Any SAHM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeMommy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any SAHM trying to get into medicine? I just turned 35 and have 2 kids - 4 & 6 yr old. I am currently a licensed real estate agent. I am an undergraduate Zoology major and a Comp Sci Masters. I would really like to connect with other SAHM(I work part time) & would like to know how they are going about pursuing their dream. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I was a SAHM until recently. I did a master's online so I could stay home with my babies, but had to start working once the economic deferral for my student loans ran out. I'm currently waitlisted @ my state school. it took me about 10 years to get to this point. I think one thing that might have hurt my app was my lack of volunteer work due. are you applying this cycle?

I am a SAHM. I was home for 4 yrs after my oldest was born. I went back to school 3 yrs ago when my boys were 2 and 4 to take post bacc classes, my kids went into daycare 2 days/week at this point. I've been home again with my 5 yr old this whole year while I applied. I did as well as can be expected, 3 DO acceptances and an interview at my state MD school where I was ultimately rejected. I am starting in the fall. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another SAHM mom here as well. I am currently 33 and I have a dual degree in Finance and Economics but I have been home for NINE years. My kiddos are almost 7 & 8.5 and think it is SOOO cool that I will be in school too. LOL

At this point, it just made sense to go back to school before going back to work. I have just been out WAY to long. Since I am going back anyway, why not do something I am passionate about?? I started college as a pre-med and then met my husband soph. year. Convinced I could not have a family and medicine, I changed majors. Lucky for me, he is very supportive... After reading these boards, and seeing I won't be the only 30 something in school, I decided to take my shot.

I am starting with 2 summer courses next month to get my feet wet before I start full-time in the fall. I am SOOO excited. Good-luck to us all!!

Wow! It is pretty encouraging to see SAHMs jumping back to the bandwagon! Cheers and best luck to us all! Thanks for replying ladies :):)

There's a girl in my class that was a SAHM for several years. She has two schoolage kids. As far as I can tell, she is doing very well. Kudos to the moms that are pushing themselves to do med school! I can't imagine doing school and taking care of children but I'm seeing it done. It's a long haul, but I think the example you guys set for your kids is great. :)