Aoa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

InertQuail

is it possible to get AOA without any clinical honors, but if you have a step 1 >250 and all honors 1st and second year? Does it vary by school? I know third year grades are huge, but has anyone gotten AOA/heard of someone getting AOA without clinical honors?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Possible not probable.

Agreed.

While your stats are excellent numbers-wise, being unable to honor in clinical rotations is poor form if you're trying to match into dermatology.

You have the rest of the year to step up your game. Work as if you didn't score >250 on the boards and have something to prove on the wards.

Members don't see this ad :)
being unable to honor in clinical rotations is poor form if you're trying to match into dermatology

:scared: Oh god...:scared:

To the OP, I'll let you know how it worked out for me. But like sensitive skin noted, you really don't want to be me. :scared:

:scared: Oh god...:scared:

To the OP, I'll let you know how it worked out for me. But like sensitive skin noted, you really don't want to be me. :scared:

Didn't mean to upset you. This is just what PDs have repeatedly told me. :oops:

I work hard at everything I do. I am not honoring rotations due to decent, but not outstanding reviews from attendings. I work my ass off, but it's not enough to impress the powers that be. I scored well enough on the shelf to honor. this is unfair and disappointing. I am a good person who works hard, and then phony gunners get honors where i don't. third year is busted. i wish the grades didn't matter as much as they do. crap.

medical school is liking going to the dentist everyday four 3 years...then 4th year is cool (that is until you have to start worrying about interviews). try not worry about it. get honors if you can, but there are more important things in life (although it is hard to see that when you are in the thick of 3rd year). as a quick point of advice, i think that the key to getting clinical honors is making life easier for the people above you. on the plus side, you clearly have the intelligence for the high grades.

is it possible to get AOA without any clinical honors, but if you have a step 1 >250 and all honors 1st and second year? Does it vary by school? I know third year grades are huge, but has anyone gotten AOA/heard of someone getting AOA without clinical honors?

thanks

Yes, junior AOA. People do apply after M2/Step 1 as well.

also, my school has junior AOA, but it's not awarded until the end of junior year. this is counterintuitive to me, since by the time someone gets junior AOA, they're essentially a senior. whatever.

apply for residency? apply for AOA? I'm not sure what you mean.

I know of someone in my program who applied for AOA in between M2 and M3 (I guess in the middle of our first M3 rotation, to be exact). This was before any completed rotations, no M3 grades.

She received AOA status during the middle of M3. Actually I think we had only finished 2 rotations at that point.

So, yes junior AOA does happen. And it happens well before being a senior.

I know of someone in my program who applied for AOA in between M2 and M3 (I guess in the middle of our first M3 rotation, to be exact). This was before any completed rotations, no M3 grades.

She received AOA status during the middle of M3. Actually I think we had only finished 2 rotations at that point.

So, yes junior AOA does happen. And it happens well before being a senior.

My school does not use the same system for induction into AOA. The decision is made later, and the person is inducted in the final weeks of third year.

Also, there is no application process. A person is chosen based on their performance.

My school does not use the same system for induction into AOA. The decision is made later, and the person is inducted in the final weeks of third year.

Also, there is no application process. A person is chosen based on their performance.

Then,

"Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answers?"

magneto1.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Then,

"Why do you ask questions to which you already know the answers?"

magneto1.jpg

douchebag,

my initial question had nothing to do with when AOA inductees were chosen. It was regarding the criteria by which they are chosen.

those two statements might seem incongruent if they were read (and pasted) out of context, *****. Please refer to my initial question where I ask about the specific performanace measures a person must meet in order to be accepted to AOA.

seriously, what the F is wrong with you? your passive aggresive attitude is garbage.

OK guys...looks like we need a mediator here :) We're all on the same team.

Maybe I can shed a little light on the discussion:

I am an officer in our AOA chapter. As far as I know, the only requirements for membership from the National AOA are for members to be in the "top 25%" of their medical school class. Only 15% of the class can be selected for AOA out of the top 25% who may be considered. (i.e. if you school has 100 individuals only 15 are chosen for AOA). After that, each individual school has different criteria. The National Chapter suggests that individual member chapters consider:

• Professionalism - To hold the conviction that professionalism in medicine is a worthy goal.
  • Scholarship - To promote scholarship among medical professionals.
  • Leadership - To set an example worth emulating.
  • Service - To serve the medical profession and the community.
Our particular school looks at these four criteria above, GPA/class rank, research, and letters of recommendation. Step I/II scores are not factored into the equation at our school.

Hope this helps :)

play nice, please.

Not a problem. You'll notice none of my posts contain a hint of anger/aggression let alone foul language.

Considering the short fuse the OP has, it's no wonder the clinical honors are amiss.

In a way, it is remarkable that this forum, once completely dormant, has now become rife with activity, questions, comments, and now, sniping.

Okay, last time. No more personal attacks or snide personal remarks. Further similar posts will lead to the thread being closed.

Thanks Dr. Mom for your help. I've been to busy today dealing with: cyroglobinaemia eshcars, severe GVHD might need to go to burn unit, and an admission, go figure derm doing admits, to read/mod the forum.

Okay, last time. No more personal attacks or snide personal remarks. Further similar posts will lead to the thread being closed.

I refuse to comply. I am a conscientious objector of the TOS.

I will continue to make personal attacks against myself.

Underdog is a *****.

Not a problem. You'll notice none of my posts contain a hint of anger/aggression let alone foul language.

Considering the short fuse the OP has, it's no wonder the clinical honors are amiss.

so passive aggressive. i bet it was awesome growing up in your household. i can just see it: you make a mistake or get a poor grade, and then instead of being forthright, your mother or father would shame you by making some offhand comment about how an A- is good, but it sure would have been great if you'd done just a bit better. go seek couseling.

also, i've been forthcoming about my annoyance with your responses, while you've made snide underhanded comments about mine.

your inital gratuitous comment is what started this off. two better options would have been to say nothing at all, or provide an answer to my original question (thanks, by the way, Pemphigirl).

What part of knock it off do you not understand?

I'd send you both in the corner for timeout.

Kids these days :rolleyes:

I have a diseased mind where I have to have the final word on a subject.

the funny thing is, 2oradio will likely match into derm this year and then next year i'll meet him/her while i'm interviewing. we'll probably hit it off like gangbusters not realizing we had sdn banter. we'll become fast friends and he/she will teach me the wonders of dermatology. we'll have long heartfelt chats about mohs and keratoacanthoma and sclerosing things. it'll be magnificent.

2oradio, please accept my apology for the d-bag comment. it was reactionary and childish.

may you flourish in life.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, the only requirements for membership from the National AOA are for members to be in the "top 25%" of their medical school class. Only 15% of the class can be selected for AOA out of the top 25% who may be considered. (i.e. if you school has 100 individuals only 15 are chosen for AOA). After that, each individual school has different criteria. The National Chapter suggests that individual member chapters consider:

• Professionalism - To hold the conviction that professionalism in medicine is a worthy goal.
  • Scholarship - To promote scholarship among medical professionals.
  • Leadership - To set an example worth emulating.
  • Service - To serve the medical profession and the community.
Our particular school looks at these four criteria above, GPA/class rank, research, and letters of recommendation. Step I/II scores are not factored into the equation at our school.

Hope this helps :)

My school is the exact same as above, but the top 20% of students are chosen. So if you know your relative class rank (usually some sort of designation is given on one's dean's letter), you can assess if you will be in the pool considered.

I have a diseased mind where I have to have the final word on a subject.

the funny thing is, 2oradio will likely match into derm this year and then next year i'll meet him/her while i'm interviewing. we'll probably hit it off like gangbusters not realizing we had sdn banter. we'll become fast friends and he/she will teach me the wonders of dermatology. we'll have long heartfelt chats about mohs and keratoacanthoma and sclerosing things. it'll be magnificent.

2oradio, please accept my apology for the d-bag comment. it was reactionary and childish.

may you flourish in life.

You are probably right. But you will have to wait 2 yrs, his/her PGY-1/TY and then yours...

I hope everyone here trying to match this year does so and then those who go for it next year. The whole process is unnerving at times.