Application Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Retro.viridae

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I've been so busy with studying for the MCAT that I haven't even thought about starting an application or anything. But I see all these people posting on Reddit that they're getting secondaries and acceptances. I am taking the MCAT on Aug 3rd. Should I have already started my application? I got LoR's from my professors and had them uploaded to Interfolio, but I haven't really done much else application-wise because I've been solely focused on the MCAT. I figured I could start the application right after my MCAT since I'll have a month before the score comes out.

Also, I keep seeing people post about Casper. Do I need to worry about that right now?

Thanks guys - I'm not in school and don't have a pre-med advisor, so sorry if these are dumb questions.

Members don't see this ad.

I would start thinking about your personal statement and at least open the application so you can see what you all have to do. Maybe when you need a break from studying from the MCAT write a little bit of your personal statement and activities. I also recommend getting your transcripts sent earlier rather than later incase there's any issues.

I'm not sure when it's best to take the Casper. I know not all schools require it so it depends on where you're applying.

Reactions: 1 user
No one is receiving acceptances, unless they’re students getting off the waitlist for the 2018-19 cycle. If you intend on applying this cycle, I would at least work on your application, even if you don’t want to submit to any schools before your MCAT. Like Katie said above, you can just do a little bit at a time.

I wouldn’t worry about Casper unless the DO school you apply to requires you take it. It doesn’t take too long.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I've been so busy with studying for the MCAT that I haven't even thought about starting an application or anything. But I see all these people posting on Reddit that they're getting secondaries and acceptances. I am taking the MCAT on Aug 3rd. Should I have already started my application? I got LoR's from my professors and had them uploaded to Interfolio, but I haven't really done much else application-wise because I've been solely focused on the MCAT. I figured I could start the application right after my MCAT since I'll have a month before the score comes out.

Also, I keep seeing people post about Casper. Do I need to worry about that right now?

Thanks guys - I'm not in school and don't have a pre-med advisor, so sorry if these are dumb questions.

I'm going to go against the grain here - don't worry about AACOMAS or your PS (unless you have free time) until after your test day. Focus on doing as well as you possibly can on the MCAT.

AACOMAS is very straightforward to fill out. It is relatively mindless to have your transcripts sent over. It is monotonous (but easy) to enter all of your coursework. Most of it is secretary-style work.

The issue is in describing your ECs and writing your PS. Both of these activities can be very thought-intensive (and you could end up spending many hours thinking about how to word everything and crafting your story). You might find yourself dodging your MCAT prep for sake of editing your PS and EC descriptions.

However, you might want to consider registering for CASPer sooner. Not because it is time consuming test, but because you'll want to reserve your "seat" for right after your MCAT. It takes ~3 weeks for CASPer to be scored, so you'll want your score to become available around the time that your MCAT is released.

If you till after your exam to register for CASPer, you might end up waiting several weeks AFTER your MCAT just to sit the CASPer. Tack on the ~3 weeks it takes them to score you and you've further delayed your application.

I took my MCAT in mid-May (after applications had opened). I decided to save filling out AACOMAS for after my exam and don't regret that decision at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks Kardio! I really appreciate the advice! I feel like you're right and it's probably best to focus my energy on getting the highest MCAT score possible right now and worry about the application later. I won't be able to worry about the application if I bomb the MCAT.

Edit: Mispelled Kardio's username.

Last edited: