Any SLP Master's applicants here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RemiJP

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to have some buddies who going through the application process right now. Respond here or PM me!

:)

Members don't see this ad.

It would be nice to have some buddies who going through the application process right now. Respond here or PM me!

:)

I guess I sort of count. I'm in my last semester of grad school, but the application process is still fresh in my head (1.5 years ago). It was pretty time consuming.

I'm in a more medically inclined program. The whole thing (classes/interships/externships) made me about 90% certain that I'm going to apply to med school in the near future after I graduate.

I'm finishing up my applications for Masters SLP programs. I've applied to 12 schools. Yikes! When do you think we will start hearing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to six (narrowed it down from 12!). MGH Institute is the one I'm expecting to hear from first, in about 2 weeks!

I thought about applying to MGH but instead I applied to Emerson. I have an interview at Georgia State on the 22nd. It's the only place I've heard from so far. Are you expecting that most places will interview? Where else did you apply?

From what I could tell from the application instructions, none of the schools I applied to hold interviews. I visited MGH in the fall and I'm at Emerson every day so I know for certain that those two don't!

The schools I applied to are:
Wisconsin-Madison
SF State
Sacramento State
UW-Seattle
Emerson
MGH

What schools did you apply to?

Georgia State
Emerson
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Indiana University
NYU
George Washington
Louisville
Loyola College
Temple
Case Western

What are you at Emerson for? It seems like a great place. What are your impressions?

I'm a Comm. Sciences and Disorders major. I've really enjoyed it. What areas of the field are you most interested in? While we have faculty members who specialize in a wide range of populations/disorders, I think some areas are stronger than others.

One of my classmates was accepted to GW's program this week, so if you haven't heard yet, be on the look out!

Hello! I will be starting at Teachers College in the fall! I was an undergrad at NYU (Spanish Linguistics not Speech Science), then went to get my masters in Spanish at NYU in Madrid, dropped out, then contemplated forever over what to do with my life, decided on SLP, got accepted to Teachers College for Fall '07, decided to defer for a year, currently taking some of the pre-reqs at Temple. I've researched A LOT of programs and have talked to a lot of people. I must say, Temple's program is EXCELLENT. The faculty and students are amazing. Highlights include plenty of places to do practica, bilingual Spanish program, very good neuro program (and getting better), transgendered speech opportunities... Feel free to send me a private message. I love talking to other SLP students.

I was a psychology major in college and for the past two years I've been working at a school for kids with language-based learning disabilities. I want to concentrate on language disorders and learning disabilities. I'm also really interested in social pragmatics. I chose programs where I would be able to take the pre-requisites after being accepted since I haven't done most of them yet. How do you think my interests will fit with Emerson?

Thanks for the heads up on GW. I'm excited to start hearing!

Your interests would fit perfectly! The on-campus clinic has mostly pediatric clients with language disorders. There are also language therapy toddler groups that meet a bunch of times throughout the week with an awesome clinician from Children's Hospital.

I'm not applying until the fall, but could somebody give me an idea of how competitive these programs are? I can't figure it out at all. Northwestern, my top choice by far, looks like a really highly ranked program but their website says they have a 40-50% acceptance rate! Is it like this everywhere? My other choices are Emerson, MGH, Loyola, Northeastern, and BU, and while my liberal arts undergrad is great for bio majors if you're doing med school or research, nobody seems to know much about SLP. I have pretty good numbers (3.67 GPA, 730V/790Q/6A GRE), average ECs (volunteering, tutoring, etc., nothing special), and probably average LORs, but I don't even know what the programs are really looking for.

Any help would be much appreciated. And I'm very interested in everyone's progress!

Members don't see this ad :)
Northwestern is a big puzzle to me! They have a high acceptance rate, but I've always heard it's really competitive, too! Most schools I know of have about a 40%-50% rate of acceptance. Your stats are great, so I guess you all you'll need to worry about is explaining why you want to be an SLP in your personal statement!

Even though I have friends who have gone onto Master's SLP programs and have spoken to many professors about what kind of candidates they look for it's hard for me to understand why people get in and why people get rejected! At least at Emerson, it seems like half the class is made up of people who came from other fields, so I'm not even sure that majoring in SLP as an undergrad makes a difference!

Has anyone applied to Florida schools or NYU for SLP masters programs? If so has anyone heard back yet?

I applied to the University of Florida and the University of South Florida, but have yet to hear back from either of them.....

I applied to NYU but haven't head back. I know someone who applied to FL. but she hasn't heard back either.

I got rejected from Vanderbilt yesterday BUT got accepted to Emerson! :D

Anyone else have updates?

I got into MGH! It feels so good to have been accepted somewhere!

Congratulations, Abslp and RemiJP! I am wondering, if either of you know how Emerson handles their acceptances/rejections? Do they send all their letters out at once or one at a time? Is each decision made on an individual basis, or compared to each other based on a number of openings? Has any one gotten rejection letters from there?

Congratulations, Abslp and RemiJP! I am wondering, if either of you know how Emerson handles their acceptances/rejections? Do they send all their letters out at once or one at a time? Is each decision made on an individual basis, or compared to each other based on a number of openings? Has any one gotten rejection letters from there?

I don't know about rejections but I'm pretty sure Emerson hands out acceptances in waves. Some of my friends already got in and I know that last week, my file was had just arrived in the CSD dept. offices. My feeling is that if you haven't heard from Emerson yet, there's still hope!

just a little heads up. don't know how many of you know this, but NYU has add more course work to its SLP degree. this extends the time in school from 2 1/2 to about 3-3 1/2 yrs

I'm a Comm. Sciences and Disorders major. I've really enjoyed it. What areas of the field are you most interested in? While we have faculty members who specialize in a wide range of populations/disorders, I think some areas are stronger than others.

One of my classmates was accepted to GW's program this week, so if you haven't heard yet, be on the look out!

I finally heard back from GW and I got in! Also got an interview at Loyola. Anyone know what that process is like? Is it a phone interview? I'm not sure I can make the trip out there (unless they are willing to fly me out) so I hope it's over the phone. Anyone know about this program?

Does anyone know how difficult it is to get into the CSU Northridge SLP program? What GPA/GRE scores generally look like? Any info would help, thanks :)

I went to visit MGH again today and I really enjoyed it. I was excited to hear that they will be expanding their clinic, it's pretty small at this point.

I will be going to the accepted students days at UW-Madison on April 5th and the Emerson one next weekend. If any of you plan to go either of these let me know! :)

Wow, RemiJP, that sounds really great. I just want to know if you know, is Emerson now finished sending out acceptances?

The grad director told me that she received 70 application from the grad studies office to review on Monday morning and I believe they were completed by the end of the day. My letter arrived today and it was dated Thurs 3/15. As far as I know that was the last batch of letters to go out.

My letter from Emerson arrived today. I am on the wait list.

I got rejected from Sacramento State! :eek:

While I'm more than happy about the program's I've been accepted to, it still stings!

Has anyone heard back from NYU or USF? Did anyone apply to FSU?

I went to visit MGH again today and I really enjoyed it. I was excited to hear that they will be expanding their clinic, it's pretty small at this point.

I will be going to the accepted students days at UW-Madison on April 5th and the Emerson one next weekend. If any of you plan to go either of these let me know! :)

Congratulations on your acceptances!!! This wait is killing me! Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to make it to the open house at Emerson. I really wish I could go so I could check out the school and meet the faculty and students but it's just not going to work out. I may try to come in early April. Hopefully I will be hearing back from the rest of my schools before the 15th otherwise I'm for sure going to Emerson. I'll be sure to update.

So I've gotten into Emerson and MGH. I went to MGH's Open House recently and really liked the faculty a lot. I'm still waiting for Emerson's Open House on the 3/29. Remi - what are your top choices? I'm having such a hard time choosing. Hopefully Emerson's Open House on 3/29 will make things a bit more clear for me. Have you worked with Prof. Wilkinson at all? I can't decide which is a better fit for me just yet! Any help would be appreciated! thanks.

So I've gotten into Emerson and MGH. I went to MGH's Open House recently and really liked the faculty a lot. I'm still waiting for Emerson's Open House on the 3/29. Remi - what are your top choices? I'm having such a hard time choosing. Hopefully Emerson's Open House on 3/29 will make things a bit more clear for me. Have you worked with Prof. Wilkinson at all? I can't decide which is a better fit for me just yet! Any help would be appreciated! thanks.

To me, Emerson and MGH are pretty different. While Emerson does place students in hospital settings, MGH seems to have priority. But Emerson is really well-respected by schools and EI centers. Emerson's clinic is bigger physically, and I'm guessing they see more clients than MGH. Afterall, MGH has their students double-up on clients. I see the advantages to this, but it makes me think that the don't have as many clients.

If you want to work with the 0-3 population, Emerson is probably the right place because they have quite a few toddler groups and even an infant one! As far as I could tell, MGH doesn't have any 0-3 groups at their on-campus clinic.

Also, a big difference between MGH and Emerson is who is teaching the courses. Emerson is a more traditional program, with tenured professors actively doing research. But MGH has professors who are still working in the field AND doing research at a teaching hospital! A few of the instructors at MGH teach at Emerson, too (Kara Fletcher and Anthony Bashir). The reading and writing aspect of MGH is really unique.

I think it really depends on what you see yourself doing after graduation and then determining which place will help you get there.

I know Dr. Wilkinson really well, she's my thesis advisor! Are you interested in AAC?

I'm really leaning towards MGH, but I still need to visit UW-Madison on 4/5.