Any teachers here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lombax

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious to know if there were any other teachers here that will be applying in the near future.

A few questions that come to mind are…..

Does anyone at your school know that you are planning on leaving? I'm a first year high school teacher and have built a great relationship with my coworkers and principal in a rather small school. I'm afraid they won't take too well to the news that I'm leaving. So I'm concerned about being able to get letters of recommendation. Any of you considering asking the principal for a LOR (from the point of view of an employer) ?

I'm also in a teaching certification program which will finish before the summer. Has anyone asked someone from their credentialing/M.A.T program for a LOR?

I'm thinking about doing this for one year only and finding something medically related during the application year. As much as I have enjoyed teaching, I find myself missing (more than I expected) the research and the healthcare setting. Anyone else have experience with having various jobs in a relatively short period of time (two years) that are quite unrelated?

Thanks for reading... Any replies would be much appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I taught before going to medical school. However, it was high school science, and I had let everyone know my intentions to go into medical research (and teaching after I finish school). I think it's a little different for MD/PhD (we usually only have letters from research mentors and possibly an MD), but, had I needed one from work, I would have asked for a letter detailing my abilities as a teacher, as doctors must effectively teach their patients about disease management... You aren't truly leaving the field of teaching, even if you're going into clinical practice :)

I am a 3rd year chemistry teacher, and I asked my assistant principal for a LOR. I am in a bit of an easier situation, because I teach at a medical magnet school, so even though they weren't happy with the idea of losing me, they seemed very positive about my idea to go to med school.

Also, it's important to know that administrators hear this type of thing all the time (I want to take pre-med/pre-vet/pre-whatever classes), however not many people follow through on it.

I planned my pre-med work out where I would have a few years teaching experience before applying, and for my 1st year of work I just tried to be as indispensible to the school as possible. I volunteered to run math team, plan field trips, served on 50 million committees, and it seems to have worked. My admins couldn't say that I was shunning my job for other things, and I've noticed that went a long way when asking for a recommendation. I also did not let anyone know I was working on med school until my 2nd year teaching. This was a personal choice.

I don't believe a letter from a teacher training program would be at all necessary. Sometimes schools ask for advisors/boss letters for non-trads, and that's why I submitted one from my assistant principal.

My suggestion is to be careful of this as a 1st year teacher. You don't want to be too enthusiastic about leaving at the beginning, or they may decide they don't want you anymore at the end of the year, even if you've decided to stay.

Good luck with this! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies.

I hear you about being indispensable to the school. I've been doing that for the past few months with a variety of programs. That's sort of why I am concerned about somewhat leaving this particular school.

I was just wondering.. It wouldn't be expected of me to provide a LOR from an employer, would it? I just don't want to cut off ties with the school, have hurt feelings, putting it behind me, believing I didn't need a LOR, but then come to find.. it would be necessary to provide schools one from an employer. I suppose only some schools require it anyway.

Oh and I definitely agree with the skill set transferring over easily. It's been a great year so far. I've truly enjoyed the experience thus far. I just went into the job knowing I would be applying to medical school within the following year.

I am a teacher as well. I teach Biology and Anatomy & Physiology labs at a community college. I love my job but when asked by my students, "Have you always wanted to be a teacher?", I tell them no and that I want to go to medical school.

Does anyone at your school know that you are planning on leaving?
My fellow instructors and students know my dreams of medical school, but I don't plan on leaving unless I get accepted. Teaching is my backup plan.

Best wishes to all the fellow teachers out there!!! I plan on applying to medical school this summer. What about everyone else?

I'm applying this summer as well.