Anyone driving far to test centre?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

~CDN Pre-med~

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live about 40 minutes from the test centre (closest test centre) and was considering staying at a relative to avoid feeling drained before the test even starts.

The thing is...I feel much more comfortable at home and would not want to disturb my relatives by waking up early and getting breakfast etc etc. But the good thing is is that the drive would be about 10 minutes (max) as opposed to 40 minutes.

It seems like a no-brainer...but really feel much better if I sleep in my own bed...

Members don't see this ad.

Same here. Im driving around 45minutes to the testing center. One of my friends lives right across the street from the place however I much rather sleep in my own bed. I will be arriving at the testing center at around 6:45am. Im leaving so early because knowing my luck my car will break down or something dumb like some old lady will rear end me and it will hold me up.

~CDN Pre-med~ said:
I live about 40 minutes from the test centre (closest test centre) and was considering staying at a relative to avoid feeling drained before the test even starts.

The thing is...I feel much more comfortable at home and would not want to disturb my relatives by waking up early and getting breakfast etc etc. But the good thing is is that the drive would be about 10 minutes (max) as opposed to 40 minutes.

It seems like a no-brainer...but really feel much better if I sleep in my own bed...

i'm going to be drviing to the test center which is also abt 40 minutes away. for the april exam, i stayed in a hotel close to the center, and it was the worst experience let me tell you. i couldn't sleep all night because the people right next to us were gettin it on (yeah it was so obvious), and people walking in the halls just wasn't helping me to fall asleep. during the verbal section on the april test, i was yawning like no other, and trust me that's the worst thing, esp. during the verbal. to me it's worth it to sleep in the comfort of my own home, and wake up early and drive. i'm just going to wake up at 6 a.m. these next few days to get my brain trained for saturday, it's not so bad waking up early if you've been doing it for a few days straight. Best of luck to you this Saturday. I hope it goes well for ya.

Last year..the test centre I wrote at was at my university and I had a place just 10 minutes from campus. I was totally refreshed and walked to the test centre...probably the best situation.

So I'm a little nervous about driving there and getting tired...

I guess I will end up driving, for comfort!

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i'm about 30 min away from my test center too but my mom's driving me 'cause i have the WORST sense of direction and will most likely get lost if i drove there myself. i feel like such a little kid getting a ride from my mom though

mandy_848 said:
yeah i'm about 30 min away from my test center too but my mom's driving me 'cause i have the WORST sense of direction and will most likely get lost if i drove there myself. i feel like such a little kid getting a ride from my mom though

Im getting a ride from my pops. I think it will be good for me because driving is the last thing I'd like to think about. Its just one less variable that I have to think or be concerned about. So in that case :thumbup:

adiddas125 said:
Im getting a ride from my pops. I think it will be good for me because driving is the last thing I'd like to think about. Its just one less variable that I have to think or be concerned about. So in that case :thumbup:

yeah i was trying to avoid it just 'cause i don't want her to pick me up and ask me how it went. but i figure that's going to be an unavoidable question anyways

I'm driving two hours this Thursday and living the high-life in motel 6 for thursday night, for the dry run, and if all goes well, I'll stay there Fri night, too.

Did someone say they were going ot be at the test center at 645 in the morning?

I thought we were supposed to be there at 8am. I was planning on leaving my house at about 7:40 or so (15 minute drive). Am I mistaken? Is 8 am too late? How early should I arrive?

Khanal007 said:
Did someone say they were going ot be at the test center at 645 in the morning?
They said they have a crappy car and will run over an old lady on the way, so that'll take some extra time. I'm stealing my sister's dependable car and will arrive 8am or a tiny bit after, old lady or not. :D

I think I'll make my 40 minute drive 30 minutes...its a saturday morning so there should be no cars at 7am...lol :)

~CDN Pre-med~ said:
I think I'll make my 40 minute drive 30 minutes...its a saturday morning so there should be no cars at 7am...lol :)

I'm taking about a 30-40 minute drive into the city...luckily I did a test run before hand, and finished up the whole getting lost and finding directions thing now rather than test day.

I think it's a nobrainer - you should get sleep in your own bed and not change anything test day.

NapeSpikes said:
They said they have a crappy car and will run over an old lady on the way, so that'll take some extra time. I'm stealing my sister's dependable car and will arrive 8am or a tiny bit after, old lady or not. :D

LMAO!! hey now, its a 98 bravada however the fuel pump is winding out so it could go any day now. And ill only run over the old lady if she get between me and the mcat! but yes, i will be there at around 6:45. I am leaving my house at around 6am so incase anything goes wrong i still have time to make adjustments. I will then sit down outside the testing room, eat a banana and a granola bar, look over some PS stuff and pray.

gotgame83 said:
LMAO!! hey now, its a 98 bravada however the fuel pump is winding out so it could go any day now. And ill only run over the old lady if she get between me and the mcat! but yes, i will be there at around 6:45. I am leaving my house at around 6am so incase anything goes wrong i still have time to make adjustments. I will then sit down outside the testing room, eat a banana and a granola bar, look over some PS stuff and pray.
:laugh:

~CDN Pre-med~ said:

I am driving an 90 minutes to the test center at my undergrad institution. I have a test center slightly closer (60 minutes away), but I thought I would be better off going to the school I know. I know where to park, where the bathrooms are, what the test center and conditions are like, etc.

I also want to sleep in my own bed, although I considered staying in a hotel or with friends the night before. I just didn't want to chance being uncomfortable all night. I will be staying the night after the test in a hotel courtesy of my SO, so we can celebrate with a mini-vacation until Monday morning!

You will probably be ok if you fix your sleep schedule starting like right now. If you get used to sleeping at 10 and waking up at 6, I think you'd have plenty of time to make it to the test center. In fact, you might even have an edge. I'm usually the most sleepy during the first hour or two of being awake.

Sondra said:
I am driving an 90 minutes to the test center at my undergrad institution. I have a test center slightly closer (60 minutes away), but I thought I would be better off going to the school I know. I know where to park, where the bathrooms are, what the test center and conditions are like, etc.

I also want to sleep in my own bed, although I considered staying in a hotel or with friends the night before. I just didn't want to chance being uncomfortable all night. I will be staying the night after the test in a hotel courtesy of my SO, so we can celebrate with a mini-vacation until Monday morning!

Sondra, I'm doing the same...but driving 2 HOURS (on Friday...not saturday morning!!! not that crazy) so I'm able to take it at my undergrad school.

My city doesn't offer the MCAT here...and judging by the very few number of people i've seen actually studying for the mcat at the university's library here, no one wants to be a doctor here!

I was over an hour from my testing center and it wasn't a big deal. Remember that you're driving there at like 7 on a saturday so there is zero traffic. I was doing 90 down the interstate and got there early.

But do make the effort to get on a good sleep schedule. I made the mistake of not doing so and ended up getting 3.5 hours of sleep before the mcats. Adrenalin still pulled me through OK, but I seriously wanted to crawl into a hole and die during the lunch break. :p

well ive been up for the last 30minutes. God im tired. I hate waking up before 6am... i havent done this since highschool

Why is no one else awake?! Im the only one on the forums right now. I mean im sure your all getting used to waking up early. Most people dont have work at this hour. Theres no way your significant other is keeping you "preoccupied" because its too damn early lol. Sorry, now im just littering this thread with my own ramble because im tired and trying to stay awake.

lol...I was up early as well today to train myself for Saturday. I've been up since 6am but decided to run to get my energy going for the morning ;)