Any Pharmacists who are 10 plus years in the field out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shutterfly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering if there where any pharmacist who have been in the field and are still in the field for 10 years plus. I would like some insight into your pharmacy career (where you started off, how you progressed, and where you are now). I would also like to know how you managed the stress and other obstacles in your pharmacy career. Lately I have been feeling very trapped and jaded about pharmacy. I am not sure how to deal with it and I believe it is preventing me from being happy in my life. I also recently noticed there aren't as many 35-45 year olds out there who are pharmacists (I could be completely wrong as I see mostly new grads, foreign grads, or really old pharmacists). Is the 35-45 year old gap due to this population being managers or just because they do something else after being a pharmacist.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What is causing you to be unhappy?

wish I could answer that. I guess part of me feels trapped and I feel like I can't see myself doing this for 10+ years. Also I think when I was an intern, I was very goal oriented so I never thought "oh one day it will be me behind this counter...can i deal with this for the rest of my life"....I was more focused on finished my degree. Now, I feel goal less (I have reached my peak). Honestly the money is nice to have for the future but it isn't motivating for me personally. idk if I'm the only who feel like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
soooo any 10 plus year pharmacist or do they all retire or not know what sdn is :D

It's interesting, but I agree, most of the pharmacists I know are under 30, or over 50. I could probably say under 26 and over 55, even. I don't know of anybody who has abandoned the profession, so I don't think that is the reason. Maybe it's just a generational thing, and that wasn't a popular choice for that time.

I'm only a year in, so I can somewhat relate about the "goal oriented" thing. Before there was always the next test around the corner, the next SOAP to write, the next presentation to prepare. Now I get out of work and have nothing that needs to be done. I'm not saying I don't have hobbies, but I do feel a bit listless with nothing to truly focus on. Paying off loans and getting a house are goals, but those are more mid-ranged for a few years out. The past 20 years of school have conditioned me for short-range goals that are due in a month or less, so it is a change of pace.

I can totally relate to the posters above. I feel extremely stressed with this job and to think that I have to do this for the rest of my life it even for next 10 yest is just unthinkable. There is just no work life balance specially if you work for chains. And I feel the degree goes to toilet when every day you deal with ****ty customers and crack head techs , run the register and be a corporate slave. I am trapped into good money and a bad career choice.

I'm planning on working part time after I pay off my loans, but I also plan not to have kids so it may be easier for me to do that than married folks with family to support. We'll see how that goes.

its good to know I'm not the only pharmacist out there that feels like this (was worried). i do forget how lucky we are to make 6 figs working a job but sometimes i feel like my non pharmacist friends are more satisfied in life.

What you are going through is very common. Sooner or later you are going to hate retail (and people in general).

There is no easy answer. Keep on applying for another position. Make as much money as you can and invest it. Look for a side business.

I'm in your range there. I started as an intern in 1999 and got licensed in 2003. Yup, after you graduate things get pretty mundane and monotonous. There are ways to make the best of things, try and find a setting or institution that doesn't make you hate your life. I used to work for CVS and hated my life. My wife is 8 years younger than me and she is a pharmacist too. She worked for CVS as an intern and was fine, but when she became a pharmacist she hate her life too. Now both her and I don't work there anymore and we are both very happy where we are.

As far as other things to make you happy. Pharmacist salaries as it stands now, is very generous. Use that $$$ to improve your quality of life. Go on vacations, travel, go to museums, fine dining, museums, cars, buy your dream home, etc. Just use it to live life.

To get your competitive juices flowing, try and look for management positions or maybe a challenge of a start up. Or screw the pharm biz all together as far as goals, just use it as a pay check. Use the money made in pharmacy to invest something such as real estate. Being that we barely get education regarding economics, I try and educate myself and then invest. Coming out of school, most people don't make as much money as us to start so consider it a head start. If you are smart with your money, use it to invest in your future. Even though I loved cars, I did not buy anything for awhile because I wanted real estate 1st. After I stabilized my future then I splurged with luxuries.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, I'm 10+ years out, actually around 25 - 30 years out, so close to your question of 35-45 year old pharmacists. (strangely, I've noticed that too....I'm not sure where all the 35-45 year old pharmacists are.) Maybe I'm an anomaly, but I've never felt "trapped". I've worked several different jobs, in both retail & hospital. I enjoy both, I've never had any regrets about going into pharmacy. Dealing with stress.....well, I had a difficult childhood, and generally I've never had a customer cuss at me more than I heard growing up....so it rolls off my back. On one hand a normal person with healthy self esteem has an advantage over how I was starting out, on the other hand, if a person has been lucky enough to be sheltered, I can understand how the behavior they will encounter in the workplace (especially in retail, but hospitals aren't immune from this), can be a shock. I'd recommend reading some books on setting boundary's or co-dependency, many of the ideas can be useful in dealing with troublesome people in any environment, whether they be your customers, co-workers, or bosses.

Also, I believe the adage that no man is an island is true. Getting married was one of the best decisions I've ever made (although I'd sworn for many years that I would *never* get married.) But even being single, I found it important to socialize and have healthy friendships. It is sooo easy to get home from work and not want to do anything, but too much empty time is not good for a person.

Remember there are always answers. Either you can learn to be happy as a pharmacist, or you can figure out a different career path. Only you can figure out what you need to do, but you first you need to believe that it is possible for you to be happy.

Both of the pharmacists I work with are in that 35-45 age range have been pharmacists for a while. The older one has worked at that CVS for like 10+ years. To me, both seem to take it as a job and take vacations and have hobbies outside of pharmacy that they enjoy. The younger pharmacist has always worked at CVS, but not the same store (she moved at some point). Take it as a job. Don't take it home. They both deal with stressful customers differently. One gives in to like whatever they want (within reason of course) and the other just sticks with the rules (like to the letter of the law). I do think at the end of the day both enjoy their job and both are good pharmacists.

Just sent PM to older pharmacists. appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started off on the front-lines in retail. Yes it is a very stressful job. I guess at the time, I was all gung-ho and motivated by all the cash I was raking in, so I didn't care about getting cussed at by customers, etc. I mean, where else in your mid-20s could you be making $200k with all the time and a half OT we had available. But then the economy collapsed, the gravy train derailed and we were left doing the same stressful work for $100k.

Luckily I didn't piss all my money away, and had paid off my student loans and a large chunk of my mortgage. But in a way, that meant my motivation to work hard to pay off those debts and push through the stresses of retail was also gone. So I transferred to a position with no customer contact, work at home, just verifying prescriptions all day. And it has been total bliss. My blood pressure is now nice and low. The screaming has stopped, though I still get a bit of PTSD even triggered by someone getting yelled at, at an airport check-in counter, for example.

Honestly, I don't know how anyone can keep their sanity in retail for more than 10 years, but I greatly admire those who do. Fortunately, there are many other opportunities for pharmacists out there, so you don't have to feel trapped. Learn from your experiences to make you stronger, but keep on looking for something better.

I always remind my interns of this, do you want to stand behind a counter in a 'Fish Bowl' for the next 30-40 years? The very thought sounds terrible and depressing to me unless you own an independent or only work 20hrs a week. I have a hard time feeling bad for friends who now hate their retail jobs, they should have known what they were getting into. I used to always warn them as well as faculty about the high burn out rate and lack of satisfaction

Not all pharmacy is like this though, I love my ambulatory care position. I am happy to go to work each morning. :)

I don't want this to turn into another "I hate retail" thread. But if you can't see yourself doing retail for the next 30 years, this profession is not for you. The majority of jobs are still in retail and that is not going to change.

my experiences haven't been retail based at all. while retail does suck, I feel like all pharmacy sucks. At least maybe my experiences so far and drama.

as for the fact that people always put down retail, I will never get that (professors and all). 70% of jobs are in retail..that is a fact. Unless you are top of the top/get very lucky/very flexible nowadays it is really hard to get into and stay in a clinical job.

also another insight I have noticed on this board that frustrates me to no end is people always say this saturation will weed good pharmacists from bad ones. In my opinion I do not agree. It is all luck based. Yes I agree hard work is important but I have seen people do PGY1 and end up at Rite Aid. I have seen people from Rite Aid move into hospitals. Right now in my city area a lot of PGY1 are being offered only PRN jobs in hospital (like WTF?!)

Maybe I am just being too philosophical.

We all assumed you work in retail because it is so miserable there lol

Where are you working then?

Unless you are top of the top/get very lucky/very flexible nowadays it is really hard to get into and stay in a clinical job.
In my opinion I do not agree. It is all luck based. Maybe I am just being too philosophical.

Yes, I was in the top of my class but my work ethic, networking and personality are what allowed me find a purely clinical position in my major metro area. Luck/chance does play some role in all positions, though by no means is it all determined by luck. Winners go out and do what needs to be done to achieve success/happiness/advance the profession/growth and losers blame everything on 'luck/chance' to explain why they are not satisfied/happy/successful in their own lives/jobs. Sorry to hear that you fall in the latter category, I hope you are able to change your perspective and find happiness in your life.

I look forward to my time off and I look forward to my time at work. :) Half of my colleagues are middle aged, 40s and they are a fun and happy bunch of ambulatory care pharmacists. I have not actually met any ambulatory care colleague that seemed unhappy with their career. Pharmacy has treated me well and I only see more opportunities coming down the pipe, as medical mgmt keeps asking for more... ;) Off for a run now!

losers blame everything on 'luck/chance' to explain why they are not satisfied/happy/successful in their own lives/jobs.

I must say that is a pretty bold statement. Did I work hard? Yes. I didn't give up but I can tell you I was pretty close. I was also there at the right time. Was that just luck? Not entirely but it played a major role in my success.

Yes, I was in the top of my class but my work ethic, networking and personality are what allowed me find a purely clinical position in my major metro area. Luck/chance does play some role in all positions, though by no means is it all determined by luck. Winners go out and do what needs to be done to achieve success/happiness/advance the profession/growth and losers blame everything on 'luck/chance' to explain why they are not satisfied/happy/successful in their own lives/jobs. Sorry to hear that you fall in the latter category, I hope you are able to change your perspective and find happiness in your life.

I look forward to my time off and I look forward to my time at work. :) Half of my colleagues are middle aged, 40s and they are a fun and happy bunch of ambulatory care pharmacists. I have not actually met any ambulatory care colleague that seemed unhappy with their career. Pharmacy has treated me well and I only see more opportunities coming down the pipe, as medical mgmt keeps asking for more... ;) Off for a run now!
Do you think am care jobs will grow? I hear mixed things from people, my professors say am care will be a growing field bit others seem to say there are few jobs in am care.

Hi All,

I was wondering if there where any pharmacist who have been in the field and are still in the field for 10 years plus. I would like some insight into your pharmacy career (where you started off, how you progressed, and where you are now). I would also like to know how you managed the stress and other obstacles in your pharmacy career. Lately I have been feeling very trapped and jaded about pharmacy. I am not sure how to deal with it and I believe it is preventing me from being happy in my life. I also recently noticed there aren't as many 35-45 year olds out there who are pharmacists (I could be completely wrong as I see mostly new grads, foreign grads, or really old pharmacists). Is the 35-45 year old gap due to this population being managers or just because they do something else after being a pharmacist.

Thanks!

Approaching 20 years. Happy pharmacist here. Perhaps we're too busy to respond.

Thirty two years this August. Life is what you make it. It's a job. Focus on the good you do and don't take home the crap. Figure out the minimum you have to do to keep your boss of your back and enjoy your life. As bad as it can be some time, you get paid a great deal of money so enjoy....

Approaching 20 years. Happy pharmacist here. Perhaps we're too busy to respond.

Thought you were dead or ran off the Spiriva. You two are almost never around anymore. Your new gig is still good? I'm looking for some good pictures of what you make with the smoker.....

Old Timer and Z- what is your pharmacist story? where did you all start off (did you guys have to compound only back in the day LOL)?

Hi Shutterfly!

I am exactly 39. I graduated in '97, and have been an overnighter week on/off ever since. My full time jobs have been with CVS/Walgreens/Omnicare/Kroger (yep, there used to be a 24hr Kroger pharmacy...easiest job in the world before it was phased out), and now my current job with a newish small company.

I've always had a second part time job on the side for my "off" weeks too. Those have been things like Target, Sams Club, Pharmerica, numerous independents...

I have been miserable, and I have been very happy. I am not praying for an early death at the moment.

Well, sonofabitch, I will have to continue this some other time. I just noticed its already 7:15pm. If I don't get in the shower I will be late to work.

Although I'm a new graduate, I feel like from the opinions I hear, newer graduates are less happier with pharmacy than people who have been here years ago. I may b wrong but when I started pharmacy school in 2008, tons of people were encouraging me to stay even tho I was considering switching to something else. People kept telling me it's a great, easy job with good pay. It's been during the peak of the saturation in 2010 where I've started hearing a little more negative things about the profession. By that time it was too late for me to switch majors, so now I'm trying to navigate my options. It's nowhere as easy any of my faculty or school staff made it sound.

no kendrick your right. I think it is because being a new grad and trying to set into our first role as a pharmacist, a lot of our new DMs we get don't know us so they use us a lot easier because they all know the saturation exists. Also switching roles if you are unhappy at a job is a lot harder than it use to be a couple years down the road.

While older pharmacists are more established in their positions and roles, they have that repor set up with their supervisors.

Although I'm a new graduate, I feel like from the opinions I hear, newer graduates are less happier with pharmacy than people who have been here years ago. I may b wrong but when I started pharmacy school in 2008, tons of people were encouraging me to stay even tho I was considering switching to something else. People kept telling me it's a great, easy job with good pay. It's been during the peak of the saturation in 2010 where I've started hearing a little more negative things about the profession. By that time it was too late for me to switch majors, so now I'm trying to navigate my options. It's nowhere as easy any of my faculty or school staff made it sound.

I agree with this. Overall, I feel happy with my job but it's hard not to feel "stuck." Not that I'm literally stuck, but if I wanted to find a new comparable or better job, it would probably be difficult and may require uprooting my family and moving yet again.

At one of my residency interviews, some pharmacists were commenting on how you could basically just walk in to a residency a few years ago. Sometimes it's hard not to wonder what life would have been like if I decided to go to pharmacy school a few years earlier. But best not to dwell on things you can't change.

graduated in 2012 as one of the top of my class, never even considered residency or hospital. was onto my third FT pharmacist job within 7 months of getting licensed, at my choosing. now that I've been at this company since Feb 2013, I have an opportunity for a pharmacy supervisor position. it's what you make of it. I thrive in retail, while the majority will just find something to complain about.

Thought you were dead or ran off the Spiriva. You two are almost never around anymore. Your new gig is still good? I'm looking for some good pictures of what you make with the smoker.....

There's no better way of smoking a brisket than a Ceramic Kamodo Grill. Brisket comes out oh so smokey, tender, moist, and steamy. I go out and cut some Blue Oak from my backyard...throw it in, and it's good to go for 15 hours at 220 degrees.

^^ can we not post about grilling on this thread? Please use PMs. They are great. You two old timers can share stories.

^^ can we not post about grilling on this thread? Please use PMs. They are great. You two old timers can share stories.

With our seniority we reserve the right to derail any thread. Also, best not to get on Z's bad side......

Reactions: 2 users
With our seniority we reserve the right to derail any thread. Also, best not to get on Z's bad side......

seniority works best at denny's

Last edited:
70% of jobs are in retail..that is a fact. Unless you are top of the top/get very lucky/very flexible nowadays it is really hard to get into and stay in a clinical job.

Luck is a big part of it. I got my hospital job despite being a middle of the road student and no residency because I was in the right place at the right time, and they needed several new pharmacists right away. Job postings from our health system typically have requirements that I just don't have.

Everyone in my class said Walmart was one of the better places to work vs. the big three chains and the day my job was posted I applied and got a call later that same day. It was rural, but hopefully when I'm there and fully trained and good at the job, I could transfer somewhere else eventually. I don't know anyone else in my class who signed with Walmart. Mostly Walgreens and Rite Aid I'd say.

20-year pharmacist here, 18 years active. I decided to leave active practice in 2012 because the whole health care field has become unrecognizable in recent years. I am licensed in 3 states and plan to stay that way, because You Never Know.

The support I've gotten from colleagues has been 100%. Most of them would do the same thing if they didn't have kids and/or serious health issues of their own.

As for retail, I haven't done that since 2002. The "retail" department at my old hospital was employees and dependents only, and hospice too. Retail pharmacists who've been in the profession for a while agree to a person that the worst part of their jobs is immunizations, and that giving them is mandatory.

20-year pharmacist here, 18 years active. I decided to leave active practice in 2012 because the whole health care field has become unrecognizable in recent years. I am licensed in 3 states and plan to stay that way, because You Never Know.

The support I've gotten from colleagues has been 100%. Most of them would do the same thing if they didn't have kids and/or serious health issues of their own.

As for retail, I haven't done that since 2002. The "retail" department at my old hospital was employees and dependents only, and hospice too. Retail pharmacists who've been in the profession for a while agree to a person that the worst part of their jobs is immunizations, and that giving them is mandatory.

What do you do now rph? I feel like a lot of pharmacist get burnt out after a decade and do something else with their lives.

I just had my 10 year anniversary of graduating school - I have had four jobs - first was retail for 6 months, then a small hospital for a year, then a year in crappy retail overnight shifts, now been in a nice hospital for 7 years. I am in the "eh" stage, I have a good job, every now and then I feel I like I add a bit to patient care and make a difference, but most of the time I just feel like I am treading water. I would love to get into a field where I have a sense of accomplishment, but I don't see it happening. I only put in 40 hours, get paid well, and always look forward to travel outside of work

Treading water… I like that expression. It captures the way I feel perfectly.

Treading water… I like that expression. It captures the way I feel perfectly.
it is true - almost like factory work (but better money). I actually feel kinda trapped. I might have the opportunity to get into industry work, which has a much higher ceiling, but also a lower floor, and obviously less job security. I feel trapped because my lifestyle has adapted to my current salary, and not sure if I want to take a chance at it going lower with the goal of it eventually going a lot higher.

Don't take experience for granted. But gain experience in something worthwhile yet unique. Years of creative managing and taking on projects have provided me with some unique pharmacy knowledge that's valuable to many different organizations. Side consulting gig has grown to where I can't manage all new business while keeping a real FT job. Had to bring on 2 partners. 5 consults next month that I can't fulfill.

it is true - almost like factory work (but better money). I actually feel kinda trapped. I might have the opportunity to get into industry work, which has a much higher ceiling, but also a lower floor, and obviously less job security. I feel trapped because my lifestyle has adapted to my current salary, and not sure if I want to take a chance at it going lower with the goal of it eventually going a lot higher.

I just had my 10 year anniversary of graduating school - I have had four jobs - first was retail for 6 months, then a small hospital for a year, then a year in crappy retail overnight shifts, now been in a nice hospital for 7 years. I am in the "eh" stage, I have a good job, every now and then I feel I like I add a bit to patient care and make a difference, but most of the time I just feel like I am treading water. I would love to get into a field where I have a sense of accomplishment, but I don't see it happening. I only put in 40 hours, get paid well, and always look forward to travel outside of work

Do you think being a physician would give better sense of accomplishment because you are in charge of therapy ? I would feel accomplished and satisfied when i contributed and made a difference. In school, we are taught cases and I feel that there is this gap in knowledge of what's really going on in the patient. We do little bit of diagnosis followed by care plan and I end up feeling stuck between half diagnostician/half drug therapist. It's hard to describe. I guess I wanna do it all but then again grass is greener on the other side. Hopefully this changes when I hit rotations.

This is a great topic that I can definitely relate to. I've only been working for 9 months (recent grad working for walmart) and I'm already wondering if I can do this job for the rest of my life. I consider myself to be lucky working for Wal-mart and for a great store, yet it is still stressful (training my newer staff and dealing with unreasonable and idiotic customers). I'm not sure I can deal with this stress when I'm older (50+). I also feel like I'm wasting away my hard earned education. I performed very well in pharmacy school and I feel like I'm wasting my training and expertise every time I have to check out a customer buying milk. I estimate that I'm only using about 10-20% of my pharmD education. Again, I feel grateful that I landed a job with Walmart (one of the best chains to work for, imo) and to work at a great store....but I have definitely been thinking about pursuing a more clinical job. If I could start over...I would choose MD instead.

Do you think being a physician would give better sense of accomplishment because you are in charge of therapy ? I would feel accomplished and satisfied when i contributed and made a difference. In school, we are taught cases and I feel that there is this gap in knowledge of what's really going on in the patient. We do little bit of diagnosis followed by care plan and I end up feeling stuck between half diagnostician/half drug therapist. It's hard to describe. I guess I wanna do it all but then again grass is greener on the other side. Hopefully this changes when I hit rotations.
eh - maybe I would - but MD is not also the brightest outlook - all my MD friends put in 60-80 hours a week, not worth the hassle.

For the walmart guy - I have a feeling that 90% of people in retail feel the same way you do.

I honestly think I should go run a bar in the islands somewhere and just not care ;-)

15 years in....trying to survive!

eh - maybe I would - but MD is not also the brightest outlook - all my MD friends put in 60-80 hours a week, not worth the hassle.

For the walmart guy - I have a feeling that 90% of people in retail feel the same way you do.

I honestly think I should go run a bar in the islands somewhere and just not care ;-)
I'm in. Trinidad?