Applying to German medical school through studienkolleg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

francelow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all ! I have read through many posts but still unable to find any threads that will answer my doubts.

Here's my story, I am a fresh diploma graduate (equivalent to associate degree in US) in Environmental sciences from Singapore with GPA of 3.0. However, a polytechnic diploma is not equivalent to German Abitur. I had checked about my eligibility for German medical schools and found out that I need to attend studienkolleg in Germany in order to be eligible for Medical school. My questions are:

1. How hard is it to get into M course in studienkolleg ?

2. Do German medical schools conduct interviews or situational tests as part of their selection process ?

3. Do you require voluntarism/ humanitarian work experience or exceptionally good CCA portfolio/resume as part of the selection criteria ?

4. If I completed M course in studienkolleg, will I be considered as the local students application(since I am applying with a german qualification) or I am considered as foreigner application ?

5. How competitive can it gets for a foreigner to get into medical schools like LMU or Heidelberg University ?

I would really appreciate all your advices :)

Members don't see this ad.

Are you proficient in the German language? If yes, then you do not have to attend studienkolleg to my knowledge. In fact, it's the first time I'm hearing about it altogether! In general, German Universities do not conduct interviews as part of their selection process. Like never. Studying medicine is highly competetive in Germany. If you apply as a first semester student, you have to apply through hochschulstart.de . There are many German students who study medicine in Italy, Hungary, Poland etc., because they are rejeted in Germany. I don't want to discourage you.

I am not proficient in German and am taking B1 level of German currently. I intend to take up to C1 German course before departing to Germany for medical studies. Based on the admission office, I am required to take M course in studienkolleg as my diploma is not equivalent to German Abitur. I have a question though, how does German medical schools shortlist applicants without any entrance examinations or interviews ? On what basis or criteria do they select the applicants ? Academic results, portfolio, clinical exposure etc ?

Furthermore, I read some threads mentioning about getting a nursing internship before applying for medical school in Germany to boost their curriculum vitae in order to increase the chances of admission to medical school. Is it reliable ? If so, how does one sign up for such nursing internship in Germany ? Is there any requirement for such internship ?

If I am placed on waiting list for medical school due to numerus clausus, how long does it takes on average for me to enter medical school ? For example LMU or Heidelberg medical school ?

I am very keen on studying medicine in Germany so I would like to understand how their education system works. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In Germany, the applicants are matched to a medical school in Germany by hochschulstart.de . This is similar to the National Resident Matching Program in the U.S., only not for residency but for med school.

- 20% of places are given to those with the best Abitur GPA
- 20% of places are given to those who have been waiting to be accepted to medical school for a long time ( nowadays you have to wait ~ 6 years, or more)
- 60% of applicants are chosen directly by the University. It states that this is what they look for, in this order: (1) Abitur GPA, (2) individual subject grades, (3) If the University offers a test, the results of this test, or the results of the TMS test, (4) Whether of not the applicant has prior qualification in the medical field as e.g. a nurse

http://www.hochschulstart.de/index.php?id=515

I know that there are at least 300 German medical students going to Latvia / each 1st semester to start studying medicine there, since they have been denied entrance in Germany. These students will later try to transfer to Germany, most commonly after 2nd year, before the actual clinical practise starts. Becaue, as you know, in Germany the initial 2 years of med school are almost entirely theoretical. Of course depending on what Uni we're talking about, since many Universities do try to expose their students to the clinical environment much earlier now.

I like the idea of you coming to Germany. It's always nice to have new people coming to Germany!! And if you work on it, I'm sure you can make it! Good luck!

Konzentrier dich noch ein bisschen darauf deine Deutschkenntnisse zu polieren, besonders medizinisches Fachvokabular, denn das wirst du im Studium brauchen. :)

I've never heard of a single German medical school conducting interviews.

Concerning your 4th Q, try asking at studienkolleg directly, or at the Universities (Studiensekretariat).

Heidelberg is considered THE best address to study medicine in Germany. I'm unable to provide information on how many foreigners they accept, but I highly recommend you contact them because they would help you out. I tend to think they happily accept foreigners, as long as qualification is provided.

Hi all ! I have read through many posts but still unable to find any threads that will answer my doubts.

Here's my story, I am a fresh diploma graduate (equivalent to associate degree in US) in Environmental sciences from Singapore with GPA of 3.0. However, a polytechnic diploma is not equivalent to German Abitur. I had checked about my eligibility for German medical schools and found out that I need to attend studienkolleg in Germany in order to be eligible for Medical school. My questions are:

1. How hard is it to get into M course in studienkolleg ?

2. Do German medical schools conduct interviews or situational tests as part of their selection process ?

3. Do you require voluntarism/ humanitarian work experience or exceptionally good CCA portfolio/resume as part of the selection criteria ?

4. If I completed M course in studienkolleg, will I be considered as the local students application(since I am applying with a german qualification) or I am considered as foreigner application ?

5. How competitive can it gets for a foreigner to get into medical schools like LMU or Heidelberg University ?

I would really appreciate all your advices :)

Studying medicine is highly competitive in Germany. Though there are several ways through which you can make it a little easier for yourself. For that knowledge, you are required to contact a genuine German education consultant. When it comes to the Studienkolleg course, one does not require to it if s/he is proficient in the German language. For further details, always get in touch with a German education consultant as it will help you to land in better decisions.