Anyone else feeling happy the chains in certain areas are desperate for employees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That does not answer the question.Why now?
Because it’s gotten significantly worst in the last year. Working conditions got worst after covid and exponentially worst the covid vaccine was released.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty much every store I go to has either entirely new staff and few remaining familiar faces have been shuffled around SIGNIFICANTLY (including myself, many switching districts entirely) to cover wounds/damage control. Big old game of musical chairs with plenty more chairs than people (staff) right now

Reactions: 1 users
gotcha - again-= basic pharmacy law - the supervising pharmacist is responsible for everything that happens under their watch - you might disagree with this, but if you do, fight your board to not allow it
This is a dated concept that needs to keep up with the times. How can you expand tech responsibilities 10x and not adjust what the Rph is liable for? I don’t know of any cases of fighting the board and winning so likely we‘re all just sitting ducks when pharmacies let techs give shots and bag and label and verify. I’ve raised the issue with my colleagues and they couldn’t care less, as if their 5-15 year career is immune to something as simple as a mislabeled flecainide (2 tabs bid instead of 1 qd). And to those who are wondering, at my pharmacy, rphs no longer see the label on the bottle. They simply assume the right label is slapped on. We also assume half the blurry pills in the picture match the other half slightly more visible pills. And we assume the right med is in the right bag. We also assume if a technician sticks 2 meds for John Doe in the same bag, that they belong to the same John Doe and not two different John Doe’s.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t know what other regional markets are experiencing at this time , but here in South FL there is a massive exodus of pharmacists and technicians from the big chains . Walgreens and CVS are losing pharmacy personnel , pharmacies are closed , no coverage available - a complete nightmare . One of my RxOMs was on a conference call the other day concerning conducting interviews for potential new employees . A pharmacist colleague of mine has informed me that some new grads who were just recently hired at low salaries of $47 per hour have jumped ship to Publix who is currently starting out at $59/hour . There is currently a shortage of pharmacists at chains and other settings nationwide if you do a simple search due to mental health issues , job burnout . I don’t know about you guys , but I’m personally quite satisfied this is happening and the big chains are paying for all their exploitation and abuse . It’s simple supply and demand and right now it appears to be that pharmacy personnel have some more leverage over employers . Either the chains increase pay substantially more or they should prepare to continue suffering . Who in their right mind would want to work for garbage money at $47 an hour or even less when the workload during this pandemic has tripled ? I’m happy these monsters are starting to go under even if temporarily . Enough is enough ! COVID vaccines , testing , higher prescription volume , inadequate staffing , flu testing coming up soon , and a myriad of other responsibilities for low starting salaries ? The days of even high $50s per hour are long over . In this day and age , pharmacists should be making at least mid-60s per hour /$70 per hour . Is it any wonder people are leaving ? I even received an email today that one particular chain is conducting job interviews and looking for pharmacists /Rxms in the Orlando metropolitan area and offering sign on bonuses . I hope no one falls for that bait . Let’s not forget how much worse things will be when the FDA approves the Pfizer vaccine for use in children under 12- a nightmare will ensue if parents bringing in their children for the vaccine . Things will be intolerable and if people are quitting now I suppose more will resign . These companies will have to either increase pay or do something about workloads because barely anyone can handle it anymore . Right now America is in a golden age of greater job leverage and more opportunity, hence the great resignation . We’re starting to see things shift in another direction for pharmacy and a direction we haven’t seen in a while (years). Let’s hope pharmacists continue to stand up for themselves . We are the ones vaccinating the entire country . Tell me - where are the MDs ? They’re not doing anything . We’re doing all the vaccinating , taking all the stress and beating and for the same pay ! I’m glad there is a shortage of pharmacy personnel and I predict it will continue . May we move forward to greener pastures and opportunity and I wish nothing but doom to the American corporations that have ruined and degraded our profession .
Many md offices are giving out the vaccine too.

This is a dated concept that needs to keep up with the times. How can you expand tech responsibilities 10x and not adjust what the Rph is liable for? I don’t know of any cases of fighting the board and winning so likely we‘re all just sitting ducks when pharmacies let techs give shots and bag and label and verify. I’ve raised the issue with my colleagues and they couldn’t care less, as if their 5-15 year career is immune to something as simple as a mislabeled flecainide (2 tabs bid instead of 1 qd). And to those who are wondering, at my pharmacy, rphs no longer see the label on the bottle. They simply assume the right label is slapped on. We also assume half the blurry pills in the picture match the other half slightly more visible pills. And we assume the right med is in the right bag. We also assume if a technician sticks 2 meds for John Doe in the same bag, that they belong to the same John Doe and not two different John Doe’s.
With midlevels in medicine, the physician is still fully responsible as they are the deepest pocket to go after.

We have a few grad interns who are taking longer than normal to get licensed. Apparently naplex dates were hard to book and took longer to get (correct) results and the state board is taking significantly longer than normal to post licenses.

I've only actually met one class of 21 grad that is actually licensed and she finally had her license post in the last 7-10 days.
Yes state boards have limited staff right now.

We have 9 pharmacists quit from my district in the past month. 2 floaters, 3 pics, 1 overnight, and 3 staff rph. Where are all these Rphs going? I know CVS is a horrible company and I would quit in a second but i never see job openings in my area for pharmacists....so where are all these people quitting going???

Have you asked your coworkers where these people are going? Usually people ask them before they leave.

Reactions: 1 user
I happy that the chains are feeling the pain. But I do feel extremely bad for the patients, who are not at fault but suffering the consequences. We’ve had 10 techs and 4 rphs quit within the last month from 2/4 of the stores in my area.

If only there was an entity that was sworn to protect patients and ensure they have adequate and timely access to medications🤔

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
I happy that the chains are feeling the pain. But I do feel extremely bad for the patients, who are not at fault but suffering the consequences. We’ve had 10 techs and 4 rphs quit within the last month from 2/4 of the stores in my area.
Meh, pharmacy is the least of the issues as far as patients suffering
Just look at the average wait time at your local ER

Interesting. I'll never do retail but hopefully this stops the wage drop for pharmacists.... just need to make it another 10 years

somebody has to be ultimately responsible - it is just like PA's and NP's - the MD is ultimately responsible for them - in the ED the attending rarely sees the pt - but they will get sued if something happens. Right now the balance of power is shifting to the worker (although still a long ways to go to get where it was 20 years ago) - but this is your chance to flex your muscle with your employer or board. I used to moonlight, and I would never work at a place were I didn't physically see the tablets in the bottle and see the label on the bottle - just not worth it.

Have you asked your coworkers where these people are going? Usually people ask them before they leave.
Because of high turnover I barely know any of the other Rphs in my district. I did know the floaters since they were long term employees. One of them was actually my PIC when i was an intern. I think they both just had enough and quit because they didn’t give 2 weeks notice or anything. One of them was supposed to cover my vacation but quit the day before i was supposed to start my vacation. I couldn’t push my vacation back because it’s my younger brothers wedding so they had to close my store for 2 days and close early another day because we don’t have anyone to cover

Members don't see this ad :)
Because of high turnover I barely know any of the other Rphs in my district. I did know the floaters since they were long term employees. One of them was actually my PIC when i was an intern. I think they both just had enough and quit because they didn’t give 2 weeks notice or anything. One of them was supposed to cover my vacation but quit the day before i was supposed to start my vacation. I couldn’t push my vacation back because it’s my younger brothers wedding so they had to close my store for 2 days and close early another day because we don’t have anyone to cover

I'm surprised they still honoured your PTO

F*** these mother*******. I hope they go down and learn . In my region, over twenty open spots for staff pharmacists, rxms, etc. No one wants these positions . Lately, during visits , DMs and other management are not as vocal and seem to have a little more tact - I guess they fear another resignation . Who truly wants to work for these chains ? It’s just one additional duty after another thrown on the pharmacy- adult COVID vaccine, boosters, COVID testing, and now children’s COVID vaccine for ages 5 to 11. Come on , give me a break . These companies expect a pharmacy to become an immunization clinic and testing site for the same pay - this is bs. In my opinion, technicians should be making at least $25 per hour and pharmacists should be making high 60s per hour . To go back to early 2000 wages is a disgrace and a sad state for our profession . Sooner or later the chains will have to do something - I don’t know what they will do either because things are not working in their favor . Either increase pay or improve working conditions . They’re betting on new grads getting licensed ? That’s not really working out too well because from what I have seen the new grads don’t last - soon as they find higher paying work , they leave and these chain positions become even more of a revolving door . Let’s see what 2022 brings . As I running joke I have with my senior technician , watch next year the chains are going to invent some additional responsibility that falls upon the pharmacist and technician - free prostate exams for men ages 50+ and older and get all your prescriptions , flu shots, and COVID shot within 15 minutes - no appointment necessary . Obviously , a joke, but you guys get it - irs always something new . No other job or profession always has some new task or responsibility thrown upon them . In nearly every job , job duties are well defined and limited in scope . Pharmacy ? Just keep adding to the job to the point you’re a jack of all trades and a master of none . I’m 35 years old but I wish I could go back to 2008 when I was 22 and starting out- I would have chosen another career . This isn’t worth it anymore .

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
The state BoP in the multistate areas I'm in do not care about patient's wait times, store closures, or days long transfers. I have called about them and receieve no response and I have recommended patients to call too. Apparently, the Boards consider this the new normal and it is what it is. If a Board inspector came into my pharmacy right now I would make sure it went into some type of record with the problems above so if a patient every had a lawsuit against the chains then the Boards also get a black eye.

Its just sad when we are working out butts off and stressed out of our own minds to try and make sure that rx is right only to have to deal with corporate popping a vein if someone gives a negative survey:rolleyes:. Boooooo Hoooooo!!! 25 years in and all 25 years its the same thing...you dont do enough.....it will NEVER be enough:rolleyes:.

I've asked, and most are going for wfh temp full-time positions. I figure they're going to keep looking for something more permanent while wfh, or bank on performing well enough to be offered a permanent position.

Even when critically understaffed they can't show that they're worried about further resignations. For them to show they care about forcing more people to leave would show their weakness, because they would have to acknowledge that their workers actually matter in the grand scheme of things. And that's something the big chains are loathe to do....

Yes and no. At my company, having to pick up the extra slack and being told the extra vaccinators and “mandated covid vaccine schedules” for one day should help us catch up from this whole year+ worth of falling behind from the pandemic and getting burnt out. I had to ask to stop being scheduled 6 days bc I never okayed them in the first place. Crazy how many pharmacists are leaving for other jobs in my area. Staff positions offered but on pause because of being used to help other stores in need. I am hoping something comes along the way so I can say deuces to retail because I’m sick of hearing complaints from PDL and corporate and getting a crap schedule as well as last minute scheduling changes because of contract has a clause of “meeting company needs”. If not bye to retail, at least a new company but “part time and temp” doesn’t sound too promising.

It doesn't surprise me to see this celebrated as there's never been a shortage of pharmacists so willing to cut their nose to spite their face. This shortage is empowering large chains to petition state boards for rules they've been asking for.

Tech check tech. Technician verification. Technician counseling. It's coming soon to a state near you! Everyone celebrate!
Why stop there? We need provider status for technicians. We need technicians performing surgery.

Why stop there? We need provider status for technicians. We need technicians performing surgery.

I'm already letting technicians run our amb care clinics and they're doing a great job. At this point the only reason we need a pharmacist is for the license.

So the question is, how much training do you need to do your job? I think we get narrow sighted that we can only do one thing but everyone of us has multiple hats.

How many of us could learn to do total knee replacement surgery? It's one joint and the diagnosis and treatment is already laid out so if you trained with a MD for a while then I'm sure everyone of us could learn a specific surgery.

So why? It's when something goes awry and you need years of experience and training to deal with something unexpected.

I'm starting to wonder if we are going to go back to apprenticeships and everybody's level of experience will be as varied as the stars in the sky.

It doesn't surprise me to see this celebrated as there's never been a shortage of pharmacists so willing to cut their nose to spite their face. This shortage is empowering large chains to petition state boards for rules they've been asking for.

Tech check tech. Technician verification. Technician counseling. It's coming soon to a state near you! Everyone celebrate!
That was in process anyway. Healthcare costs have been in political crosshairs, and whoever does not have political power to push back will be squeezed.