not a bad score, but you need to be more competitive, so it would be better if you can improve it...
my advice : take a break for a couple of mos, get and know your baby and try to put her/him on a schedule and then try to make room for your exam...
if the baby blues are menacing you, tell us, we'll hunt them down...have faith in you, you can do it:)
good luck and easy labor;)

Hello eveybody..This is such an interesting thread!
nice to see so many ppl on the same boat as I am in.
I have a 9 month old daughter and have gotten into BU last year.But I deferred my admission to 2008 to spend some time with my lil one :)
meanwhile I got intersested in UIC and am trying my luck out there this year.I have an interview call on the 17th of oct.i wud like to know if its ok to let the interviewer know that I have already gotten into another program..wud that affect their selection process in anyway..if asked qs abt if i have/havent applied to schools prev yr,what shud I tell them?
wud someone pls answer me this question.
thank u so much and good luck!

WOW!!! such a nice thread!.Its so nice to see so many mommies out there who are either tryin to get into or got into the IDP. i have a 2yr old boy(a very naughty one:))am planning to give the NBDE by the beginning of next yr.it just gave me a surge of confidence to see this thread.i think i'll keep coming back to this thread whenever i need a boost of confidence:)THANKS starrynite for starting this thread!...
its been more than 3yrs since i finished my BDS and was kind of out of touch with the subject all these time....so do u think i'll be able to pick up now.....and do u think going for a Kaplan test preparation programm will help....Please do reply anyone.Thanks .

hello momies.i hv been blessed with baby girl.im so happy.shz so cute n beautiful.thank you starrynight for ur encouragment.i was not prepared well for part1,but im finding it really hard to retake it.its difficult to prepare for a good score,coz i hv to take care of my family as well.one of my friends asked me to apply in one or two schools this year with my present score.wat do u think guys,shld i apply?if yes,then which schools?i hv got permanent resident card,it can help me in getting admision or not?ur help will be appreciated.starrynight if u hv any suggestions,plz pm me.thank u all.u pple hv always been a gr8 help to me

hi everyone
I have a six mo old beautiful beautiful daughter. Am applying to dental schools this year. am afraid I wont be able to handle the school with the kid. Is there anyone who has a baby and went to school. Is it doable?

hello mommies
well i have a 2 month old handsome young man in my life and he keeps me wrapped around his tiny fingers
im having so much fun right now but cant wait to begin my studies again
i just had a question especially from moms who have cleared interviews before ......if im asked in interviews should i mention that i have a small baby?
will it nt decrease my chances of getting thru if they know that ....
i dnt wanna lie but i have no work exp in usa as i was preggy an all that so if they ask the only excuse i have for that is this....any suggestions???????

Hi hellorose,

I went for Upenn interview and I was asked what I did after coming to the US and I told them everything including having a baby! The interviewers were pretty understanding when I told them I decided to stay at home atleast for the first 1 yr so I could be with my baby...one interviewer even said it was the right thing to do since I am pro nursing.They specifically asked me if I will be able to manage once I start school and I told them I was confident..I gave reasons for the same.One interviewer(a lady) told me that we women can achieve anything even with balancing a family & work...it was pretty encouraging hearing it from the interviewer!!
So dont worry..jus be honest and u will do well...i am sure all of them have gone thro all this...good luck!:thumbup::thumbup:

[/I]
hello mommies
well i have a 2 month old handsome young man in my life and he keeps me wrapped around his tiny fingers
im having so much fun right now but cant wait to begin my studies again
i just had a question especially from moms who have cleared interviews before ......if im asked in interviews should i mention that i have a small baby?
will it nt decrease my chances of getting thru if they know that ....
i dnt wanna lie but i have no work exp in usa as i was preggy an all that so if they ask the only excuse i have for that is this....any suggestions???????

thanks rtvj and smilzunltd
this was really encouraging ...i think the best thing to do is to be honest and leave everything else to GOD ...

hello dear mommies:love:

here are some thoughts...they don't have to work for everybody, but i hope that at least work a little bit:luck:
-plan your week in advance, know what you have to do and write down what you did and what you still have to do...in a week you will probably do what you have decided...not in a day...some days are better, some are worse...
-use one day to repeat what you learnt that week, or the week before...the more you repeat the better you'll know
-my advice-start with kaplan reviews, then go to dental decks, and when you master those do the exams reviews
-try to find a friend-mom to and help each other with your kids...one day one of you babysit both children and the other day the other way around...this way you have at least a little bit time free
-try to envolve your husband, extended family so you can spare some time for you
-one tip- in the kitchen-whenever i prepare something i cut and peel a quantity double then i need, and the one that i don't use i store it in the fridge for next time..next time you'll have less to do

i hope this will help:thumbup:
best of luck, mommies!
i like ur ideas it will definetely help all mommies ....n i will follow it....thanxxx for ideas

hi all mommies
i'm new in this site . i got amazed on seeing all the posts. you people are really great ..manages both family and studies amazing!! .
i came here recently after marriage. wish to prepare for nbde. i tried once , but got only 79. can anyone help me to study better with suggestions of what all to study and how to prepare clinical questions ..
pls help . i'm in a confused situation. asked many times , but didnt get help from anyone.

hi ,i jus cleared my part 1 got 89.jus go through kaplan nots, decks, released papers and i am sure you would do well.. jus keep yourself motivated . best is make a schedule and den work on it.
i hope it helps. good luck
ilta

it is a great help ilta. thankyou very much. it was a quick response.
how can i get kaplan notes. can i order it online. for the last exam i went through decks, released qs and rudman's book. i'm unhappy abt the results. should i buy nbde first aid and mosby review book??
i'll greatly appreciate if you culd help me with the schedule you followed . how long should it take for a good prep and for how many hrs.

once again thankyou very much for all mommies in this thread for being helpful.

yep you can order them online...www.kaplan.com
i think they are the basic foundation..everything is asked from them...
i read for about 4 months ,initially 6hrs per day, but as days comes near i increasd it to about 10 hrs. i think revision is very important...
i was 3 month preggy so lot of nausea n viomitting it was really tough for me but jus keep encouraging yourself....like i used to tell myself that i know more today then i knew yesterday..n i am working hard....
i jus used decks, released n KAPLAN..so don knw anything bout other books
hope this helps
ilta

hi ilta, i was patiently waiting for your reply. its a great helping hand.i 'll order it online.
all the very best for your future endeavours.
have a nice week end with your baby and family

Hi Mission,

You can do it. Don't worry at all. When I gave my part 1, I was 2 months pregnant & had severe nausea & vomitting. Keep some chocolate or lemon candy handy during exam. You can make it. Don't forget to take good amount rest & nutricious food.

Hello eveybody..This is such an interesting thread!
nice to see so many ppl on the same boat as I am in.
I have a 9 month old daughter and have gotten into BU last year.But I deferred my admission to 2008 to spend some time with my lil one :)
meanwhile I got intersested in UIC and am trying my luck out there this year.I have an interview call on the 17th of oct.i wud like to know if its ok to let the interviewer know that I have already gotten into another program..wud that affect their selection process in anyway..if asked qs abt if i have/havent applied to schools prev yr,what shud I tell them?
wud someone pls answer me this question.
thank u so much and good luck!

Hi smilzunltd,

Out of my experience, I am saying better not to tell interviewer or other professors who speak to you on the day of your interview about your acceptance in other school.

hey u wonderful mommies
i tumbled across this thread while searching for something else....
but as i read on....its been so encouraging....
i,m a mom of a 13 month old lovely daughter.
it was nice when i could just put her in crib or bouncer and get on with my stuff....but now since she,s learned to walk,/run around its become more difficult for me to find time to study....so any advice from you guys ,as to how u make time for studies will be greatly appreciated.
also i,m looking for a study partner to get started for ndbe part 1.

hey mommies
im just so depressed today...:(well even tho i have good scores but i havent even got admission anywhere...i gave interviews in 2 places havent heard from anyone...ppl with lower scores than me were accepted..and i think the only reason for that was that i do not have any experience in us ..everytime they asked me wat did u do since u came to us my only reply was gave my part 1 an had a baby...i just wanted to save a year but now it seems another year of my life is wasted..im thinking of givnig part2 and getting some work exp here...its just so sad and depressing sitting at home all day and being able to work ....just trying to stay positive ....

hey mommies
im just so depressed today...:(well even tho i have good scores but i havent even got admission anywhere...i gave interviews in 2 places havent heard from anyone...ppl with lower scores than me were accepted..and i think the only reason for that was that i do not have any experience in us ..everytime they asked me wat did u do since u came to us my only reply was gave my part 1 an had a baby...i just wanted to save a year but now it seems another year of my life is wasted..im thinking of givnig part2 and getting some work exp here...its just so sad and depressing sitting at home all day and being able to work ....just trying to stay positive ....

hello rose,
please don't be, depressed, i mean, the addmision is not over yet...they didn't send you rejection, right? so, please keep your faith, maybe some good news is on its way;)

btw, rose and mommies, if i were you, i wouldn't tell them about the baby unless they specifically ask you about him/her...i think they want us to be professional, 'unattached', being able to give 100% for their program...please, don't get me wrong, i don't say to lie about not having a baby, no, definively, not, just don't be the first to bring up the baby into the interview discussion

and rose, i am grateful that i had the opportunity to stay home with my baby almost 2 years...this time is so precious for me and for the bonding with my baby...i know that that's a one time chance and if i have more babies in the future they'll not going to be so fortunate like the first one...so try and don't consider this year wasted(even though you don't know that for sure now), but invested in the future of your baby's well being:love:

all my good thoughts to you and may the phone ring and bring you the good news!:luck::luck::luck:

hellorose..pls chk ur pm.:thumbup:

hey rt and starry
thnz guys ...im keeping my fingers crossed hoping for good things to happen..:luck:.feel so embarrased writing my sob story here but believe me after venting my frustration and getting replies from u guys actually i feel great/... the colleges who reject me are the losers and not me
good luck to u guys with college it will be tough but fun
all the best:thumbup:

hi all,
it is really good to see many mommies and their achievments.i am also a mom of three year old.tryin to get in to this prgrm since three years . even though i/v by three schools i am unable to get accepted. i am so depressed and it not only affecting me negatively but also to my family.i donot know what to do?.just sharing my thoughts i donot want offend others . good luck to those who got accepted.

Hey dentdds,
Dont feel so down...a lot of us go through periods like this but eventually we come out of it as a winner.
I wrote my part 1 mid 2005 and am joining school in 2008! Its a long time but I had some family /visa issues to take care of. It was frustrating not being able to do anything but I never lost hope.
I dont know ur scores/work exp but if u think there is something lacking in it ..try to improve it.Work experience either in ur home country or in the US is a big plus.
Since u have been called for interviews..the schools must've seen something good in ur application. So try to evaluate how u did during the interviews and improve on ur shortcomings if any.
And always remember that ur family is ur main strength..u might show ur frustrations on them but they r the only ones that will always stay by u thro' thick and thin.
I hope u get into the school of ur choice soon but if u dont....think its for the best and keep the faith.There is always light at the end of the tunnel.
Good luck!:thumbup:

hi all,
it is really good to see many mommies and their achievments.i am also a mom of three year old.tryin to get in to this prgrm since three years . even though i/v by three schools i am unable to get accepted. i am so depressed and it not only affecting me negatively but also to my family.i donot know what to do?.just sharing my thoughts i donot want offend others . good luck to those who got accepted.

thanks rtvj for ur consoling words.i donot have any school of choice as my only dream i get into school.My part-1-92,ECE-3.05 AND TOEFL -99.
i have 2 .5 years of exp from my home country 5months volunteer dental assistant and 7 months of expanded dental asistant.any ways
thank you
Hey dentdds,
Dont feel so down...a lot of us go through periods like this but eventually we come out of it as a winner.
I wrote my part 1 mid 2005 and am joining school in 2008! Its a long time but I had some family /visa issues to take care of. It was frustrating not being able to do anything but I never lost hope.
I dont know ur scores/work exp but if u think there is something lacking in it ..try to improve it.Work experience either in ur home country or in the US is a big plus.
Since u have been called for interviews..the schools must've seen something good in ur application. So try to evaluate how u did during the interviews and improve on ur shortcomings if any.
And always remember that ur family is ur main strength..u might show ur frustrations on them but they r the only ones that will always stay by u thro' thick and thin.
I hope u get into the school of ur choice soon but if u dont....think its for the best and keep the faith.There is always light at the end of the tunnel.

hello dear mommy,
sorry to hear about your misfortunes...you have good stats, maybe you can improve your toefl to pass it over 100, some schools like it better that way... and if you can take the nbde2, the better...and try more than 3 schools if you don't have a specific school you want to get in....i took my nbde 1 and 2 in 2004 and like RT said only 2008 will be the starting year...it was a long time and sometimes i felt low, but you won't have another chance to be so much with your baby as you have now, so try and enjoy it and make the best of it.. you will eventually succed and go to school and you'll come to cherish these past moments..
chin up, have faith and good good luck!:love:

hello ladies
its me once more to tell u all the grt news
im soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happpy
well ive got accepted at umn finally and after going thru a rolller coaster of emotions i can thankfully say im very happy and very grateful to u all sdners special mention to rtvj and starry:love:
life is goood and i love u allllllllllll currently im in india and having the time of my life :D:D:D:D

hellorose..I am so happy for u!! See...I told u that u will definitely get in!!
Have fun and enjoy ur time in India!

hello ladies
well ive got accepted at umn finally and after going thru a rolller coaster of emotions i can thankfully say im very happy and very grateful to u all sdners special mention to rtvj and starry:love:
life is goood and i love u allllllllllll currently im in india and having the time of my life :D:D:D:D

congrates an now it is:hardy: time

hello ladies

Hi starrynight,

came to us in dec 1999
i gave my part 1 in 2000 , got 83
part 2 in 2000 got 77,
took duggans classes and gave bench 3 times ...but lacked confidence and talent to make it... did not make it

i have a 3 yr old son and plan to have another baby as one child will be a loner...so want to retake part 1 again and score above 90 so that i can be accepted somewhere.. may be on 2009 .
need to know people who are doing this with kids..
:)best of luck to all u guys

came to us in dec 1999
i gave my part 1 in 2000 , got 83
part 2 in 2000 got 77,
took duggans classes and gave bench 3 times ...but lacked confidence and talent to make it... did not make it

i have a 3 yr old son and plan to have another baby as one child will be a loner...so want to retake part 1 again and score above 90 so that i can be accepted somewhere.. may be on 2009 .
need to know people who are doing this with kids..
:)best of luck to all u guys

guys i m 35 and will be 37 when i will enter school if all goes well..
do u think i have missed the boat...

hello ladies

congrats here too, mommy!
all the hard work doesn't go unrewarded;)..enjoy your time in India and dance as much as you feel like:love:!!!!!
all my good thoughts to you, take care,

Age is just a number. Go ahead..write ur part 1, get some work experience and apply next yr..am sure u will get thro!
Good luck!
:thumbup:
guys i m 35 and will be 37 when i will enter school if all goes well..
do u think i have missed the boat...

dear mommy,
as rtvj put it, age IS just a #, go for the nbde again..and if you want another baby you should hurry and have it :oops: before the school begins because meanwhile in school can be very hard...
about your kids, maybe you can ask for help from your parents ..your boy would be 5 in 2 years and that means kindergarden...there is a thread on single moms on the dental forums and if they can do it, we should do it, right? we have our husband help as well, right?
best of luck to you and keep up informed;)
take care,

Hi guys, i admire everyone here so much, you give me motivation!!

motivatedperson, we're in the exact same boat! Our cicumstances are exactly the same!

I forgot to say, i have 2 boys, a 4 year old and a 1 year old. I took part 1 in 1999 and i'm planning to retake it soon, hopefully get accepted somewhere by 2009!
How does everyone study with children? I've been trying serious study for 2 weeks and i can't do it yet! How can it be done??? Please help!!!!!!!!!

Dear all,
Its gr8 to read this thread. good work starry :)
I have a new born boi too. I got a call frm BU, Hope things will work out in my favour.
I know its not easy with kids but its possible.
Happymom

Yes..it will be tough managing a kid,a family and school...but remember Where there is a Will, there is a Way!! If we put our minds to it, we CAN do it!