APA style/publishing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phipps

Post-Doctoral Fellow
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

Does anyone know whether tables can be in landscape format instead of portrait? Also, are bullets okay in a table or better not? I cannot find any hint in the APA manual.

Thanks much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Quoting the APA Style Blog...

http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/tables-and-figures

"Portrait or landscape orientation is fine—use what is appropriate for your presentation."

It also cites "pages 127–150 of Chapter 5 of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, sixth edition."

The site is searchable and you may be able to find info about bulleted tables also....

Wow. Thanks for clarifying the first point. Also, it seems that tables and figures go to the end of the text as opposed to being in the text. Totally missed that one!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, its the journal that makes it all fancy and puts the figures and tables in appropriate places. In case that website doesn't mention it you are supposed put each figure and table on separate pages also. Also, I've seen many articles have tables in landscape and many times having their own page when published. I think (and I stress think) that I've seen bullets in a table before. If the APA manual does not state anything about it I've been told that, as long as it meets all other APA rules, you can be kind of creative with the format. If you are doing this for a class you may want to just adjust it until it is in a familiar APA form so you don't incur deductions.

Thanks! It's for a journal publication

Random... but in your Introduction, how do you properly add subheadings? APA 6th edition style. (NOT subject headings, i.e. methods).

Are they centered, plain text (without caps)...
or are they centered, Italicized, with/without caps?

if you want to show me, here are two subheadings below:
How might emotion dysregulation influence emotion perception in BPD?
Limitations of previous research

My professors always told me to make it bold and put a period after it in the first line of the paragraph. Like:

Limitations of previous research. The literature sucks because blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,diehfoiwgef;wgh;uqif........... and on and on forever.

I hope that helps/is what you were talking about?

My professors always told me to make it bold and put a period after it in the first line of the paragraph. Like:

Limitations of previous research. The literature sucks because blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,diehfoiwgef;wgh;uqif........... and on and on forever.

I hope that helps/is what you were talking about?

Actually, that's one layer further down, if I'm understanding the question. You'd want it left-aligned, boldface, uppercase and lowercase (e.g., Limitations of Previous Research). See this link for more info: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/16/

^ ah, yes, thanks. I have the APA book, but it doesn't seem to go through that for the introduction.

so i'll do it that way then!

thanks.

^ ah, yes, thanks. I have the APA book, but it doesn't seem to go through that for the introduction.

so i'll do it that way then!

thanks.

I think the heading rules apply equally to all sections of the paper. Good luck with your work!

I've touched on this before, but I will mention it again. I recommend PERRLA software...it does a great job formatting APA....I'm always getting notes from professors on how well my APA formatting is...It's very inexpensive and has 3 licenses in the price, both mac and windows...