Appeal Letter for Dismissal in 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh please, this isn't about power trips, it's about students behaving either like dinguses in front of their peers, being clueless about being the mentor/mentee relationship, or worse, not fulfilling their responsibilities.

For example, the former EMT/Paramedic who keeps ignoring his cardiology preceptor because "I already know that".

Or the student who habitually shows up late for surgeries.

I take it you're not a parent, user? One thing I've learned from having kids is that there are ALWAYS two sides to every story.

SJ's bitterness has preceded him many times, so I can't take his posts seriously.

Agree on many counts:

I go to one of the schools SDN considers authoritarian, and as long as you act like an adult, you don't run into problems. It's not really any different than working in any other professional setting. Sure, we're still students, but it's not all that unreasonable for medical school to expect us to start acting like professionals now.

You don't have to have kids to know there's always two sides to every story-- although I'm sure that definitely helps.

And SJ has a long history of posts about how the sky is falling.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It is incidents like these that often make me hesitant about the character and decision making of school administrations:

and this:

The President of my school, Dr. Goeppinger earns over $800,000 in compensation, also has an expense account, has a private jet that takes her wherever she wants. Many other administrators make upwards of $250k or more and we are not Harvard or Yale, we are a DO school located in a small town located near Phoenix, and probably the most expensive medical school in the country. That being said the school has great facilities, well trained faculty, and a safe modern campus, but students pay a premium for it all.

In fact over $400 million has been spent on the school since it opened in the late 1990s.

One thing I can say is medical school is not like undergrad, many people enter medical school thinking it might be four more years of undergrad, its not. That being said just work hard, and you will be a doctor, whether you go DO or MD.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The President of my school, Dr. Goeppinger earns over $800,000 in compensation, also has an expense account, has a private jet that takes her wherever she wants. Many other administrators make upwards of $250k or more and we are not Harvard or Yale, we are a DO school located in a small town located near Phoenix, and probably the most expensive medical school in the country. That being said the school has great facilities, well trained faculty, and a safe modern campus, but students pay a premium for it all.

Eye opening for sure.

Rhetorically speaking here, why does she need to make more than the POTUS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Eye opening for sure.

Rhetorically speaking here, why does she need to make more than the POTUS?
Rhetorically speaking, why should the president be paid at all? Would it affect the candidate pool and the quality of the job?

Rhetorically speaking, why should the president be paid at all? Would it affect the candidate pool and the quality of the job?

If anything it would lower both by limiting it to those who either can afford to work for free, and those who are willing to accept such a low salary (you gotta remember most candidates are fantastically wealthy by being extremely high caliber individuals).

If anything it would lower both by limiting it to those who either can afford to work for free, and those who are willing to accept such a low salary (you gotta remember most candidates are fantastically wealthy by being extremely high caliber individuals).
I guess I should not have said rhetorically but instead realistically.

Indeed. There are Major League shortstops who can barely hit .250 and still make a LOT more than $800K/year.

It's ASTONISHINGLY hard to hit .250 in the show.

Just saying.
Lol

Reactions: 2 users
In this thread, $300k+ lessons in pyrrhic victories.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the chances of getting a residency (family med or psych) from a Caribbean school provided you pass Step 1, Step 2CK, and CS?

What are the chances of getting a residency (family med or psych) from a Caribbean school provided you pass Step 1, Step 2CK, and CS?
are you considering redoing all 4 years at a carib school? Unless they grant you credit for your first 2 years, I would not even consider it at this point.

The bigger problem, even rather than being just from a Carib school, will be doing well and passing the steps on your first try, and explaining that you had matriculated and were dismissed from a DO school. You have to disclose that info when you apply, and I believe when you get licensed. Someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Also, what Carib school are you talking about? A big 4 or non-50 state accredited one? The latter would even more significantly hurt your small chances of obtaining a residency.

The truth is that with that route and given your history, you really have very little chance of obtaining residency, and I can't imagine that's something you'd want to do in terms of investing your time, effort, and money.

If you really can't see yourself doing anything else, there may be a few options. You can go the accelerated BSN --> NP route (or even CRNA). It'll take about as long as doing med school over again, but either way, you'll come out with a career at least somewhat similar to what you wanted in the first place.

Last edited:

I am usually for second chances. However, in this case, I think it is time to move on from being a physician. With your history, your chances of obtaining a residency is extremely low.

You could potentially try to become a podiatrist, PA, or NP if you are still interested in health care.

Several caribbean schools including some from the big 4 schools said they would take me as a 3rd year or 4th year student so I would complete rotations, have to pass USMLE Step 1, USMLE Step 2CK and Step 2 CS. I passed Level 1 Comlex (3rd attempt), passed Level 2 COMLEX PE and CE on first attempt. I even went on 4 AOA interviews for residency despite being off-cycle and my exam issues. Also 3 of them were planning on ranking me and I even had 2 calls from programs during the scramble as they were interested in me. All my letters of recommendation and every single preceptor I worked with had positive things to say about me.

Also, I was dismissed for leaving early on call and calling rotation sites when my core site could not accommodate me (the school's coordinator had apologized like that matters now) I didn't know calling about potential rotations would hurt anybody but it ended up destroying me. All this happened in a span of 4-6 months with no prior issues the first 3 years. My life went from hopeful and I couldn't believe I had gotten that far to a crashing and shocking low I never expected. Though I believe with hard work and the right attitude and mindset, people deserve second chances and if I'm not happy, I should try my best to change that and if it doesn't work out then at least I tried all my options.

If I did get interviews after all that...I would be honest and explain to them what happened....I was interested in family medicine and psychiatry.

Also just to clarify...the big 4 are: SGU, Ross, AUC and Saba? Ultimately, does it matter what school as long as it is accredited or basically just your board scores, letters of rec and overall interview experiences?

Several caribbean schools including some from the big 4 schools said they would take me as a 3rd year or 4th year student so I would complete rotations, have to pass USMLE Step 1, USMLE Step 2CK and Step 2 CS. I passed Level 1 Comlex (3rd attempt), passed Level 2 COMLEX PE and CE on first attempt. I even went on 4 AOA interviews for residency despite being off-cycle and my exam issues. Also 3 of them were planning on ranking me and I even had 2 calls from programs during the scramble as they were interested in me. All my letters of recommendation and every single preceptor I worked with had positive things to say about me.

Also, I was dismissed for leaving early on call and calling rotation sites when my core site could not accommodate me (the school's coordinator had apologized like that matters now) I didn't know calling about potential rotations would hurt anybody but it ended up destroying me. All this happened in a span of 4-6 months with no prior issues the first 3 years. My life went from hopeful and I couldn't believe I had gotten that far to a crashing and shocking low I never expected. Though I believe with hard work and the right attitude and mindset, people deserve second chances and if I'm not happy, I should try my best to change that and if it doesn't work out then at least I tried all my options.

If I did get interviews after all that...I would be honest and explain to them what happened....I was interested in family medicine and psychiatry.

Also just to clarify...the big 4 are: SGU, Ross, AUC and Saba? Ultimately, does it matter what school as long as it is accredited or basically just your board scores, letters of rec and overall interview experiences?
in that case, I say go for it. only having to do 1-2 years max makes this far less risky than starting all over. If worst case scenario you fail step 1 and can't continue, you only lose 1 or 2 semesters of tuition money.

also, consult a lawyer regarding your dismissal to at least take a look at your case.

Yeah if I fail step 1, I would not continue and move on with life (kind of sad after working towards this goal for past 8 years) but that's life. I must have bad karma:/

I'm normally not a fan of caribbean schools, but I have to applaud them for their willingness to give dismissed students second chances as transfers. I wasn't aware that they did this.

I'm normally not a fan of caribbean schools, but I have to applaud them for their willingness to give dismissed students second chances as transfers. I wasn't aware that they did this.

I think I have read of a few cases where dismissed students were allowed to continue as 3rd years in the caribbean. My concern in this case was the combined issue of both attending a caribbean school and being dismissed from a DO school. I believe even BonesDO had some difficulties matching even after doing well in another osteopathic school. Well, I still wish you luck @FutureDO2016 on whatever you choose.

Is psych not getting more competitive and pretty much out of reach for many IMGs?

OP, if you're willing to spend the time and money on something that isn't guaranteed, then sure give it a try. Personally, I would go with SGU in terms of connections to residencies, but its also the most expensive. Ross/AUC come next, then I'd put Saba last because they're the youngest and smallest, so many PDs have never heard of Saba students.

I agree that if you fail any of the Steps, I would just drop everything.

If you fail to match, there still is that IMG --> NP bridge program, but hopefully you won't have to use it. Let us know if things work out.

Is psych not getting more competitive and pretty much out of reach for many IMGs?

Its more competitive than it was, but nowhere near "out of reach". US MDs only fill like 64% of the spots. There is no way DOs fill all the rest (or even the majority of the rest). To give you an idea, 188 DOs (14%) matched psych in 2016, while 294 US & non-US IMGs (21%) matched Psych.

My main concern is finishing rotations, passing USMLE Step 1, 2 and CS and then applying and not getting a residency. How do you explain my situation (getting dismissed for leaving on-call early and calling hospitals for scheduling rotations)? Would any residency director (I'm interested in family med and psych) even accept me?

I want to exhaust all my options so I can say I tried my best and it just wasn't meant to be but I used all my options. And who knows maybe it will work out?

My main concern is finishing rotations, passing USMLE Step 1, 2 and CS and then applying and not getting a residency. How do you explain my situation (getting dismissed for leaving on-call early and calling hospitals for scheduling rotations)? Would any residency director (I'm interested in family med and psych) even accept me?

I want to exhaust all my options so I can say I tried my best and it just wasn't meant to be but I used all my options. And who knows maybe it will work out?

Dude, I say go for it and transfer as a 3rd year to the Carib program. If your DO school shut the door on you for good then what other option do you have if you still want to be a physician? If you're confident you could pass the USMLEs then do it.