What are the advantages to matching at programs like Duke, UNC, UPenn etc for FM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Banana_pudding

Reaction score
I saw on multiple forums that these programs are considered to be "career launchers". What does that even mean? If you match, you're going to be an FM doc anyways. Are there any other advantages that I'm not aware of besides research opportunities?

Members don't see this ad.

I saw on multiple forums that these programs are considered to be "career launchers". What does that even mean? If you match, you're going to be an FM doc anyways. Are there any other advantages that I'm not aware of besides research opportunities?
Mainly to go into other academic institutions to work. You might also use it to get into a fellowship like sports, addiction, or sleep. You may get a lot of good networking. Overall, I don't think there's value to any of these places for most people regardless of specialty. You only derive value if your goals are research, connections or academic medicine. If these are not your priorities, try to match into a program where you feel you get good work-life balance and will be happy or near people that matter to you

Reactions: 5 users
I imagine going to a prestigious academic center for FM residency training would be beneficial for someone aspiring to enter academia and become a prolific researcher. As far as quality of clinical training goes, some might say that they'd prefer to train at an unopposed community FM program, where you're not competing with peds residents and OB residents to see patients.

The fellowships that are generally open to FM residents (e.g., addiction and sports med) are not particularly competitive. One can match into them without too much difficulty even after training at a community program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They are career launchers for those aspiring to work at other large academic institutions or do lots of research. That’s it.

Personally if I were an FM doc I would avoid the large academic places like the plague.

Reactions: 1 user
I imagine going to a prestigious academic center for FM residency training would be beneficial for someone aspiring to enter academia and become a prolific researcher. As far as quality of clinical training goes, some might say that they'd prefer to train at an unopposed community FM program, where you're not competing with peds residents and OB residents to see patients.

The fellowships that are generally open to FM residents (e.g., addiction and sports med) are not particularly competitive. One can match into them without too much difficulty even after training at a community program.
On second thought, you're right. It wouldn't even be worth it for the fellowships. I know people from community programs that matched sports and sleep with no problem

Reactions: 1 users