Any thoughts on MUSC-Charleston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on MUSC?...considering a rotation here and would love to be in Charleston, but my only concern is the competitiveness of the program/application. It seems like they have traditionally been accepting 3 people, 1 from MUSC, and 2 non-MUSC people who are AOA studs. Heck it even takes a 250 minimum cutoff Step I score to rotate there.

-Does a rotation guarantee an interview?
-Do they like heavy research candidates?

Love the southeast, and ultimately, I'm debating between MUSC and two other lesser known programs (both which basically guarantee all its rotators interviews/have taken non-AOA candidates)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't rotate there, but I did interview there and I am not from the region. I thought it was a very good program. It can only get better now that Dirk is taking over there.

Guess I can't be up too much help with regards to your other questions.

I rotated there and I can tell you that a rotation there does not guarantee and interview…I interviewed there, but I know someone who rotated there and did not get one. They recently changed chairs so this may have changed. I really don't remember much about the research but just to let you know, I had about 4 papers and a couple abstracts and posters

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed here in 2012. It was a fine program but a bit small for my taste. Not very academic from the feel and the residents did not seem like they had a lot of work to do or things to see. One of the wives told me that her husband, a resident at MUSC, rarely worked more than 30 hours a week. While this is appealing to some, it does make me wonder about exposure and culture. All the residents were also very, very, southern and white which to me is a huge turn off. Most also went into private practice. Depends on what you like. Any derm program is a good one.

One of my med school friends rotated here and did not get an interivew while I did not rotate and did.

I interviewed here in 2012. It was a fine program but a bit small for my taste. Not very academic from the feel and the residents did not seem like they had a lot of work to do or things to see. One of the wives told me that her husband, a resident at MUSC, rarely worked more than 30 hours a week. While this is appealing to some, it does make me wonder about exposure and culture. All the residents were also very, very, southern and white which to me is a huge turn off. Most also went into private practice. Depends on what you like. Any derm program is a good one.

One of my med school friends rotated here and did not get an interivew while I did not rotate and did.

Yes, there are few things worse than southern and white. Total yuckballz.

Anyway....

MUSC is a fine institution with some excellent faculty... and theee is precious little to not like about Charleston.