Any other puckheads here ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I stirred the pot in another thread about hockey, and several other puckheads came out of the works. If you're a hockey fan here, announce your presence, and your affiliation(s).

I am Dr. RustedFox. Die-hard Pittsburgh Penguins fan. Loyal Tampa-Bay Lightning fan, and supporter of the Calgary Flames.

I hope that Philadelphia and Washington die in a fire.

Members don't see this ad.

My allegiance is to the ECHL Las Vegas Wranglers. After that though I gotta back the AHL Philly Phantoms and then, of course, the Flyers. I was in med school in Philly during the short lived but fun to watch Eric Lindros and the Legion of Doom days.

Members don't see this ad :)
College and Graduate School in Buffalo, NY so Sabres for me... looking solid this season too! The half-season may help them... they tend to have a nasty midseason slump haha

Sabres all the way. Lindros was a thug, Joe Thornton is a thug, and the Flyers and Bruins were the worse for them (locker room poison). And ask Rod Brind'Amour about Lindros and Rod the Bod's (now) ex-wife. Irony was Lindros breaking Thornton's face.

And, yes, I know, Thornton was captain in Boston and Lindros in Philly. That doesn't mean anything.

Ya sure, you betcha! Minnesota Wild! ...and Chi Blackhawks from our MN hockey hiatus after the North Stars were stolen away from us (I'll see you in hell Norm Green! - his own words: "Only an idiot could lose money on hockey in Minnesota")

Great start so far: Wild 1st in NW division, Chi 1st in Western Conference! If only we were at the real mid-season...lockout has been brutal!

I can't get enough puck, I actually drive a Zamboni after exam blocks at a local rink. Any pond hockey enthusiasts out there?!

So excited to have Parise and Suter!

Sabres all the way. Lindros was a thug, Joe Thornton is a thug, and the Flyers and Bruins were the worse for them (locker room poison). And ask Rod Brind'Amour about Lindros and Rod the Bod's (now) ex-wife. Irony was Lindros breaking Thornton's face.

And, yes, I know, Thornton was captain in Boston and Lindros in Philly. That doesn't mean anything.

Sabres are cool; I like their blue/yellow scheme infinitely better than the red/black/white of the late 90s/early 00s. I hope they win the NE division every year. Brooons are lame. Hate MTL. Indifferent to TOR and OTT.

Raised in southern Florida... got bit by hockey watching Vanbiesbrouck carry the Panthers into the Finals on his back. Can't stand the Flyers or most of their fans. Liked the Canucks because of Luongo, at least until the play-off meltdowns. Don't wish any specific harm on the Rangers, Bruins, or Penguins. Personally, I've played beer league (or it's college/grad school equivalent) between the pipes for 18 something years.

Last edited:
Ya sure, you betcha! Minnesota Wild! ...and Chi Blackhawks from our MN hockey hiatus after the North Stars were stolen away from us (I'll see you in hell Norm Green! - his own words: "Only an idiot could lose money on hockey in Minnesota")

Great start so far: Wild 1st in NW division, Chi 1st in Western Conference! If only we were at the real mid-season...lockout has been brutal!

I'm a Dallas Stars fan and have liked them ever since they were in MN. It does suck they moved down to the south, until I went to college in Arkansas and could watch their games on Fox Sports SW. Modano has been and always will be my favorite player. A highlight of my life was watching him play Pittsburgh a couple years ago in person. I was disappointed he signed with Detroit for a year but I understand the connection for him. Fun fact: my parents were at the North Stars game where the Mighty Ducks filmed a scene for the movie.

I can't get enough puck, I actually drive a Zamboni after exam blocks at a local rink. Any pond hockey enthusiasts out there?!

So excited to have Parise and Suter!

Pond hockey and outdoor rinks are a blast. I went to college in Bemidji, MN for a year and my favorite times were when we were on the outdoor rinks especially at night. I would love to go and play in the U.S. Pond Hockey Championships someday. I've had friends do it who had a great time.

Dallas Stars. Friend of mine got me hooked on the north stars and I followed them south. Chicago sucks. Can't really get used to hating ducks and sharks.

Sent from my A110 using Tapatalk 2

Dallas Stars. Friend of mine got me hooked on the north stars and I followed them south. Chicago sucks. Can't really get used to hating ducks and sharks.

Sent from my A110 using Tapatalk 2

Pacific Division = makes limited sense at best.

I say - "Contract the league by 2 teams, move 2 others."

Get rid of Phoenix, Miami. Move Nashville to Seattle. Keep it in the West. Move Columbus to Quebec City. Move it to the East. Shuffle Detroit to the east, shuffle Winnipeg to the West. Problem solved.

Before anyone says: "But but, RustedFox - then why not just get rid of your Tampa Bay Lightning ? They're the smaller-market team" .... Know this: half of Ontario moves here during the winter; drive to any Wal-Mart parking lot and look at the plates: New York, Massachusettes, Wisconsin.... Ontario, Ontario, Ontario, Ontario, Quebec, Ontario, Ontario, Ontario, New Brunswick, etc.

This place is "Ottawa South". There's more canucks around here than there were back in residency across the pond from Canada.

EDIT: I have no specific ill feelings towards the Dallas Stars. I also realize that I earlier said: "I hope that the Phoenix Coyotes do well every year." I need to clarify this - I like the present Yotes roster for a number of reasons. Keep the squad. Move the team.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Gotta shake the rust off. Losing to Philly tonight though just made me throw up in my mouth a little, I can't stand them. That 5 on 3 PP in the 3rd was pivotal, and it failed miserably. Nash, Gabby and Richards look sharp so far though, and this kid Pyatt is the real deal. Excited for 2013 hockey.

And P.S. Bruins fans, I hope Milan Lucic dies in a fire. can't stand him.

I watched the NYR/PHI game tonight with earnest. Wanted NYR to come back so badly. I hate PHI so much. I spent two years around the Philly area. Its the worst city in the east for so many reasons.

Pyatt seems like a cool cat. I met his brother at "Fan Fest" down here in Tampa Bay. Got his auto. Cool guy, he chirped about beating his brother this year.

I like Nash a lot. I especially love it when he carries the puck inside the circles, then turns his back on the forwards; from there, he can either snipe over his forehand side, or do some creative give-and-go stuff.

Isles fan here, born and raised. It ain't easy, but I'm loyal!

Pacific Division = makes limited sense at best.

I say - "Contract the league by 2 teams, move 2 others."

Get rid of Phoenix, Miami. Move Nashville to Seattle. Keep it in the West. Move Columbus to Quebec City. Move it to the East. Shuffle Detroit to the east, shuffle Winnipeg to the West. Problem solved.

Before anyone says: "But but, RustedFox - then why not just get rid of your Tampa Bay Lightning ? They're the smaller-market team" .... Know this: half of Ontario moves here during the winter; drive to any Wal-Mart parking lot and look at the plates: New York, Massachusettes, Wisconsin.... Ontario, Ontario, Ontario, Ontario, Quebec, Ontario, Ontario, Ontario, New Brunswick, etc.

This place is "Ottawa South". There's more canucks around here than there were back in residency across the pond from Canada.

Not a big fan of how you're willing to toss my team onto the scrap heap. It's a small sample size but attendence has been strong this year. Also, southern FL is the southern most borough of New York and we get tons of hockey fans wintering down here. The Panthers main problems have been that they've been consistently mediocre and haven't tanked enough to allow them to draft a Crosby, Malkin, or Stamkos and that they've had borderline to egregiously incompetent general managers for years.

Not a big fan of how you're willing to toss my team onto the scrap heap.

The cats are the intradivisional rival, so of course I want to toss them onto the scrap heap.

Also, southern FL is the southern most borough of New York

You say that like its a good thing.

The Panthers main problems have been that they've been consistently mediocre and haven't tanked enough to allow them to draft a Crosby, Malkin, or Stamkos and that they've had borderline to egregiously incompetent general managers for years.

Agreed. All-in-all, I'm just kidding you with my above barbs.TBL needs an in-state rival anyways. Who else to "delete", hmmm.....

Love how the Cryers are 0-3. Its funny, I don't hate the team members; I hate the fans and the city. I dont' mind Giroux. Hartnell is a great glue guy. I wish we had Talbot back. Its impossible to not like Bryzgalov.

lol not 0-3, they beat us :( ... I hate Hartnell and Giroux. love Talbot, just a good grinding player. And after watching the 24/7 series before our winter classic, Bryzgalov is an "interesting" guy to say the least. "The universe is so humongous big."... Uhh, sounds good Bryzy. Overall, can't stand the organization.

Haha these posts are making me realize how many hockey teams and players I truly dislike. Not that it's a bad thing in my mind :)

Yeah, you're right. I even watched the game. That's how tired I am right now; forgot about it. Let that be a lesson to the young'ns that say: "I can work 5, maybe 6 days straight in a row as a young doc; it'll be easy." ha ha ha. WSH is 0-3. *Fart noise*.

I got tickets to see OTT at TBL tonight. Can't freaking wait.

Bryz: "The problem with monkeys is, is they push the wrong buttons."

No one gets away with calling me a puckhead.

Red Wings fan. It's not my #1 sport, but I've always enjoyed hockey. Thrilled to have some of the season salvaged.

LETS GO BLUES

Grew up in Detroit, live in Detroit. Wings all the way. I made sure to get to about 20-30 games a year all through residency. You have to have priorities of course. I love traveling to other cities for games and have had a blast getting stuff thrown at me in Chicago and Nashville.

Anyone else here still pissed about the lockout? I still have a deep soldering hatred for the whole ordeal. I haven't made a game yet and have no immediate plans to go. I still can't give it up though. The way the wings are playing, I end up angry and drunk on my couch all too often now.

Puck drops soon. Maybe tonight will be different...

Grew up in Detroit, live in Detroit. Wings all the way. I made sure to get to about 20-30 games a year all through residency. You have to have priorities of course. I love traveling to other cities for games and have had a blast getting stuff thrown at me in Chicago and Nashville.

Anyone else here still pissed about the lockout? I still have a deep soldering hatred for the whole ordeal. I haven't made a game yet and have no immediate plans to go. I still can't give it up though. The way the wings are playing, I end up angry and drunk on my couch all too often now.

Puck drops soon. Maybe tonight will be different...

I'm still miffed over the lockout, yes - however, I went to the game tonight (TBL 6, OTT 4) and dropped 300 bucks on merchandise alone (I got a sweet jacket, the little lady got a longsleeve and a hoodie, I bought a puck and some other nonsense).

Its the only sport left that's not played by steroid freaks or violent criminals. You don't hear about how there will be asterisks in the record books for those who tested positive for "andro", and hockey players don't walk into nightclubs carrying guns (and maybe, shoot themselves in the leg) because they've got "street cred" to defend.

I grew up playing baseball, so I still follow it. I can't even watch football or.... that other thing with the tall people.

Last edited:

First of all... its Georges Laraque. I'd take anything that zero says with a tablespoon of salt. Good riddance. Second of all... yes, the NHL isn't totally clean; its problem is more with narcotic painkillers than with PEDs, but the problem is not so widespread as to merit a congressional investigation, or isn't so multifactorial such that its a media circus every season (guns and nightclubs, "bounty" clans out for an opposing QB, etc.)

working on my thread hijacking talents. They're lacking.

Exactly. Everyone associates PEDs w/ purely trying to get yolked. Wrong. Many if not most athletes use them for their recovery/stamina properties.

WARNING: Not at all EM related (but neither is any post in this thread)

...the NHL isn't totally clean; its problem is more with narcotic painkillers than with PEDs...

Fox, since we are on the subject of PEDs, it made me think of a moment I had a few days ago, if you don't mind me hijacking a hockey thread, that hijacked an entire Emergency Medicine forum...

A Tale of Two Armstrongs

By Birdstrike M.D.

I was sitting on my couch watching Oprah's interview with Lance Armstrong. As Lance spoke of the effect his lies had on his 13 year old son, he began to choke up. My ears perked up and my eyes were drawn to the TV screen. The emotion seemed real. Was it the realization that his own children were suffering to defend his lies that which finally made him admit to his fraud?

My young daughter's eyes were drawn away from her iPad-induced trance to the screen, also. "Daddy, that's Lance Armstrong, he flew to the moon. He's a hero!" she said with excitement.

"Not quite, honey. That's Lance Armstrong. You are thinking of Neil Armstrong who was the first man to walk on the Moon. He risked his life to ride a rocket to the Moon. Lots of people would agree with you, that he's a hero," I answered. "That guy on the TV screen is Lance Armstrong. He rode a bicycle."

"Ha, ha! That's no big deal. I can do that," she laughed.

"Well, it's more complicated than that. He raced his bicycle. When he was younger he got very sick with cancer. He almost died. He wasn't able to race his bike anymore, or even ride it. Then amazingly he was treated, got better, and was cured. He began to ride his bike again. He started racing again and amazingly, he won the most difficult bike race in the world," I explained.

"W o w ...." she said in awe.

"Then he won it six more times in a row," I went on. "His story was an inspiration to people around the world."

"Whoa. That's amazing!" she exclaimed. "Then why does he look like he's about to cry, talking to that lady?"

"Well, it turns out he was cheating the whole time, and lied about it," I explained. "He's admitting it right now on TV, to her and to the world. He was also not very nice to a lot of people who dared to tell the truth about him. He's in a lot of trouble."

"Oh, wow," she said.

"What he did was wrong, but there's a lot you can learn from this man and his mistakes," I said.

"Like, how to ride my bike fast?" she asked.

"No. What you can learn from him is,

1- Don't lie,
2- Don't cheat,
3- Be nice to others, and
4- It's never too late to do the right thing," I answered.

"I know! I learned that in Kindergarten," she answered me, unimpressed. "He must not have paid attention. I bet he didn't do his homework."

Hmm...She's right, I thought to myself. It reminded me of the old book title, "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten."

I haven't even read your reply yet, but I say already:

Hijack away.

After all, this forum has become....

- and regarding the two "golf PED" articles.

The first has a middle-aged fat man taking beta-blockers and testosterone and testing positive for PEDs. Guy isn't juicing; he's trying to stave off CAD and still get a boner sometime.

The second has the majority of PGA touring pros stating that they "think that Tiger Woods took PEDs". Hardly evidence of any actual PED use on the tour.

Do I think that there is PED use on the PGA tour ? Sure, you bet. They're not trying to become Bruce Banner-like hulks... they're trying to calm the yips. Pro golfers aren't the most cardiovascularly fit individuals. The lines there get really blurry. I think that sometimes I might do well on a low-dose B-blocker, just to calm some skittishness in my own world. A lot of us might. Beats being on a benzodiazepine, and all the stigma that *that* comes along with.

My point being: you don't see a SportsCenter sound byte saying: "PGA lardass Craig Stadler carried a glock into a strip club this weekend when the weapon "accidentally" discharged, wounding rival record-label mogul Homeboy McHomestar. He recently tested positive for several PEDs, including metoprolol and plavix."

C'mon, man - I'm going to have to offer a rebuttal.

-He recently tested positive for several PEDs, including metoprolol and plavix."

They prevented him from dying of an MI on the golf course, therefore improved his performance, ie, an unfair advantage.

:laugh:

They prevented him from dying of an MI on the golf course, therefore improved his performance, ie, an unfair advantage.

:laugh:

Now you're catching on. :)

There's a difference between "dull the pain, let me skate" and "HIT BALL HARDER, MURDER MOAR LINEMEN LOLZ!"

The basketball players ? I don't even know if they use PEDs. They're just a clown-show all their own. Strippers, hookers, guns, drugs, rap albums, sneakers, who-shot-who's limo driver, "entourages", .... anything but the actual game of basketball.

Hmm...She’s right, I thought to myself. It reminded me of the old book title, "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten."

I love that book. It's by a guy named Robert Fulghum. I wrote a parody of it in med school.

With apologies to Robert Fulgum
Everything I Ever Really Needed To Know I Learned In Med School

Your peers are your enemies. Trust no one.

Never allow understanding to hinder memorization.

Everyone says they hate brown nosers but a good tongue in your ass can really cloud your values.

If a med student works really hard he may achieve a status slightly higher than that of feces, but only if he works really hard.

Medical curriculum will quickly adopt every weirdo cause that comes along.

Med school means easy money. Unfortunately it's easy money for med schools, book stores and lenders.

There are lots of ways to get sick and die and none of them look too fun.

Medicine doesn't really cure people. It's mainly a field dedicated to observing and categorizing suffering.

All other health care professionals (RNs, Pharmacists, PTs, orderlies and administrators) hate you.

Attendings would like to be indifferent but they don't have time.

Residents and Interns have only one group that they can abuse (Guess who!).

Basic science professors will never understand that you are not a Ph.D. student in their field.

Those with good attitudes don’t really understand what’s going on.

North Philadelphia is not a happy place.

If you had to pick a color to wear around sick people who bleed, vomit, drain and just generally ooze all day long would it be white?

Med school affords the opportunity for Type B people to upgrade to Type A and for Type As to break the 250 mmHg systolic mark.

Teamwork, cooperation and input from your colleagues can be a terrific source of annoyance.

Med school provides a unique opportunity to hate your profession before you even start it.

The vast quantities of knowledge you gain from the years of basic sciences will lay a fundamental, solid groundwork of utter confusion since you don’t know anything about clinical medicine.

Any insanely arcane topic that seems utterly useless will be said to be on the (pick one: SAT, MCAT, USMLE 1,2,3,etc.).

Never ask a question if the professor looks like he might be about to end class.

Gross anatomy is provided chiefly to enhance the surreal nature of med school.

All of the above can mean A and B but not C.

It’s amazing how a hospital with a good reputation can be so filthy, cluttered and disorganized.

And...

With apologies to Robert Fulgum
Everything I Ever Really Needed To Know I Learned In Clinical Clerkship

Nurses are mean and spiteful people. Shun them.

Whatever you do will be wrong. Accept that and enjoy.

Clinical grades are not subjective. They are really more like random chance.

Don’t worry. A vindictive resident can not ruin your life, just your medical career.

It doesn’t really matter what you are doing, just look busy while you are doing it.

The white coats lose their novelty very quickly.

Always introduce yourself as a student doctor. It is the best compromise between being thrown out of the room and being an outright fraud.

Your love of medicine will stay with you for your entire life. Your sanity, personal hygiene and libido will be gone by week two of your surgery clerkship.

Don’t get your hopes up. Period.

Moar "Everything I needed to Know" jokes, please. :)

TBL vs. PHI tonght. I got tickets 12 rows back off the glass.

Be the Thunder.

GO BOLTS.

Brooons beating my Pens 2-1 right now. Six minutes left.

a;ldskfj;aldskjf;lakj *keyboard smash* a;ldskjfaldskja;ldfsjk;

Sabres 3-1 over the Broadway Blue Shirts! 5 penalties for the Rangers vs just 1 for Buffalo, and that was the last one called - I think just to balance. Only score for the Rangers was a shorty, though (and only their 2nd of the year).

Got my rinkside tickets for the Leafs next Thursday! (Well, right behind the Buffalo bench - close enough!)

And RF you didn't comment on your Bolts and Anthony Sullivan! I thought it was kinda clever!