Applying w.o a committee letter and below average MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dudblue12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post because I am now in a weird situation with my application and looking for some advice. I am almost done with my amcas 2017 primary application, but I recently received my MCAT score and got a 507 (128/125/127/127) which is not terrible but it just missed the mark for my HPO interview so I was subsequently disqualified. I was only looking to apply to lower tier schools and my top choices are the ones in state (NJ). Currently I also have a 3.91 cGPA and a 3.89 sGPA and I think I have decent recommendation letters from 6 of my professors and a diverse range of ECs from shadowing to research. I believe I am also getting a letter packet instead of a committee letter because I don't meet the academic requirements. If I were to apply before August this cycle would I still be relatively okay? Or should I suck it up and take the MCAT again to try to get an HPO letter for the next cycle? Thank you for helping me out :)

Members don't see this ad.

You have a nearly perfect GPA and your school won't write you a committee letter just because you did slightly below average on the MCAT? That seems awfully slimy to me. The one thing I find somewhat concerning is that your AMCAS isn't submitted yet, given that it's almost August and a great many people will have already submitted their secondaries by now. You should wait for some advice from more informed people regarding the timing of the application. That being said, I don't think your MCAT score will hold you back that much as long as you apply intelligently. I've heard that Cooper doesn't place too high a priority on the MCAT, for example. Applying to New Jersey schools and DO programs should get you an acceptance with those numbers assuming your extracurriculars are up to snuff.

I've read that if its in July then it should still be okay, although I know I'm pushing it but it's because I've written my PS 3 times already haha. And they raised the bar pretty high ever since the new MCAT which is why I just missed it :(