Anybody wanna say something encouraging about Barry pod school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nttJ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
everything i have read so far seems pretty negative towards Barry in general. I just got accepted to Barry, and still waiting to hear from scholl and temple. pretty poor gpa overall and science, but killer mcat score is keeping me afloat.

so far its all Barry bashing here on SDN; chalk it up to trolling or pissed off students who are trying to blame profs/administration for failing. Im sure this happens at all professional schools, but all the other pod schools have a lot of positive reviews and Barry has pretty much nothing...

everyone says keep Barry last on your list.
I'd appreciate if current students or anyone who knows what they're talking about could weigh in on the matter (and not just repeat the same stuff that get said).

Members don't see this ad.

When I apply next time around it will be my 2nd choice behind Kent State.
One positive is that it is in Miami and you probably would like the weather in Florida.
The podiatrist I have known since 8th grade went to Barry and he is still great friends with the current Dean. I have heard that the Deans are really good people. That is the only thing I know of Barry at the moment.

Reactions: 1 user
Every few months the same person (possibly the OP) shows up and posts some variation of "All I hear are bad things about Barry". No one is talking about Barry. I've never read anyone say "keep Barry last on your list". They don't have a real presence on this forum. I don't go to Barry. If someone has something to directly say about Barry then say it. Otherwise this subtle backhanded suggestion crap is pathetic.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one is talking about Barry. I don't go to Barry. If someone has something to directly say about Barry then say it.

Number one, i am talking about Barry. Number two, you neither go to Barry nor are you informed at all on the subject of my initial post-why are you commenting here a$$clown?

I made a post to hopefully get a little insight from an informed individual beyond what i already know, not hear some stupid ish from the likes of you.

I interviewed there, and haven't been accepted (yet, hopefully). But I was impressed with the amount of clinical opportunities in the community and the fact that the faculty is working at creating and has created residency opportunities for Barry graduates. I also know a student attending Barry, and I haven't heard any complaints. Hopefully that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
I am interviewing within the month, and I could not be more excited. Do a little research into the school and it is obvious that one person has managed to run a smear campaign against Barry on this website. Personally, I am interested in the Sports Medicine Fellowship down the line, the great location relative to where I live, the success rate of many of the graduates and the community outreach that the school does. Don't take someones opinion on a a forum as fact.

Barry University is the best Podiatry school.

The dean should be disappointed in this school. The again, he is too busy spending time in Colorado to pay attention to Barry. Interview day there just left me thinking a student only goes here if nobody else takes them. It seems like we had the undergrads of Barry meet us instead of graduate level podiatry students. Student after student... they only talk about how great the weather is as to why they like Barry and went to school there. They have nothing else or better to say. And even if we consider the great location and weather of Miami... remember its not that close to Miami Beach. Its in a bad neighborhood as the campus building itself looks old. Worst of all is the tour guide Amy: HORRIBLE personality to represent the school. All Amy does is talk about eating to the point one of the other interviewees called her a fat whale behind her back. Some of the students on the way to class made fat jokes about her. Professor Sesodia doesn't come across as a great interviewer or make you feel like he is a great mentor. He comes across as a rude stern strict tough guy. Alot of other posts on this forum on here about him... dead on statement. Sesodia just rubs people the wrong way.

If the school is that bad with its administration and faculty... leadership... its no surprise when you see current Barry students during your vist fail to impress/inspire you regarding the profession of podiatry itself. Barry doesn't have people you want to work with.

Proud to say I picked another school over Barry... but hey if weather is more important that becoming a great practitioner of podiatry... you'll fit right in.

Last edited:
All I see in the above comment is personal attacks and slander without any facts or statistics backing this up. I get that it is simply an opinion, but it is one about an academic institution based on personal thoughts that are largely rude and uncalled for. I have no horse in this race, but I would like to see meaningful discussion about the school and not personal attacks.

All I see in the above comment: Thank you for joining us Amy/Sanjay

I usually don't take these types of threads seriously since they usually come from either someone that refuses to take responsibility for their own failure in the program and ends up blaming everything and everyone but themselves, or people that aren't even in the program...so why hold their strong opinions even credible? However, I found E E Smith's derogatory remarks about the school administration completely out of line and unprofessional. It's ironic that E E Smith should say that Barry doesn't have people you want to work with, but with the sort of attitude and personality this person is showing I am relieved this person chose another school! So for anyone else that has unwarranted insults to say, learn about professionalism and karma...it'll get you far, especially in a medical profession.

I usually don't take these types of threads seriously since they usually come from either someone that refuses to take responsibility for their own failure in the program and ends up blaming everything and everyone but themselves, or people that aren't even in the program...so why hold their strong opinions even credible? However, I found E E Smith's derogatory remarks about the school administration completely out of line and unprofessional. It's ironic that E E Smith should say that Barry doesn't have people you want to work with, but with the sort of attitude and personality this person is showing I am relieved this person chose another school! So for anyone else that has unwarranted insults to say, learn about professionalism and karma...it'll get you far, especially in a medical profession.

Would you care to share your experience at Barry so far? i am interested in hearing someones objective testimonial...

My experiences at Barry have been good so far. It's definitely a demanding program and you're expected to put a lot of work and effort into it, but I'm pretty sure any other podiatry or medical school is the same way. I found all professors in the basic sciences ok so far and haven't really experienced any issues, other than adjusting at the beginning of the program to the pace and volume of information thrown at me. Some professors are more difficult than others and their teaching styles differ, so some classes will be easier for you than others, but they all have office hours and are willing to help you out if you're struggling. Much of it is independent studying and so long as you manage your time right and have good work ethic you'll be fine. As for the clinical years I am not there yet, but many clinical instructors are well known and respected in the podiatry field so I never heard any complaints from the 3rd year students except for the brutal hours (again, common among all podiatry schools).

GL with whatever program you choose to attend!

Reactions: 1 users
The dean should be disappointed in this school. The again, he is too busy spending time in Colorado to pay attention to Barry. Interview day there just left me thinking a student only goes here if nobody else takes them. It seems like we had the undergrads of Barry meet us instead of graduate level podiatry students. Student after student... they only talk about how great the weather is as to why they like Barry and went to school there. They have nothing else or better to say. And even if we consider the great location and weather of Miami... remember its not that close to Miami Beach. Its in a bad neighborhood as the campus building itself looks old. Worst of all is the tour guide Amy: HORRIBLE personality to represent the school. All Amy does is talk about eating to the point one of the other interviewees called her a fat whale behind her back. Some of the students on the way to class made fat jokes about her. Professor Sesodia doesn't come across as a great interviewer or make you feel like he is a great mentor. He comes across as a rude stern strict tough guy. Alot of other posts on this forum on here about him... dead on statement. Sesodia just rubs people the wrong way.

If the school is that bad with its administration and faculty... leadership... its no surprise when you see current Barry students during your vist fail to impress/inspire you regarding the profession of podiatry itself. Barry doesn't have people you want to work with.

Proud to say I picked another school over Barry... but hey if weather is more important that becoming a great practitioner of podiatry... you'll fit right in.

I am new to these forums, although I have been reading them for some time. Having seen your negativity towards the Barry program in general, and most importantly your unwarranted derogatory and offensive comments in reference to Amy, I would have to agree pod87. It is great news that you are not a part of that program. There is no place for such a negative and offensive person. To portray Amy as someone who is incompetent to present the school, is utterly ridiculous. She is always willing to help the students out, and go out other way to be of help. And while you did not state that you were the one insulting Amy's appearance, you obviously felt the right to insult her by referencing her in the manner you did in this forum.

At any rate, I do not take offense to you disliking a program or even stating, in a mature manner, what you dislike. I just think you need to be a better human being and grow up a little.