Are you guys normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Neurosis is a class of functional mental disorders involving distress but neither delusions nor hallucinations, whereby behavior is not outside socially acceptable norms. It is also known as psychoneurosis or neurotic disorder, and thus those suffering from it are said to be neurotic." Wikipedia

Being neurotic is not healthy. There are many rational premeds and people on this forum, but it seems as if many are so out of touch with the real world. They live in this little make believe bubble and think they are destined to be some great neurosurgeon or heart surgeon. They sabotage their peers and call it "competition", and they think becoming a physician automatically means they will become happy. Most of these premeds have no clue what they are signing up for but act as if they do. That is why these EC's are somewhat important, but all these neurotic premeds took it to the next level and instead of it being a learning experience it became a stupid box checking competition.

I'm not saying I'm some wise all-knowing premed but god dammit. This is just my opinion and don't take it personally please.

Members don't see this ad.

"Neurosis is a class of functional mental disorders involving distress but neither delusions nor hallucinations, whereby behavior is not outside socially acceptable norms. It is also known as psychoneurosis or neurotic disorder, and thus those suffering from it are said to be neurotic." Wikipedia

Being neurotic is not healthy. There are many rational premeds and people on this forum, but it seems as if many are so out of touch with the real world. They live in this little make believe bubble and think they are destined to be some great neurosurgeon or heart surgeon. They sabotage their peers and call it "competition", and they think becoming a physician automatically means they will become happy. Most of these premeds have no clue what they are signing up for but act as if they do. That is why these EC's are somewhat important, but all these neurotic premeds took it to the next level and instead of it being a learning experience it became a stupid box checking competition.

I'm not saying I'm some wise all-knowing premed but god dammit. This is just my opinion and don't take it personally please.

In my experience, those kinds of premeds generally don't make it into med school.

Reactions: 1 user
I've always found the premed gunner stereotype to be nothing more than a myth. I really don't think premeds are any more narcissistic or single-minded than the average 18-22 year old. While it's true that getting into medical school is competitive, I've never actually met a pre-med on a warpath (I've only heard far-fetched anecdotal stories kept alive by the internet).

Most premeds I meet are actually really nice. Maybe a bit different or more assertive than the average individual, but people tend to expect that from future physicians.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
SDN allows people to be too honest, in a sense, and have discussions that just wouldn't happen in a face-to-face conversation.

Really? If anything, I feel like people on SDN are often being dishonest. This is especially prevalent in EC threads, where I spend the most time. It's so bad that if you say, "I hate volunteering" or make it obvious that you're only doing it for medical school, then you'll be attacked and will be told how you'll be a terrible physician and don't deserve to be one. While no one has attacked me personally on here (thanks to most people for being respectful), I've definitely had my perspectives challenged. Interestingly enough, outside of SDN, almost all of my fellow classmates and friends at other medical schools share my viewpoints. I also enjoying hearing the viewpoints of @circulus vitios and @notbobtrustme , who offer a differing perspective from that of SDN, and is quite refreshing.

[...] There are many rational premeds and people on this forum, but it seems as if many are so out of touch with the real world. [...]

I would say that most college students are out of touch with the real world, especially those who think they aren't out of touch, but that doesn't make these students abnormal.....just young.

Really? If anything, I feel like people on SDN are often being dishonest. This is especially prevalent in EC threads, where I spend the most time. It's so bad that if you say, "I hate volunteering" or make it obvious that you're only doing it for medical school, then you'll be attacked and will be told how you'll be a terrible physician and don't deserve to be one. While no one has attacked me personally on here (thanks to most people for being respectful), I've definitely had my perspectives challenged. Interestingly enough, outside of SDN, almost all of my fellow classmates and friends at other medical schools share my viewpoints. I also enjoying hearing the viewpoints of @circulus vitios and @notbobtrustme , who offer a differing perspective from that of SDN, and is quite refreshing.

Seriously, is there a bigger waste of time than shadowing? Ughhhh...

some pre-meds are whacked..seriously. I still recall from this year an adcom member of uconn med came to talk to our school and this girl in my organic chem class says,
"I am GOING to be a plastic surgeon, so would you say I should ONLY shadow plastic surgeons?"
She was dead serious, the dude from uconn med cracked a smile that was like "bitch please." Haha I am serious. What adds irony to this is I see her the next week at office hours when I go to grab my organic chem midterm flipping **** on prof about, "How did I get a 55 on this exam?! I knew everything on your practice exam.I am going to med school and its extra important I do well in this class blah blah blah" This girl was livid, and I feel like she was probably mentally unstable. Damn pre-meds smh:confused:

When we say pre meds are neurotic..we mean as in Seinfeld neurotic not mental asylum neurotic..how do you expect us to not get offended and display bias..YOU ARE ON A FORUM FOR PRE MEDS...of course we are going to get offended if you call us mentally unstable according to your own poor observations..just take the L troll

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've always found the premed gunner stereotype to be nothing more than a myth. I really don't think premeds are any more narcissistic or single-minded than the average 18-22 year old. While it's true that getting into medical school is competitive, I've never actually met a pre-med on a warpath (I've only heard far-fetched anecdotal stories kept alive by the internet).

Most premeds I meet are actually really nice. Maybe a bit different or more assertive than the average individual, but people tend to expect that from future physicians.

I have had people deny sharing lecture notes with me when I missed due to a documented illness…lol. The gunner thing is no joke

Reactions: 2 users
I have to agree shadowing sucks..is surgery better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've only shadowed a surgeon (orthopedic) and the experience was phenomenal. Also, there was a visiting surgery resident that was explaining the procedures to me during the operations (which was definitely a plus).

I'm a huge sports fan, and I got to see procedures that I've read about for years on ESPN etc. Moreover, the surgeries I observed were all less than an hour (some were 30 minutes). And the repetition was actually better for my learning experience.

Btw, what's your favorite Nas album?

I've only shadowed a surgeon (orthopedic) and the experience was phenomenal. Also, there was a visiting surgery resident that was explaining the procedures to me during the operations (which was definitely a plus).

I'm a huge sports fan, and I got to see procedures that I've read about for years on ESPN etc. Moreover, the surgeries I observed were all less than an hour (some were 30 minutes). And the repetition was actually better for my learning experience.

Btw, what's your favorite Nas album?

Illmatic..although I did enjoy life is good..

I never sleep cause sleep is the cousin of death..

Illmatic has so many quotable lines and is still relevant 20 years later..have you heard the anniversary edition? I haven't had time to listen to it..

Members don't see this ad :)

Even surgeries...

I've heard that it's a lot better when you're a medical student, though, so I'm optimistic.

When we say pre meds are neurotic..we mean as in Seinfeld neurotic not mental asylum neurotic..how do you expect us to not get offended and display bias..YOU ARE ON A FORUM FOR PRE MEDS...of course we are going to get offended if you call us mentally unstable according to your own poor observations..just take the L troll

+1

I have to agree shadowing sucks..is surgery better?

The answer to this is....hell no. :laugh: I only watched a 4 hour hernia repair so I may have a misrepresentation of surgery. I went in wanting to be a surgeon, came out bored out of my mind.

The answer to this is....hell no. :laugh: I only watched a 4 hour hernia repair so I may have a misrepresentation of surgery. I went in wanting to be a surgeon, came out bored out of my mind.

I don't like watching others do stuff..id rather do it myself..

That's it..I am going to a hospital tomorrow and start diagnosing, treating patients, and hitting on nurses.

Illmatic..although I did enjoy life is good..

I never sleep cause sleep is the cousin of death..

Illmatic has so many quotable lines and is still relevant 20 years later..have you heard the anniversary edition? I haven't had time to listen to it..

This rhythmatic explosion, is what your frame of mind has chosen.

I haven't heard the anniversary edition, but I'm pretty sure I've heard all of the songs on the second disc over the years.
There's a specific rare Ain't Hard 2 Tell remix that I had back in the day. I wonder if that's the version on the album.

Have you heard AZ's Doe or Die?! It's one of those under the radar classics.

I am going to be honest..I had never heard him before you...I checked his wiki..damn number 1 most underrated lyricist according to several sources..I'll check him out..

You should check out logic..he has a nas flow with Luda creativity..

I am going to be honest..I had never heard him before you...I checked his wiki..damn number 1 most underrated lyricist according to several sources..I'll check him out..

You should check out logic..he has a nas flow with Luda creativity..

If you're a fan of Illmatic, you'll definitely love Doe or Die.

Edit: I've actually met Nas and AZ on separate occasions.

There's a thread right now on SDN called "Help I'm too scared to open MCAT scores?". You don't see anything wrong with that? To go back to the definition:

"Neurosis is a class of functional mental disorders involving distress but neither delusions nor hallucinations, whereby behavior is not outside socially acceptable norms"

Neurotic individuals are not in a mental asylum, they are functioning in society. Just because you have a mental health issue does not mean you're in an asylum. You think psychiatrists just see people locked up in asylums?

There's a thread right now on SDN called "Help I'm too scared to open MCAT scores?". You don't see anything wrong with that? To go back to the definition:

"Neurosis is a class of functional mental disorders involving distress but neither delusions nor hallucinations, whereby behavior is not outside socially acceptable norms"

Neurotic individuals are not in a mental asylum, they are functioning in society. Just because you have a mental health issue does not mean you're in an asylum. You think psychiatrists just see people locked up in asylums?

That is called nervousness and anxiety. The mcat has to be the single most important that that person has taken yet in their life with respect to their career.

Of course, the person is going to be anxious about opening it. In the past people did not express these concerns to others but the internet makes it a lot easier.

People's neuroticism varies and the graph is left skewed for the results meaning thrat most are on the lower level of the scale not needing clinical help. It is just natural human behavior.

Now back to your orginal argument: the average pre med is not necessarily more neurotic than the average population. Everyone has anxiety issues and personal problems: money, friends, family. Pre meds on the other hand have these issues plus the pressures of maintaining good grades, mcat, ecs etc. now the people that can't handle the pressure quit or don't make it or get very stressed and vent on forums..

you also have to understand that the total sdn users are a very small part of the pre med population..so the ones that are very active post more and browse more heavily tend to be more anxious..again, this is not completely representative of the general pre med pop or fair judgement of all the other users who browse and post on these forums.

In conclusion, most of us are normal and some not but you tend to notice the ones that are not because of observational bias.

Sorry everyone for making this thread so serious and heavy.

Here's a cute cat picture to lighten the mood:

ytavegaq.jpg

Good night.

Reactions: 5 users
@goft20

The title of the thread is "Are you guys normal?" not "You guys are not normal". I was asking a question based on my observations and many people gave legitimate responses but a few posters like yourself became too sensitive with the matter. There's nothing wrong with not being normal, hell I'm a bit different myself. But you cannot tell me with a straight face that the population of premed students are as mentally healthy as any other population of college students.

BTW, drake is not actually bad and I like him. YMCMB is just filled with untalented jokes that ruin rap. And Snoop Dog is not a good artist but he's a icon and legend that deserves respect

@goft20

The title of the thread is "Are you guys normal?" not "You guys are not normal". I was asking a question based on my observations and many people gave legitimate responses but a few posters like yourself became too sensitive with the matter. There's nothing wrong with not being normal, hell I'm a bit different myself. But you cannot tell me with a straight face that the population of premed students are as mentally healthy as any other population of college students.

BTW, drake is not actually bad and I like him. YMCMB is just filled with untalented jokes that ruin rap. And Snoop Dog is not a good artist but he's a icon and legend that deserves respect
I wonder if Snoop would've had the same success if The D.O.C. had better luck (i.e. no career ending car accident).
I'll stop with the rap derails.

I wonder if Snoop would've had the same success if The D.O.C. had better luck (i.e. no career ending car accident).
I'll stop with the rap derails.

Who knows. Dr. Dre made his permanent mark on rap and is on a different level than any of the rappers previous mentioned on this thread. Without him numerous rappers would be nothing. His headphones suck though.

First of all, snoop doggy dogg is a washed up artist that is not relevant anymore in music or culture. He made one good album produced by dre which guarantees a hit.

Second, I am responding for the pre meds that you claim are mentally unhealthy. You claim that a person fighting for more points as being not normal which you defined as being mentally unstable..

Thirdly go listen to so far gone, comeback season, and take care. He is one of the few artists that actually writes his own lyrics and in fact has written for jay z, Jamie fox, Beyoncé, Justin timberlake. So you gtfo with your pothead "rapper" with one good album. You underestimate drake greatly, most number one hits..how long did it really take him?

Drake for GOAT

Not srs but he's being underrated here

Posted using SDN Mobile

Drake for GOAT

Not srs but he's being underrated here

Posted using SDN Mobile

I agree..I really like drake, but can't call him GOAT, that has to go to jay z. His newest album sucked though.

... And then when you slack on retracting for a split second after hour five, you get a big sigh from the attending who proceeds to say "... You had one job, med student."

I wish I were making this up.
What's the point of being such a jerk?

I agree..I really like drake, but can't call him GOAT, that has to go to jay z. His newest album sucked though.

You can't just be a good rapper to be a GOAT. You have to have some influence on the future of rap to be considered a GOAT.

Who knows. Dr. Dre made his permanent mark on rap and is on a different level than any of the rappers previous mentioned on this thread. Without him numerous rappers would be nothing. His headphones suck though.

They have gotten better but way too overpriced...perfect for apples lineup

Ath- m50x ftw

7yvasuna.jpg

They have gotten better but way too overpriced...perfect for apples lineup

Ath- m50x ftw

7yvasuna.jpg

I got the ath-m50's but they don't have a removable cord. did they make a new one?

You can't just be a good rapper to be a GOAT. You have to have some influence on the future of rap to be considered a GOAT.

I agree. Are you saying that drake and jay z haven't made their mark on rap and music in general?

Jay z: has 3 of the top 10 rap albums of all time. Reasonable doubt, renegade, the black album. Brought rap to mainstream, made so many successful business ventures. Also got renegade by eminem and ethered by nas lol

Drake: combine singing and rapping exceptionally well. Killed common's career with one line. Is a raptor fan lmao.

I got the ath-m50's but they don't have a removable cord. did they make a new one?

Yup they added an x to the name and have three new cords with better pleather on the ear cuffs. I HIGHLY recommend them.

... And then when you slack on retracting for a split second after hour five, you get a big sigh from the attending who proceeds to say "... You had one job, med student."

I wish I were making this up.

I'm sorry man. Here's a picture of Fairmount Park to make you feel better...
upload_2014-7-12_20-47-41.jpeg

I agree. Are you saying that drake and jay z haven't made their mark on rap and music in general?

Jay z: has 3 of the top 10 rap albums of all time. Reasonable doubt, renegade, the black album. Brought rap to mainstream, made so many successful business ventures. Also got renegade by eminent and ethered by nas lol

Drake: combine singing and rapping exceptionally well. Killed common's career with one line. Is a raptor fan lmao.

Jay Z has but drake not yet, maybe possibly in the future. You really can't call someone a GOAT when they are still in the prime of their career and still have many years left in them.

Jay Z has but drake not yet, maybe possibly in the future. You really can't call someone a GOAT when they are still in the prime of their career and still have many years left in them.

Yeah, I am not calling drake GOAT. In fact, his most recent album was average. I agree that ymcmb is utter trash. I don't why he doesn't ditch and establish ovo.

Kendrick's next album will be below average. You heard it here first folks. You can goto Compton and quote me on that. It's cool they got mad respect for goft20.

Seriously I'm not trolling. Are you guys normal? It seems as if numerous people on this forum and lots of premeds I meet are so out of touch with reality. Their life is so focused on "medicine" and nothing else. I understand a physician's life revolves around their career but some premeds wake up and go to sleep thinking about their application. Asking if this will look good on their application, squeezing in hours at a soup kitchen to boast up their chances, and all this nonsense. No hobbies outside of school and no friends outside of medicine.

To top it off they are not even smart. They just memorize a bunch of BS and spit it back on a piece of paper. Then they go around floating to all their peers saying they are going to be a neurosurgeon when they are older which is completely laughable. Like extremely laughable. They are so out of touch with how the real world works or even how healthcare works. But physicians I meet are nothing like premed students. When do these students mature or do they ever?

Lol this is hilarious!!!

Feel free to vent your frustrations but you exaggerate about us a little and maybe u just misunderstand our personalities?

I do pretty darn well and much, but I'm aware of my set backs and see so much in just about everyone that I lack. Yet sometimes I hear that people tell others behind my back that I'm full of myself, not that I care much, but I know that those people just misunderstand me.