Are residencies regionally biased?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qqw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from the northwest, but I'm attending school in the southwest. I do want to return to the northwest to practice. Wondering if my decision to attend a school in the southwest will hurt my chances..

- In general, do residencies prefer applicants with strong ties to the area over graduates that do not? Do they even care where you're from or where you attended school?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

In your situation you're fine. You have ties to the area. I was repeatedly asked about my ties to various places and think it must okay at least some role. It's not like you have to provide proof of residence though. You can always say "I'm looking forward to coming home" in a less corny way!

Reactions: 1 user
Residencies are as regionally biased as the people in charge of them. Some will be massively so and some won't care at all. It is entirely an individual thing

Although I will say that I saw more of it on the coasts while interviewing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from the northwest, but I'm attending school in the southwest. I do want to return to the northwest to practice. Wondering if my decision to attend a school in the southwest will hurt my chances..

- In general, do residencies prefer applicants with strong ties to the area over graduates that do not? Do they even care where you're from or where you attended school?

Thanks.

They do tend to get applicant from that area so are more familiar with schools around that area

I have always thought it was odd when an OPTI from a certain school never took students (far away residency in proximity to school) or always took students (program close to school) from its affiliated school.

I've found the regional bias to be real when I applied. Once more than a 300 mile distance from my school, my chance of an interview dropped by about 75%. But if you are from or have ties to the area, you can make that clear in the personal statement that you send to the schools in that area. They do read those and my friends have seen considerably better yields than I if they mention specific ties to that area or if their mailing address is from that area.