apply first day with only step 1 or wait 1 month until step 2ck comes in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bagheera

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This post is for a friend of mine. She only has her step 1 score, US IMG, scored 240 on step 1. Some people have advised her that it is best to wait until her step 2ck score comes in, and then send out applications even if it is late? Because they said many programs will look at the application, and since there is no step 2ck score, they will just put it in the rejection pile, and not ever look at it again? Any advice on what to do or if that is true would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Your "friend" should just apply now. The way that ERAS filters work, a program only looking at IMGs with Steps 1 and 2 won't even see the app until Step 2 is available. Programs that don't require it will see it and may invite "her" now. No harm, no foul.

In general, programs that require both steps will simply "filter" her application. It won't be processed at all until her score comes in. In that case, it probably doesn't matter whether she applies early or waits for her score. Some programs may not care -- and in that case, applying early makes sense. So, I'd simply apply when she is ready, and then wait for her score.

Edit - GutOnc's advice popped up while I wrote this. Great minds think alike!

Depends on AMG vs. IMG.

If its an IMG, dont bother. Nearly all IMGs who did that last year got burned cause of no ECFMG Certification. Its almost an unspoken requirement now for IMGs to even get interviews.

Really cdi? Where did u get tht from? My friend a us img apply 300 places and had 30 iv. He had all his scores In when he first applied though.

Really cdi? Where did u get tht from? My friend a us img apply 300 places and had 30 iv. He had all his scores In when he first applied though.

Sorry, my wording error, that is correct. One should be ECFMG 'Verified' not Certified when you first apply to have a real shot.

Verified: All scores in. Step 1, CK, CS

Certified: All scores + diploma + transcript in.

Reactions: 1 user