Question about primary application process - DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangezz98

Reaction score
Hi yall! I have a question about the primary app process for DO. My school always focused on MD and I just figured DO followed the same format but I am starting to figure out that is not true. So the DO apps open up in a couple days, do DO apps have to submit to get verified and does it take as long as MD?? I know they do not transmit until June 15th so we have a while.

Does just the transcript getting verified? My transcript has already been received by AACOMAs so I am not sure... please advise!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are throwaway schools. ?
You can't submit your application for verification unless you've chosen at least one school to transmit the application to. Unfortunately, a lot of people haven't finalized their school lists when the date comes around to start submitting applications. So, people will choose a "throwaway school" (a school that you either don't actually care about or that you wouldn't be heartbroken to be rejected from) and submit their applications on day 1. It'll take a few weeks from then until the time applications are actually transmitted to the schools, and in that window people usually finalize their school lists and update their applications with the "real" schools.

Pros:
  • Your application is getting verified while you're still working on your school list and it is ready to transmit on day 1, even if it took you a little bit longer to finalize your school list.
  • If your app changes after you submit (say, you get your MCAT score back and it was significantly lower than you'd expected), you can choose not to add all the additional schools. That way you won't be considered a reapplicant at those schools the next time you apply. You would be considered a reapplicant at your throwaway school, but you don't really care, since it's a throwaway school and all.
Cons:
  • None, really. Unless you're upset about possibly being a reapplicant at your throwaway school. But if you're upset about that, then you picked a bad throwaway school.

Reactions: 1 users
When is it recommended that we submit our primary applications?
-I have already sent transcripts to AACOMAS & MCAT

Currently just working on my PS & Activities section but aiming to submit it by this Friday.

When is it recommended that we submit our primary applications?
-I have already sent transcripts to AACOMAS & MCAT

Currently just working on my PS & Activities section but aiming to submit it by this Friday.
I think it's recommended as early as possible? I am also aiming for Friday :)

hey guys do you know how it works for future hour estimates for activities? I have read a lot of mixed messages, but I am currently working a job and some volunteer activities that I will definitely be working through for the next year, can I really not estimate hours?