Anyone like me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Giovanotto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what I will be considered when I graduate from an American Osteopathic medical school, but I am an international student. Will I be considered an international AMG?

I'd really like to hear some stories about international students that have gone to an American Osteopathic Medical school and their experience with the journey. I'm very apprehensive and anxious about the entire process. I understand that in order to get the H1B for residency the U.S. requires Step 1,2 and even 3. Has anyone gotten away with anything less?

More importantly, when time comes to apply for residency, how will I be viewed, since I'm an international student from an American medical school?

*If it makes any difference, I've had my entire formal education here in the States.

Thank you very much for any advice/suggestions/stories posted here.

Members don't see this ad.

How would you get away with "anything less"? Steps 1, 2 are required to graduate from medical schools and to get state medical licenses. Step 3 is required by some states but almost all physicians take it during their intern year. In the eyes of a program director, you will just be AMG that needs a visa. Would that affect your chances? Certainly, since the programs that offer H1b visa are few and far between. Would that make you unable to match? Not likely, unless you are gunning for competitive specialties or failed your boards.

As an international AMG, you will need to apply to more programs and be willing to move to any place that offers H1b visa. You should also be prepared to take both USMLE (step 1 and maybe step 2 CK) and COMLEX since nearly all AOA programs do not sponsor any visa whatsoever (i.e., the competitive AOA residencies available to DO students would be off-limits to you, and chances of a DO student matching MD residencies in ortho, derm, plastic, etc. are slim).

At the end of the days, however, you are not in school yet, so sit back and enjoy the last few months before school starts and all hell breaks loose.

Reactions: 1 user
Most if not all state boards require DOs to pass COMLEX Level 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get married in medical school for your green card. That's an option.

Get married in medical school for your green card. That's an option.
I have been hearing this a lot....Is it really that easy to find someone you like and get married before the 4th year tho? Kinda rushed to me.

As for OP, I'm in the same shoe as you. From what I understand, we will be considered AMG/DO, so you will not have to face what IMGs from carrib (even US citizens) have to face. That being said, you need to do your research on what program offers H1B/J1 (for competitive specialties, J1 gives you a better chance), then apply only to those programs... Don't even bother about applying to program that straight out don't give visa. But hey, you still have 4 years, so grab a cold one and enjoy your ride. Who knows what is gonna happen in 4 years?