Are you getting burned out with secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've submitted 18, but I applied to 43 schools...so a lot of work to be done. At least I got my first interview invite this week. :)

43 MD schools?!

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone taking more than 2 weeks to get theirs submitted? Someone tell me I'm not the only one falling behind please lol
You are not alone. Tried to prewrite and failed miserably. The outline and ideas changed after the first five. Now I want to go back and rewrite the first few. Still have 3 more here on my desk and waiting to hear back if I get the luxury of doing a few more. However it is giving me something to focus on. Soon I will be fixed to my computer screen hoping for an interview invite or dreading the rejection. Sigh.

Reactions: 1 user
You are not alone. Tried to prewrite and failed miserably. The outline and ideas changed after the first five. Now I want to go back and rewrite the first few. Still have 3 more here on my desk and waiting to hear back if I get the luxury of doing a few more. However it is giving me something to focus on. Soon I will be fixed to my computer screen hoping for an interview invite or dreading the rejection. Sigh.

Oh please, you arent gonna get rejected from many places with a 34 and 3.9 lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I've submitted 18, but I applied to 43 schools...so a lot of work to be done. At least I got my first interview invite this week. :)
Wow. I'm applying to 37, which is already overwhelming, but 43 sounds impossible to me. Good work @.@
SDN in a box. Also why I have friends who think I'm crazy for reading SDN. That's...a lot of schools...

Good luck to you all! No idea where you got the money from to apply to 40+ schools and why that would be necessary but ok!

SDN in a box. Also why I have friends who think I'm crazy for reading SDN. That's...a lot of schools...

Good luck to you all! No idea where you got the money from to apply to 40+ schools and why that would be necessary but ok!

For me, (1) I have a fee waiver, which helps, and (2) I'm really paranoid about not getting into any schools because of my discordant stats, so I'm trying to be safe. Maybe I'm being overly safe, but it can't hurt, right?

Reactions: 1 users
For me, (1) I have a fee waiver, which helps, and (2) I'm really paranoid about not getting into any schools because of my discordant stats, so I'm trying to be safe. Maybe I'm being overly safe, but it can't hurt, right?
Ah yeah fee waiver is a lifesaver. I still think you could save money on some of those, though! But maybe to be Eevee, you need a lot of choices :kiss:

Just added another 2 mid tier schools to my list. I feel like Ruxin tinkering with my lineup at the last moment...

What is considered the cut off for high tier/mid/low?
For me, I generally base it off a mixture of rankings and MCAT. High tier are schools with high median MCATs (38-35), generally ranked in the top 20. Mid tier are schools that are more 20-60 in ranking, with median MCAT more like 34-31. Low tier are the rest, 60 and greater with median MCAT 31 or below, i.e. like the new MD schools. But that's just my opinion (And only applies to MD programs, not exactly sure how to evaluate DO programs)

Just finished duke's secondary so now im done with my reach schools (Columbia, duke, emory). I feel like it's smooth sailing from here. Just waiting to receive three more secondaries and then ill be done.

Have kept under the 2 week period for nearly all of my schools thus far, but 2 out of my 13 submitted were like 2.5 weeks...Am I being neurotic?!?! :p I really didn't want to rush them and slap some replies down!

Have kept under the 2 week period for nearly all of my schools thus far, but 2 out of my 13 submitted were like 2.5 weeks...Am I being neurotic?!?! :p I really didn't want to rush them and slap some replies down!
Yeah, the 2 week thing is more of a general ballpark to keep within. No one is really going to notice the secondary date unless it was like a month late or something I don't think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im getting burned out here as well, glad im down to the last few. I left out 7-8 secondaries due to cost and low yield, money is getting tight financing summer courses, interviews and secondaries. I have 20 secondaries out of 25 completed. Its been a looooong summer with work, classes amd secondaries.

Definently getting burned out, have about 14 of 20 down so almost there. Its always nice when you have a secondary that doesn't have any essays though!

It would be a lot simpler if my 2 remaining LOR writers would respond to my emails and tell me if they have submitted them yet or not, that way I could make the decision to just go on without them. But for now, I am just in limbo.

Just read another thread where the OP said he got secondaries before he was verified...is this possible? Getting neurotic now and feel like I have missed something major

Getting seriously burnt out as well! But I have crossed off a couple schools from my list so now I only have 4 left...

I've saved all my annoying secondaries for now: CWRU and NYU, here I come :p

Just read another thread where the OP said he got secondaries before he was verified...is this possible? Getting neurotic now and feel like I have missed something major
I got two or three before I was verified. It depends on the school.

Is anyone taking more than 2 weeks to get theirs submitted? Someone tell me I'm not the only one falling behind please lol

I've definitely not submitted all of my secondaries within two weeks of receipt. Hopefully it doesn't matter too much.

What was worse guys, studying for the MCAT or writing secondaries?

Personally, MCAT study was much more time consuming, but certainly less hellish.

Personally, MCAT study was much more time consuming, but certainly less hellish.

Yeah, definitely writing secondaries has been worse. I spent a LOT of time studying for the MCAT, but it's so much more predictable. With secondaries sometimes you feel like you're just tossing your chances at the wind.

Preparing for Quizbowl nationals was harder...

LOL doesn't even compare. These secondaries are a breeze compared to the MCAT.

LOL doesn't even compare. These secondaries are a breeze compared to the MCAT.

I actually disagree :joyful: I would much rather be working on science and test taking than writing these stupid essays!

It's different stress. With the MCAT, there were plenty of times when I was legitimately unsure of how I would perform and if I could score well enough to get into medical school. That kind of stress/pressure I wouldn't wish on anyone! With these secondaries, I really just feel like it's an endless chore that I have no motivation to do lol. Plus, with II's rolling in it makes it difficult to keep writing them!

Reactions: 4 users
I would rather write 40 more secondaries than go through those 8 hours again lol

I would rather write 40 more secondaries than go through those 8 hours again lol

You missed out on the 2 hours and 45 minutes of fun that I had on the 2014 one! Big reason for picking the old exam

I feel you. The first secondary wave I submitted was close to the 2-week deadline but I'm getting burned out so now, my secondaries are not submitted until after 3-4 weeks :(. Sadly, most of these are for the UCs. Yikes!

Reactions: 3 users
I feel you. The first secondary wave I submitted was close to the 2-week deadline but I'm getting burned out so now, my secondaries are not submitted until after 3-4 weeks :(. Sadly, most of these are for the UCs. Yikes!
I'm nearing the 1 month mark for 2 of my secondaries :( at least we're not alone!

Reactions: 2 users

And i was freaking out about being 2 weeks and 1 day lolz

Reactions: 2 users
I powered through like 44 secondaries last year in about 1 week (took time off from work), then went on a freaking vacation that was overdue like woah. Barely kept my sanity together the entire year. I won't sugarcoat it. If you're going to do a ton of secondaries, it's going to be rough going.

Keep your wits about you.

I powered through like 44 secondaries last year in about 1 week (took time off from work), then went on a freaking vacation that was overdue like woah. Barely kept my sanity together the entire year. I won't sugarcoat it. If you're going to do a ton of secondaries, it's going to be rough going.

Keep your wits about you.
44 in a week? You lie

Man you guys have it rough. Im doing PA application right now and I lhave barely any secondaries. You guys have my admiration lol.

44 in a week? You lie

Sure it was a little longer than that, but I did the bulk of them by treating them like a full time job. I regularly worked 60hrs at my gig so I chose to treat them like that and knock them out. I was miserable after.

Prompt: "Tell us about a time you failed"

Me: "Does not coming up with an idea for this essay count?"

I sympathize with everyone who has written secondaries whilst balancing work obligations...I have 30 secondaries, 25 of which are now complete. I have been fortunate to not have to do full-time work, only part time and some research here and there. With "all of that to do", I feel "slightly" worn from doing all these secondary applications.

I commend all of you on your hard work, especially the ones who must do secondaries in addition to the more important obligations of putting food on the table!

For the record though, I know someone who applied to 50+ schools. Overkill much?

Friend of mine applied to 104. I am not kidding, one-hundred and four.

That many secondaries would still be completely miserable if you didnt have a job and could work on them full time with your parents paying all application fees.

What the hell man...

That many secondaries would still be completely miserable if you didnt have a job and could work on them full time with your parents paying all application fees.

What the hell man...

Sums up my reaction exactly.

So that's pushing $15,000 for primaries and secondaries alone assuming average secondary cost of $100. wot

Submitted 30 so far... Got about 10 or so more to go. It gets easier as you go. Most of the essays I have written in the last week are only 75% new content, the rest is just a mashup of previous stuff I have written in the past 3 weeks.

Props to you guys... I couldn't even handle 18 and dropped 3 schools that had hard secondaries that I really didn't want to go to. I am working full time though at least.

Props to you guys... I couldn't even handle 18 and dropped 3 schools that had hard secondaries that I really didn't want to go to. I am working full time though at least.

I'm working "Part Time" (really full time....) and I'm killing myself with these secondaries. If I do every single one, it will be around 40 schools.

Last edited:
Submitted 30 so far... Got about 10 or so more to go. It gets easier as you go. Most of the essays I have written in the last week are only 75% new content, the rest is just a mashup of previous stuff I have written in the past 3 weeks.

This. For the most part I have content I can search through and find from other prompts I have done, then just minimally tailor then. It's much harder when you had to start from scratch