Are you guys normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillinillinkillin007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously I'm not trolling. Are you guys normal? It seems as if numerous people on this forum and lots of premeds I meet are so out of touch with reality. Their life is so focused on "medicine" and nothing else. I understand a physician's life revolves around their career but some premeds wake up and go to sleep thinking about their application. Asking if this will look good on their application, squeezing in hours at a soup kitchen to boast up their chances, and all this nonsense. No hobbies outside of school and no friends outside of medicine.

To top it off they are not even smart. They just memorize a bunch of BS and spit it back on a piece of paper. Then they go around floating to all their peers saying they are going to be a neurosurgeon when they are older which is completely laughable. Like extremely laughable. They are so out of touch with how the real world works or even how healthcare works. But physicians I meet are nothing like premed students. When do these students mature or do they ever?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 14 users
I have found that once my students set foot on campus, the instantly lose the pre-med gunner mentality.

Seriously, you really expect normal, rational mature behavior about of any 18-22 year old, regardless of professional interest???

Step away from the computer tonight.

When do these students mature or do they ever?[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 26 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously I'm not trolling. Are you guys normal? It seems as if numerous people on this forum and lots of premeds I meet are so out of touch with reality. Their life is so focused on "medicine" and nothing else. I understand a physician's life revolves around their career but some premeds wake up and go to sleep thinking about their application. Asking if this will look good on their application, squeezing in hours at a soup kitchen to boast up their chances, and all this nonsense. No hobbies outside of school and no friends outside of medicine.

To top it off they are not even smart. They just memorize a bunch of BS and spit it back on a piece of paper. Then they go around floating to all their peers saying they are going to be a neurosurgeon when they are older which is completely laughable. Like extremely laughable. They are so out of touch with how the real world works or even how healthcare works. But physicians I meet are nothing like premed students. When do these students mature or do they ever?
Are you questioning the Raison d'être of SDN??! How dare you!!! I am reporting you to @Lee at once! You're shocked that people trying to get into med school are on SDN talking about getting into med school. Shocking.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
i love medicine, but even then there's so much more to life than medicine to talk about and explore. I'm fine dedicating my life to it, but the obsession stuff takes it way too far. Dedicating your life to one thing alone is depressing.

Reactions: 3 users
But physicians I meet are nothing like premed students. When do these students mature or do they ever?
That's bc they're not premeds anymore. They've finished med school, residency, and have gone on and practiced.

Reactions: 8 users
Most pre-meds I know actually AREN'T like how you've described, they are normal people with hobbies and interests out of medicine; naturally though, this career path is a big commitment and it eats a chunk out of your life. I think you've just been spending too much time on SDN. Don't let it get to you.

Reactions: 7 users
People on this forum aren't your average pre-med students for the most part. Me, personally, I think I'm pretty average. I play video games, lift as exercise three times a week, play pick up basketball with my friends, and see my girlfriend once every two weeks (2.5 hours apart :/). I also don't have top-10 medical school aspirations, though. People with that desire are more likely to come across the way you've explained. This doesn't mean they aren't normal. Normal is an arbitrary term used to make people feel comfortable. So, above-average may be the better way of wording this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
lol almost no one on this website is normal

Reactions: 12 users
I would say I am a beast. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I am not normal. But that's why I love medicine. Patients are totally not normal, either. I had a patient scream for security and made the nurses panic when I said we only had turkey, but no ham sandwiches. "It's TOO DRY!" There's a Russian resident who calls these "chipotle people." The way he says it sounds kind of like chipotle pepper. A play on words?

Reactions: 1 user
1) Normal is arbitrary

2) The pre-meds I know are not at all like this. They would much rather not think about their apps 24/7 lol Besides the crazies on SDN I'm not sure who you hang around that got your internet panties in a bunch lol

3) Do NOT let SDN get to you. Seriously. It's the internet, lighten up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would actually say that most pre-meds I know fit that description in undergrad. Certainly not all of them, but most of them. Interestingly enough, it was the people not like that that seemed to have the most success when it came to applying and now choosing a field.

I dunno, hopefully I'm not out of touch with reality but I think I'm fairly normal, along with all my friends who are pre-med. All of us have the mentality of hoping to just get in SOMEHWHERE and then worry about specialties and whatever later. We don't neurotically talk about medicine either, just share stories and talk about future plans when the topic comes up.

I have a lot of friends who aren't pre-med and like to get away from the pre-med life (studying, volunteering, etc) when I can.

I haven't met any really neurotic or no-life pre-meds in person. Just people who are lazy piles saying they want to be a doctor but aren't putting in any effort. Knew someone in high school (not really a friend) who wanted to be an anesthesiologist. Heard a couple weeks ago he failed out of his college and is now a plumber's apprentice or something

Being normal doesn't get you into the nba or nfl. You have to be a freak athlete. Being normal doesn't get you into Harvard. You have to be pretty freaking smart. Being normal doesn't make you a mob boss. You have to be a pretty freaking good criminal. Being normal doesn't give you a tech startup. You have to be a freak about computers.

What I am trying to say here is that you have to be a freak to achieve only then will you break societal barriers and restrictions and crack the game of life.

Or you can be normal and have a 9-5. 2.1 kids, and die leaving a meaningless life at 75.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 9 users
Being normal doesn't get you into the nba or nfl. You have to be a freak athlete. Being normal doesn't get you into Harvard. You have to be pretty freaking smart. Being normal doesn't make you a mob boss. You have to be a pretty freaking good criminal. Being normal doesn't give you a tech startup. You have to be a freak about computers.

What I am trying to say here is that you have to be a freak to achieve only then will you break societal barriers and restrictions and crack the game of life.

Or you can be normal and have a 9-5. 2.1 kids, and die leaving a meaningless life at 75.

Many people who "crack the game of life" do not die happy. What counts as a meaningful life can only be determined by yourself. I actually think more people in the type of lifestyle you seem to despise are far more satisfied at the end than the tech startups, or "mob bosses" ever are.

Tl;dr you will never be able to make a sweeping generalization about what it is to have a meaningful life.

Reactions: 6 users
I don't think there are many pre-meds like that at my school actually. Most of them seem like normal college kids on the outside but with a lot of nervousness and insecurities bubbling underneath. Among the weird ones, there are probably more psychonauts than gunners. And everyone's pretty modest (due to the crippling insecurities thing).

I'm not normal by any standard, but that had absolutely nothing to do with medicine :laugh: I'm just not cut out for the white picket fence, the wife and kids, small talk about sports, and watching sitcoms and reality TV until the next day of my 9-5 starts. Lord knows I've tried, but it just ain't for me.

Was never a crazy premed gunner though. Except that one time. That was awful.

Many people who "crack the game of life" do not die happy. What counts as a meaningful life can only be determined by yourself. I actually think more people in the type of lifestyle you seem to despise are far more satisfied at the end than the tech startups, or "mob bosses" ever are.

Tl;dr you will never be able to make a sweeping generalization about what it is to have a meaningful life.
So what is your definition of a meaningful life if it doesn't include success?

Most pre-meds are going pro in something other than medicine. Only a fraction of the pre-meds you see will end up in med school.

Furthermore, this site is about pre-med life and med admissions. Although we are sometimes side tracked into conversations about religious practices, weight training, clean eating, and budget travel and a few other outside interests (Who's rooting for Argentina tomorrow?) the reason were here is our interest in pre-med admissions. PM me if you want to talk about knitting. ;)

Reactions: 7 users

I don't mean normal as in average. Obviously, you need to be a smart to enter a top medical school and uniqueness in life has a great value. I mean normal as if being able to hold a conversation with an average human being. Normal means having a spine and some confidence and not worrying about every minor detail in life. Like I seen a previous SDN poster mention that she handed in an A on an orgo exam for a regrade to gain an extra point or two from problems that she changed, but then she got caught. Like WTF? Like seriously WTF! Are you crazy? And the more I think about it, lot of premeds are like this.

I'm not talking about normal as being an average joe. I mean normal as having level headed head and a functioning brain. Able to think before you act and being realistic.

So what is your definition of a meaningful life if it doesn't include success?

One that includes happiness, perhaps. Success doesn't make you happy- it's a means to an end. If you reach the end of the road with a pile of money but no one that gives a damn about you and a miserable life outside of your chosen career (and possibly within it as well- just because you are good at something doesn't mean you have to like doing it) then what was it all for? What did you "win" by forsaking all the things normal people do that bring them happiness? Some stacks of paper you can't take with you? Some toys that joylessly distract you?

Success isn't the point, kid.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't mean normal as in average. Obviously, you need to be a smart to enter a top medical school and uniqueness in life has a great value. I mean normal as if being able to hold a conversation with an average human being. Normal means having a spine and some confidence and not worrying about every minor detail in life. Like I seen a previous SDN poster mention that she handed in an A on an orgo exam for a regrade to gain an extra point or two from problems that she changed, but then she got caught. Like WTF? Like seriously WTF! Are you crazy? And the more I think about it, lot of premeds are like this.

I'm not talking about normal as being an average joe. I mean normal as having level headed head and a functioning brain. Able to think before you act and being realistic.

You know, what you are saying is pretty offensive. Most people, including SDNers are very normal by your definitions. Who have you met who is unable to hold up a conversation? People who have known me professionally for years don't know that I am pre med until I tell them I am off to medical school this year. I rarely know when I am talking to a pre med when I meet new summer students joining our lab, and I don't make assumptions until I ask.

All you can do is worry about yourself and make sure you are a regular person who others want to be around. Currently, you are coming off very judgmental, rude, and arrogant. You seem to see other premeds as less than "average human beings".

Reactions: 5 users
Most of the ones I've met at my undergrad that boast about how they ARE going to be a doctor and go to so and so med school and be so amazing etc etc are the ones that don't end up making the grades and getting in. The only 3 people from my university that got in this year (myself included) never talked about it. We always focused on the now and what to do to get there and I'd let myself daydream on rare occasion if I had some downtime. Otherwise, if anyone asked me I always said "well, I just want to get in first, then we can talk about the rest". Don't let the premed gunners bother you, most of them don't have what it takes anyways.

Reactions: 6 users

The only premed I knew who said she was going to be a brain surgeon, is a PA now.

Reactions: 1 users
Most pre-meds are going pro in something other than medicine. Only a fraction of the pre-meds you see will end up in med school.

Furthermore, this site is about pre-med life and med admissions. Although we are sometimes side tracked into conversations about religious practices, weight training, clean eating, and budget travel and a few other outside interests (Who's rooting for Argentina tomorrow?) the reason were here is our interest in pre-med admissions. PM me if you want to talk about knitting. ;)

#goargentina
#germanyisoverrated #stopthemannschaftmania

Lol that's called a competition, neuroticism, and a desire to be the best. Successful people including athletes, CEOs, and professionals all share these similar traits. Are these people capable to hold a conversation?

Or you know like jay a said "conspiracy theorists crying out illuminati. They can't believe so much skill exists in a human body" in other words, you think that we are antisocial freaks that can't hold a conversation based sole on the fact that we are driven, thirsty for success, and seek more out of life. People that hate are just jealous of our successes and drive. These same people may be satisfied with their plebeian lives but we seek more and make respective sacrifices..

So if you can't handle the pressure and heat that people exert on these forums then gtfo and go back to your "normal" friends.

One that includes happiness, perhaps. Success doesn't make you happy- it's a means to an end. If you reach the end of the road with a pile of money but no one that gives a damn about you and a miserable life outside of your chosen career (and possibly within it as well- just because you are good at something doesn't mean you have to like doing it) then what was it all for? What did you "win" by forsaking all the things normal people do that bring them happiness? Some stacks of paper you can't take with you? Some toys that joylessly distract you?

Success isn't the point, kid.

Wtf is the definition of normal??? Stop using that word because it is a relative, ambiguous term that has no true meaning..

Further, the definition of happiness varies per person. Rather, you should be arguing about what a person's self awareness and what they want out of their lives. For some that may be a 9-5 with a family and 2.1 kids. For some it may be a desire to change the course of humanity through technology or art. For others it may be just about money. So don't try to put a definition on what happiness and success because it varies.

For me, I want to achieve the most success that I can achieve and not let anyone or anything get in the way including people, societal restrictions, race, gender, and money.

You know, what you are saying is pretty offensive. Most people, including SDNers are very normal by your definitions. Who have you met who is unable to hold up a conversation? People who have known me professionally for years don't know that I am pre med until I tell them I am off to medical school this year. I rarely know when I am talking to a pre med when I meet new summer students joining our lab, and I don't make assumptions until I ask.

All you can do is worry about yourself and make sure you are a regular person who others want to be around. Currently, you are coming off very judgmental, rude, and arrogant. You seem to see other premeds as less than "average human beings".

Who has found offensive to what I'm saying? Only you since you clearly are sensitive in the issue. I asked a simple question from my observation and it seems as many people agree. If you ever backstab your friends to gain yourself an advantage in the admissions process I view you as less than an "average human being", and many premeds on this forum have contemplated on doing so or shared stories of others.

Wtf is the definition of normal??? Stop using that word because it is a relative, ambiguous term that has no true meaning..

Also the definition of normal according to Webster Dictionary : "mentally and physically healthy"

A number of premeds I met are definitely not mentally healthy.

Who has found offensive to what I'm saying? Only you since you clearly are sensitive in the issue. I asked a simple question from my observation and it seems as many people agree. If you ever backstab your friends to gain yourself an advantage in the admissions process I view you as less than an "average human being", and many premeds on this forum have contemplated on doing so or shared stories of others.

Also the definition of normal according to Webster Dictionary : "mentally and physically healthy"

Premeds certainly don't have a monopoly on poor mental health...just wait for your psych clerkship...

I thought that I was a pretty normal pre-med. I followed what my pre-med advisor told me. I did the bare minimum to get into medical school, led a normal life as a pre-med, and got in. Yet people on this website think that I'm very abnormal.

There's a very specific type of cookie-cutter mentality that's present on SDN. Yet if you call anyone a cookie-cutter, they will be incredibly offended. It's painfully obvious.

So you are saying that the people on here are all mentally unstable? Desire to achieve success according to ones own definition does not equal mentally unstable you *****.

Is anyone on the Internet normal?

So you are saying that the people on here are all mentally unstable? Desire to achieve success according to ones own definition does not equal mentally unstable you *****.

Lol, no. Bro, chill. CLEARLY, you are sensitive on this issue. I asked a simple question and I never said you are mentally unstable. I said many premeds I met are not mentally healthy. Stop being so sensitive and grow some thick skin. Some people on this forum are extremely bright and rational people such as NickNaylor, LizzyM, Planes2Doc, etc. (the list is endless).

Also when did I ever say "desire to achieve success equals mentally unstable"?

And gtfo with that drake picture. Respect some real rappers and not some marketable gimmicks.

Lol, no. Bro, chill. CLEARLY, you are sensitive on this issue. I asked a simple question and I never said you are mentally unstable. I said many premeds I met are not mentally healthy. Stop being so sensitive and grow some thick skin. Some people on this forum are extremely bright and rational people such as NickNaylor, LizzyM, Planes2Doc, etc. (the list is endless).

And gtfo with that drake picture. Respect some real rappers and not some marketable gimmicks.
I can't knock anyone for their musical taste. But when I was a lil' kid (yes I'm older than most here), normal rappers looked like this:
image.jpg

First of all, snoop doggy dogg is a washed up artist that is not relevant anymore in music or culture. He made one good album produced by dre which guarantees a hit.

Second, I am responding for the pre meds that you claim are mentally unhealthy. You claim that a person fighting for more points as being not normal which you defined as being mentally unstable..

Thirdly go listen to so far gone, comeback season, and take care. He is one of the few artists that actually writes his own lyrics and in fact has written for jay z, Jamie fox, Beyoncé, Justin timberlake. So you gtfo with your pothead "rapper" with one good album. You underestimate drake greatly, most number one hits..how long did it really take him?

You are a judgmental ***** and a troll and you just switched your position by listing people in the forum who you claim are more mentally stable. How could you possibly know that without having met them in person? You obviously lack the drive and determination that the other pre meds have so you put them down by erroneously identifying them as not mentally unstable.

Your argument is completely flawed as your only evidence is based on the small sample size of people you have met..the percentage of mentally unstable people in our population today is just that: a percentage. They may include pre meds, lawyers, housewives, athletes, musicians, senators, and snoop dog. There is no observable correlation between being a neurotic hardworking pre med and being mentally unstable which in fact yet again has not clear definition as it is based on ones interpretation.

I think on any internet community you're gonna get a greater than normal amount of introverted or "weird" individuals. If you're strictly speaking about what you're seeing on this website, are you seriously surprised that a bunch of premeds are talking about premed stuff in the premed section where the mods only allow premed topics?

In my personal experience though, I've met a fair number of SDN people over the interview trail and they're pretty cool people. I've been told that roughly half of the people in my program are on SDN and I don't find any of them weird (except myself).

I don't think posters here are unhealthy or abnormal. People feel free to show their neurotic side and concern troll here and basically everywhere on the Internet. People don't accept this behavior in real life, so where else is there to vent your fears and frustrations about the process? SDN allows people to be too honest, in a sense, and have discussions that just wouldn't happen in a face-to-face conversation.

I would say I am pretty normal. I promised myself I would never turn into the obnoxious premed stereotype, and so far, I have held to that.

OP, you have no qualifications that would allow you to label people as normal/abnormal, and I'm sure that the vast majority of people here as well pre-meds elsewhere are clinically normal. You seem to think of people who are different from you as being "not normal", and I suggest you change this type of thinking, as it won't serve you well in medicine.

Last edited:
you don't have to be "normal" to hold a conversation or to not sweat the details :rofl:

yes, I think many people on SDN are functioning human beings with lives outside of pre-med.. if that's what you mean

I was obsessed with getting into medical school. I don't care about competitive specialties or getting into top-tier academic programs so I'm going to concentrate on having fun, unless it turns out I'm a ***** who has to study 15 hours a day just to pass.