Anyone else considering DO over MD given the AAMC response this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cw638343

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else in the same boat with trying to time their MD/DO applications appropriately? Thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Literally not one person is going to tell you to do DO over MD. Regardless of how you feel about the AAMC response to COVID.
None of the world handled it well so I wouldn’t be too picky about looking for companies or schools whose response you approve of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Like the above poster stated, nobody handled it well. I'm not exactly sure that students are exactly raving about AACOMAS, COCA or NBOME's response to COVID either, and they didn't have to deal with the administration/followthrough with arguably one of most well known tests in the country (ie. MCAT).

I had everything lined up and ready to apply for MD programs first and then planned to wait a few weeks and apply to several DO programs. However, the AAMC has not received or processed my transcripts as expected and it looks like it may be a while before they do so. The ONLY thing holding up my application verification is AAMC processing the transcripts.

This along with several other shortcomings with the AAMC has me seriously reconsidering my MD path- DO was my second choice however, my AACOMAS has already received and processed my transcripts and the application is ready to go. I am really impressed with AACOMAS.

Anyone else in the same boat with trying to time their MD/DO applications appropriately? Issues with the AAMC have really delayed everything and I am frankly discouraged with their application process. Thoughts??
You should apply to DO if your stats are at median for MD or less.

Reactions: 1 users
Issues with the AAMC have really delayed everything and I am frankly discouraged with their application process. Thoughts??
If this is sufficient to discourage you, you are in for a rough ride (with either degree!).
I am the AAMC's chief critic but I don't let that keep me from the work I cherish.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
If this is sufficient to discourage you, you are in for a rough ride (with either degree!).
I am the AAMC's chief critic but I don't let that keep me from the work I cherish.

haha true.. I guess I just found the ease of dealing with AACOMAS to be much easier. Not sure if thats some sort of foreshadowing? I am a non traditional student so there's a lot to learn about this realm.

NBOME is even worse at advocating for the interests of students.

NBME cancelled Step 2 Clinical Skills because it was a ridiculous exam that everyone hates and because Coronavirus made travel difficult.

Because DOs 'DO it better' (taking a 400 question exam in 8 hours instead of a 280 question exam!) the COMLEX PE is back on in July.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Every aspect of training and a career in medicine is a constant uphill trudge through muddy brown crap. So much bureaucracy, red tape, oversight - it will always seem like the system is out to get you. The AAMC, NRMP, USLME, NBME will squeeze your wallet constantly and every step of the way from applying to med school, board exams, mandatory classes, subjective evals, getting crapped on during rounds, STEP exams, applying to residency, licensing and beyond is filled with so much BS that if this is discouraging you, you’re in for a rude awakening lol.

Thank you all for the perspective! Should be a fun ride from here on out... I guess it just good to know that every path is equally obnoxious.

Not really inclined to divulge publically where I attend. I like the school I attend a lot. I've felt I've gotten a good education and faculty and administration are generally very nice. I certainly don't regret my choice.

You really need to figure out how you learn best and see if the school fits your style. For me, I like watching recorded lectures in the privacy of my home and doing things at my own pace. Maybe that's right for you or maybe you'd be really into some discussion based PBL format. I did not want to deal with putting on a show at this stage.

I wouldn't go DO because AMCAS sucks. MD offers way more opportunities. The DO path is ideal if:

1) you are a borderline MD student. The "3.5/510" sorts who are not quite good enough but who worked too hard to risk an SMP, or your first cycle had bad results.

2) you were a poor student and are going the "redemption" path.

3) you are interested in OMM for some reason.

Not really inclined to divulge publically where I attend. I like the school I attend a lot. I've felt I've gotten a good education and faculty and administration are generally very nice. I certainly don't regret my choice.

You really need to figure out how you learn best and see if the school fits your style. For me, I like watching recorded lectures in the privacy of my home and doing things at my own pace. Maybe that's right for you or maybe you'd be really into some discussion based PBL format. I did not want to deal with putting on a show at this stage.

I wouldn't go DO because AMCAS sucks. MD offers way more opportunities. The DO path is ideal if:

1) you are a borderline MD student. The "3.5/510" sorts who are not quite good enough but who worked too hard to risk an SMP, or your first cycle had bad results.

2) you were a poor student and are going the "redemption" path.

3) you are interested in OMM for some reason.
4) Geography and life issues necessitate sticking close to home and thus the nearby DO school.

Reactions: 1 users