Anyone not get interview offers yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsres

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 41 programs the beginning of September but have had 3 rejections and no interview offers yet. I am beginning to get very concerned.

Members don't see this ad.

Preliminary medicine and PM&R. I just got another rejection email from a preliminary medicine program. I do not know what else to do. Because my board scores were low I took and passed step 3 last winter to bolster my application, though it was just passing. I am presently studying the MKSAP books and other sources. Someone mentioned to me that perhaps I should apply for categorical medicine positions since they may be less competitive. I just want a chance to show what I can do. I have been working so hard to get where I am and this is so frustrating.

I'm no expert in the IM match, since I'm applying to Gen Surg-- but I do have a lot of friends applying to medicine, and all of them have gotten several invitations, some have even been on a few interviews. I'd say you need to drastically rework your approach at this point because you should have heard something from programs by now.

Best of Luck to you:thumbup: Hope you get through the match ok

No interviews here, got some rejections though. (derm is you where curious)

I applied to 53 Psych programs, most of them on 10/16, and no interviews yet. Here is advice I got from someone on the Psych forum -

"I think that the reason you haven't heard is that your app might be filtered out by the PDs ERAS filter settings. In other words, they may not even be looking at the rest of your app. If you don't hear from programs in the next couple weeks, you may wish to start calling programs and ask them about your application status and see if they'd consider extending you an interview."

Anyways, what do you think of me applying to a backup specialty (you could probably guess which one) this late in the season? I've been kind of avoiding it, but I am thinking I may have no choice but to resort to Plan B. If it's not too late.

I applied to 53 Psych programs, most of them on 10/16, and no interviews yet. Here is advice I got from someone on the Psych forum -

"I think that the reason you haven't heard is that your app might be filtered out by the PDs ERAS filter settings. In other words, they may not even be looking at the rest of your app. If you don't hear from programs in the next couple weeks, you may wish to start calling programs and ask them about your application status and see if they'd consider extending you an interview."

Anyways, what do you think of me applying to a backup specialty (you could probably guess which one) this late in the season? I've been kind of avoiding it, but I am thinking I may have no choice but to resort to Plan B. If it's not too late.

Filter.....based on what criteria???

For some programs, they don't even download apps from people with scores below a set cutoff. Others put the low scorers in a separate pile and they are gone over later by someone else, like the program director, to see if there is any worth offering an interview to (so you would get an offer later). I had no idea psych was that competitive though. Or is your app just that bad (failed a year or a step, arrested for a felony, etc)?

I applied to 41 programs the beginning of September but have had 3 rejections and no interview offers yet. I am beginning to get very concerned.

Sorry to hear that... is PM&R really competative? From reading/talking to people, it seems like if you're flexible in your geography, IM and family medicine are pretty easy to get into if you went to school in the US and passed all your classes/board steps. Would that be an option for you as well? If so, it's not too late to apply to a few of those programs!!

I'm assuming you mean Family?

Please don't turn yourself into another bitter family doctor who went into it because they couldn't get into their specialty of choice.

Family medicine needs more good, inspired docs who love what they do. Believe me, there are plenty of us out there, but there are still a few who are resentful because this was their Plan B. Why do that to you or your patients?

Stay out a year,reapply next year, or scramble into psych. Please don't fill an empty spot in FM just because you didn't get into psych.

I applied in IM, no calls and many rejects despite my scores in 90s. :( probably coz I failed my CS...:(

which one is the backup specialty?

For some programs, they don't even download apps from people with scores below a set cutoff. Others put the low scorers in a separate pile and they are gone over later by someone else, like the program director, to see if there is any worth offering an interview to (so you would get an offer later). I had no idea psych was that competitive though. Or is your app just that bad (failed a year or a step, arrested for a felony, etc)?
My app has been downloaded by all but one program, so hopefully that means I did not get filtered out but instead got put in that "special pile" you suggested. Psych is traditionally one of the least competitive, but there are still more applicants than positions. And my app unfortunately has this on the front cover - 182/75 on Step 1 and 221/90 (4th attempt) on Step 2 CK. If only they will look past that to see what's really inside. :(

I'm assuming you mean Family?

Please don't turn yourself into another bitter family doctor who went into it because they couldn't get into their specialty of choice.

Family medicine needs more good, inspired docs who love what they do. Believe me, there are plenty of us out there, but there are still a few who are resentful because this was their Plan B. Why do that to you or your patients?

Stay out a year,reapply next year, or scramble into psych. Please don't fill an empty spot in FM just because you didn't get into psych.
I assure you, if I end up in FM due to circumstances beyond my control, I will not be bitter, nor will I be resentful. I will be thankful that I have a job, that I am still a physician, and I will love what I do for what it is worth. Just b/c it is a Plan B does not imply I will be a bad, uninspired doctor. Isn't life full of Plan Bs? Sorry I had to defend myself here. :oops: But I do appreciate your advice.

No interviews here, got some rejections though. (derm is you where curious)

Keep in mind that west coast programs send interview offers late in the season. I wouldn't look too much into it.

Radiology is the same as Dermatology. Southeast and Midwest programs send invites early and East and West Coast programs send invites late.

Hang in there.

I applied in IM, no calls and many rejects despite my scores in 90s. :( probably coz I failed my CS...

Are you FMG, if you are then are freash graduate ?????

I'm a first year resident and have been a working intern for the past 6 months. I am waiting for interview invites too. You would think that programs would be happy to have some one who is already "trained". I wouldn't think too much about it yet. It's really early in the cycle especially for the West coast. Keep the faith, the waiting is miserable. I did it last year too.

I applied to GS this year.
FMG, 3 years experience, FRCS, 83 step1, 80 step2, ECFMG certified. 1 month elective experience in US.
got no interviews so far. not even prelim. 23 rejections.

starting to get worried too.
do i have any chances ?

i've been anxiously waiting west coast interviews while all my classmates already have some... I'm going into EM. My score are average (220's) but you'd think that I at least would get more than 1 !! Not to mention west coast prelim IM and TY are taking forever Waiting is killing me. Anybody know how late west coast interviews offers still roll in?