APA membership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BuckeyeLove

Forensic Psychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning all!

I was wondering if any of you could expound upon your ideas of the pros (i.e., journal discounts, trust insurance discounts for PP, having a cool card with your name on it?) and cons (i.e., price?) of maintaining APA membership. I am about to graduate and begin fellowship at the end of summer, and thus am unsure about continuing my membership (outside of the free year they offer to newly graduated student affiliates).

Members don't see this ad.

I maintain memberships in my specialty organizations (i.e., APA div 40, INS) but haven't been a member of APA for some time. I have a fundamental problem with how they handle things that directly conflict with a lot of my ethical beliefs. Not too mention their choice of major sponsors. Journal discounts really depend on your situation. At the VA, I have access to both the VA library and the University to which I am also attached as an employee. Those two sources get me all I need journal wise, so that is not a drawing point for me. I also don't need malpractice insurance working in the VA, so that's out the window.

We'll see what happens with new leadership coming in. I have high hopes that Tony Puente gets the nod and ushers in some new changes in APA. If that happens, I'll gladly become a member again.

Reactions: 1 users