Application Process Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student5711abc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I read a recommendation somewhere that if one is still working on their application that they could apply to a school that they have no interest in and use that as a type of springboard to get the transcript verification process going. This seems like a good idea so that as soon as I am finished with everything my application will be immediately ready for the schools I am applying to rather than wait another month.

Would this be acceptable? Will it harm me in anyway? I don't really have a PS prepared and am planning on working on that during this time frame. Later when I am ready to apply to the schools I am sincerely interested would I be able to go back and add my final personal statement or would the one to the first school be locked in?

Is anything at all set in stone once I submit the application to the first school?

Thank you much in advance as I wasn't sure where to find this information.

Members don't see this ad.

When you submit the application to that one school, AACOMAS will start the verification process that could take quite a while. I am not sure what the wait time is right now, but I am guessing a few weeks at least.

When you submit your application, your application needs to be complete. You are essentially SUBMITTING YOUR APP to that one school. The submitting to only one school deal is used by people who are waiting for MCAT scores since you can submit without one. In your case, it would not work because you cant change your personal statement after you submit.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with my friend above. You need to finalize your personal statement before submitting your application because once it's verified that's your PS for good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm... I've been verified and I can still change my PS if I wanted to. The only part of my application off limits to me is my coursework.

Hmmm... I've been verified and I can still change my PS if I wanted to. The only part of my application off limits to me is my coursework.
Eh, I don't know about that. I am 99.9% sure after you submit you can't change it to where it will update and the schools will get the new
And improved essay.

If you click "Pay and Submit" I'm pretty sure the updated application is sent to the schools. I had a course miscategorized, so I called AACOMAS and they fixed it. The man on the phone told me the updated app would be re-sent to all of the schools I already applied to.

Someone on the PCOM-GA thread mentioned that whenever his app got updated, the school placed the re-sent file to the back of the line:

"I ended up calling PCOM-GA Admissions office today. They were very helpful with looking over my app. I was transferred once to another member of the Admissions office. They were able to provide me with an update on the status of my application. As some background, my supplemental was complete/received on 25 JUL with the fee processed on 28 JUL. So here is the kicker and I am not sure if it is similar at other schools: each time I updated my original application (AACOMAS) with a new employment entry, EC, etc., my application would technically go to the end of the processing queue. I had recently updated my application with my new job title so I guess that's what happened!"

Okay, thanks for all the ideas. So it sounds like each time you update the app a new one is generated and sent to all the schools listed. So if I hadn't originally listed my sincere schools, then they would never even see the one without the PS.

It actually would seem kind of dire to have just uploaded a PS and realize that it had some kind of mistake and you had no way to correct it for the rest of the year.

I actually submitted my app to schools with a mediocre PS (adviser was pushing me to get it in) but made some changes during the verification process. Looking at my PDF's from what was sent to the school they received my updated PS, not the original one I submitted so submit that Primary and worry about the PS during the 5-6 weeks you'll wait for verification.