APPE Community Pharmacy Rotation help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericn2k3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an email this morning that caught me off guard. While my company regularly takes in IPPE students yearly (skipped this year due to COVID), I got an email from a student regarding their upcoming APPE. I don't know where to start. It is flu season now. It is busy all day, everyday. Anyone at CVS that have APPE students can share some tips/insights on how to approach this?

Members don't see this ad.

I received an email this morning that caught me off guard. While my company regularly takes in IPPE students yearly (skipped this year due to COVID), I got an email from a student regarding their upcoming APPE. I don't know where to start. It is flu season now. It is busy all day, everyday. Anyone at CVS that have APPE students can share some tips/insights on how to approach this?

If you are that concerned, just decline taking the student? Or if you are already signed up to precept the rotation then just make it as useful as possible. I previously worked at the Corner of H&H and had an APPE student during flu season once. He administered the majority of my flu shots which saved me a ton of time. When he wasn't doing vaccines he was right next to me taking phone calls, transfers, counseling at the window. I thought he ended up having a meaningful rotation all things considered.

Reactions: 1 users
Assuming your company still declining students, tell that student politely that your site is not taking students at this time.

I "heard" CVS was still taking students in my area though since I know a few paid interns doing IPPEs at CVS

Your student gives immunizations and does the drive thru 24/7.... isn't that what all retail places do with students? That would be the biggest help to you as a preceptor, and give them some decent experience giving shots at least.

That was my experience during some retail APPE. I must've given out 30-50+ shots a day (prevnar, pneumovax, flu, zostavax, etc.)