As a Premed, Feel Obligated To Call Out Unsanitary People?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think the OP's avatar is slightly ironic (or coincidentally, don't care).

That whole Kalima suckdeday thing...think about all the germs that priest guy had on his hand and he just went full force into that guys chest. Totally unsanitary, definitely should have washed up before doing those ceremonies.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like every class lecture I go to, there is someone doing something filthy and disgusting, spreading germs, and unsurprisingly, is usually sick, himself.

Take today's bozo, sitting in front of me, chewing his nails, putting his finger in his mouth, wiping his hands on the desk, and coughing/sniveling.

Other times, people are sick in the library, coughing/sneezing/blowing their nose, yet choosing to go into public and expose other people to their germs.

I don't care what your bad habits are, or whether you have a place to study at home, or not, there are simple things that you don't do.

The next time it happens, I'm going to say something.

What say you?

Good luck with medical school. First 2 years, it'll be your classmates. (Yes, I take exams sick. Sometimes I even go to class sick. You really don't have much choice.) 3rd and 4th year...uh, you're working with SICK people all the time. Good luck avoiding their germs....

OP is in for a big surprise his first time having sex. Can't imagine what his poor partner will have to go through before he or she is deemed clean.

Nah, he'll be sitting in the bathtub afterwards, scrubbing himself, and repeating "Must...Get...Clean"

Members don't see this ad :)
@OP

Just some food for thought.

Assuming you'll become a practicing physician, it will be YOU that is the "disgusting" one spreading germs everywhere, especially when you're sick. Yes, YOU. Do you really think you'll be calling in sick during training or as an attending? I think not. Therefore......(assuming you catch my drift).................

I heard that randoms listen to health criticism from people that declare themselves pre-meds, and take them very seriously

Lysol. Just Lysol everything.

This is how I picture the OP:

Lysol_douche.jpg

Since I've been washing my hands after every class, and using hand sanitizer, I wasn't sick once last year.

Coincidentally, in class, today, I heard that a few of our sports teams have a lot of sick players. Looks like some new sickness is spreading pretty fast.

When I go to the library in a bit, I'll be taking my lysol disinfecting wipes with me. I'll also be using hand sanitizer.

I look forward to preventing the spread of illness, and not becoming ill, myself.

:thumbup:

EDIT: oh, and they disproved the theory that exposing yourself to different bacteria/viruses to strengthen your immune system is a fat load of BS. Isn't there anyone with a background in epidemiology or immune systems on here? You'd think there might be. Oh, and they better ban hand sanitizer at hospitals, and forget that nosocomial infections kill thousands of people a year. While we're at it, let's just start licking door handles, and wiping our lips on exposed surfaces. That's what you're doing when you put your filthy fingers in your mouth in class. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
You do know that the overuse of hand sanitizer and anti-microbial hand and dish soaps is just going to drive up the numbers of anti-microbial resistant strains of bacteria?

You do know that the overuse of hand sanitizer and anti-microbial hand and dish soaps is just going to drive up the numbers of anti-microbial resistant strains of bacteria?
Not to mention hand sanitizer and lysol wipes do nothing to prevent the spread of air-borne infectious agents.....

Not to mention hand sanitizer and lysol wipes do nothing to prevent the spread of air-borne infectious agents.....

...Which are most of the ones OP is trying so hard to avoid. Welp, looks like OP's gettin' sick anyway. Sorry dud.

That's why you would have to rotate different anti-bacterials every couple of weeks, which would require a religious devotion to keep up.

It seems like every class lecture I go to, there is someone doing something filthy and disgusting, spreading germs, and unsurprisingly, is usually sick, himself.

Take today's bozo, sitting in front of me, chewing his nails, putting his finger in his mouth, wiping his hands on the desk, and coughing/sniveling.

Other times, people are sick in the library, coughing/sneezing/blowing their nose, yet choosing to go into public and expose other people to their germs.

I don't care what your bad habits are, or whether you have a place to study at home, or not, there are simple things that you don't do.

The next time it happens, I'm going to say something.

What say you?

Nice trolling attempt there, OP.

You have every right to show them your epic premed powers and your premedical warnings of how unsanitary their behavior is! Premeds are way smarter than med students and residents, so that explains the tough competition!

Members don't see this ad :)
Or made out with a girl (or guy) before? You know making out with someone else is basically like that snotty nosed kid wiping his snot and then shoving his finger in your mouth.

ewwwwwwwy

Alcohol based hand sanitizer does not affect the number of resistant strains of bacteria.

OP take a microbiology class(preferably with a lab where you have to culture your personal items). The person sniffling is the least of your worries when it comes to getting sick/infected and being a compulsive hand washer is probably not really helping anything. I am not saying that you shouldn't wash your hands but calm down. Also hand washing and sanitation in a hospital is a completely different issue than some guy sniffling at a test....

OP,

As a professional pre-med I have several times detained fellow students for this time of behavior. I promptly dial 9-1-1 after hand cuffing them.

I bet this girl scares away boys with her insane obsession with being clean :scared:

lmao, SDN is great, I love this thread just for the responses

Hey, consider it them helping you bolster your immune system!

Yup, nothing's changed, here.

I'm leaving this thread for good, and putting a lot of you onto my ignore list.

I didn't think that stupidity could outdo itself, but it has managed to find a way in this thread. Then again, they did just discover that slime molds do have a memory. Perhap the two are related?

I didn't think that stupidity could outdo itself, but it has managed to find a way in this thread. Then again, they did just discover that slime molds do have a memory. Perhap the two are related?

Perhap they are. But I'm glad that you finally realized how stupid your thread is, Mr. Premed.

Or made out with a girl (or guy) before? You know making out with someone else is basically like that snotty nosed kid wiping his snot and then shoving his finger in your mouth.

surgeon.jpg

problem solved

lol, I hope noone is silly to think that people are dumb for not being obsessed with germs. 99% of the people you'll EVER meet will think like this.

Dude, you started the thread acting like an over-sensitive, pretentious troll, so we can't take you seriously. Maybe if you wised up and know what you're saying, this wouldn't be a problem.

What's bigger? Your ignore list, or the number of people's ignore lists that you are on?

Why isn't there a lounge on this board?

And if any of you think that putting your filthy fingers in your mouth when you're sick, then wiping it on your desk is cool, you've got problems.

In fact, that so many of you seem okay with this behavior makes me think I've stepped back in time to some place right around 9th grade.

I'm reminded constantly why the pre-allo forum is a joke.

You seem well accustomed to taking the words of everyone that disagrees with you out of context.

As a human who lives near other humans and not in a sterile bubble, I assume that I am constantly exposed to pathogens. The way I figure it, me getting sick is more (not exclusively, just more) related to how well I keep my immune system functioning (sleep, food, non-stress) than avoiding all sick people.

Plus, I think that avoiding sick people is just rude. When people feel bad, it seems cruel to socially isolate them as well. (This is different from non-sick people who are just generally nasty, though.)

The world is gross. Some people are flat-out disgusting. I see it, I judge them, I avoid them, and I avoid the surfaces I directly see them snot up. However, I don't kid myself into thinking that the other surfaces are any cleaner. Why bother telling them how gross they are? It won't make the world any cleaner, and it makes you look like the tool instead of the gross person.

IS this thing on?

DO you hear me?

Disgusting face picking, mouth probing, vector passing obligate parasite of a human wipes mucus on his desk, say nothing all you want.

Not me.

I am disturbed by your apparent lack of empathy.

Since I've been washing my hands after every class, and using hand sanitizer, I wasn't sick once last year.

Coincidentally, in class, today, I heard that a few of our sports teams have a lot of sick players. Looks like some new sickness is spreading pretty fast.

When I go to the library in a bit, I'll be taking my lysol disinfecting wipes with me. I'll also be using hand sanitizer.

I look forward to preventing the spread of illness, and not becoming ill, myself.

:thumbup:

EDIT: oh, and they disproved the theory that exposing yourself to different bacteria/viruses to strengthen your immune system is a fat load of BS. Isn't there anyone with a background in epidemiology or immune systems on here? You'd think there might be. Oh, and they better ban hand sanitizer at hospitals, and forget that nosocomial infections kill thousands of people a year. While we're at it, let's just start licking door handles, and wiping our lips on exposed surfaces. That's what you're doing when you put your filthy fingers in your mouth in class. Good luck with that.

Also, look up "post hoc ergo propter hoc." It is a logical fallacy that you just committed.

On another note, new research suggests that self-righteousness, previously demonstrated to significantly impede the spirit of the world community, may have an infectious origin. Some clinicians have successfully treated the condition with a controversial new therapy, a series of words that colloquially translate as, "Calm down. Seriously. You're no better than the rest of us." Most physicians, however, still recommend drenching the unfortunate patient in buckets of ice water (for more information, see the use of therapeutic terror in 19th-century German psychiatry and hydropathy in England at around the same time).