Ask a radiology attending anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On a more serious note, what do you think will happen to the profession in the next decade? Cutting spots? Outsourcing to other centers in the US?
I have no idea. I don't expect much. Most things have already been tried and failed. A lot of radiologists actually made a lot of money with boarderline fraudulant billing practices. The government cut down on all of this and they lost a lot of salary. That caused a lot of whining. I personally didn't make the big salary before the reforms, so it didn't afffect me.

I hope they cut spots. And outsourcing overseas will never work.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You said you were initially going for Ortho but because you didn't match you scrambled into Rads - do you ever regret not being an orthopedic surgeon now?
I am at work right now sitting in my condo looking at a great view of the tall buildings and I havn't had back pain in 1.5 years. I never even think about it.

Reactions: 2 users
What was your fellowship in? I'm guessing MSK or Neuro if doing telerads.
It was in Neuroradiology. That is by far the best fellowship for tele

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you put implants as part of the impression on a CXR?
My impression only includes what an ED doctor would actually care about. Some people put renal cysts and stuff like that. Who the F cares about that?? I don't even include cholecystectomies in the impression of CT scans

Do you do any interventional radiology stuff?

I'm talking ct guided biopsies etc.

Despite hating the GU admissions staff, you actually went to GU, right? How did you feel about your experience there? Hated it? Loved it? Indifferent?

Do you get to talk to patients a whole lot? Or is most of your job just reading CT's/MRI's ?

Jalby, can you talk about the competitiveness of rads? I heard something like ~80 spots went unmatched either last year or the year before. Are the number of applicants down? Too much saturation of the field? A combination?

Do you do any interventional radiology stuff?

I'm talking ct guided biopsies etc.
I do teleradiology, so none. I did a heavy IR fellowship in Neuroradiology, so I used to do a ton of angiograms and kyphoplasties. I loved those. I almost got a part time job with Medtronic teaching kyphoplasties.

Despite hating the GU admissions staff, you actually went to GU, right? How did you feel about your experience there? Hated it? Loved it? Indifferent?
I didn't go to GU. I interviewed there for fellowship. I LOVE the location and would have probably loved being there for med school or fellowship. If you seriously think you would like going to GU and are from the northeast, by all means you should apply there. But if GU is a second teir school for you, you should save your money.

Jalby, can you talk about the competitiveness of rads? I heard something like ~80 spots went unmatched either last year or the year before. Are the number of applicants down? Too much saturation of the field? A combination?
Well, it used to be that you made $1,000,000 a year working 40-50 hours a week. Now you are making $300-$350 a year doing the same thing. That is why the competition went down a bunch. I still think it is a great field. I have a better life than most of my friends and make more than most of them. But not everybody would be lucky enough to get my job or do it as good as I do it.

If you want a stress free life where you make a good amount of money, radiology is still great.

I do teleradiology, so none. I did a heavy IR fellowship in Neuroradiology, so I used to do a ton of angiograms and kyphoplasties. I loved those. I almost got a part time job with Medtronic teaching kyphoplasties.

Hah, I was looking into doing a study on cost effectiveness for kypho vs. vertebroplasty!

That's neat though. I think IR is pretty fascinating and the procedures look way more interesting than PM&R with a comparable-ish stress level and 'out of work' commitment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't go to GU. I interviewed there for fellowship. I LOVE the location and would have probably loved being there for med school or fellowship. If you seriously think you would like going to GU and are from the northeast, by all means you should apply there. But if GU is a second teir school for you, you should save your money.
Thanks for the insight. I'm on their waitlist and would like to go there, but I am wondering if I should just withdraw and be happy with the other school I was accepted at. I'll stick it out on the waitlist some more.

As an undergraduate how many hours a day you spend studying? Also look at my social media use thread. What you think about that topic and stand as well sir? Ever keep a back up plan as an undergraduate in case medicine wouldn't work out for you?

Lol wut
rIBsCo7.gif

Can you get a RAD residency if you go to a DO school, it seems like radiology is a field that's harder to get into if you went to a DO school

How much knowledge of the nervous system do neuroradiologists have to learn as compared to neurologists and neurosurgeons?

As an undergraduate how many hours a day you spend studying? Also look at my social media use thread. What you think about that topic and stand as well sir? Ever keep a back up plan as an undergraduate in case medicine wouldn't work out for you?

It was really variable. I had a 2.0 my first two years then a 3.7 my last two, so I did a lot more near the end. To be honest, I didn't keep track how much studying I did.

And I didn't have a back up plan back then. I figure I would get a job at a biotech company doing PCR and stuff like that.

Can you get a RAD residency if you go to a DO school, it seems like radiology is a field that's harder to get into if you went to a DO school
You totally can, but you have to be near the top of your class.

How much knowledge of the nervous system do neuroradiologists have to learn as compared to neurologists and neurosurgeons?

I can only speak for myself. The Neurologist and Neurosurgeons know a TON more than I do. Of course, my current job is a teleradiologist reading ER studies at night, so I don't need to know a lot of in depth stuff. I feel myself forgetting stuff daily.

Jalby, does your week off feel like a week off or are the first couple days spent adjusting to a normal sleep pattern?

What are your thoughts on AI reading ? Do you think it will be a real threat? Do you think the field will tick up again in demand over the next decade?
Do you have to buy your own malpractice? Is it expensive?

Last edited:
Do you think it's reasonable to find a job where you can expect to work 40 hours a week as a radiology attending?

What would you say are the advantages and disadvantages of neuro fellowship? I don't really see it being discussed as much as MSK, Body, (and IR, obviously), so it seems like it's a less popular route. Why so?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jalby, does your week off feel like a week off or are the first couple days spent adjusting to a normal sleep pattern?
Honestly, it is only the first day. I start Friday at 10 PM. On Thursday I stay up until 3 or 4 AM and binge watch movies or TV series. I then sleep in until noon to 1 PM. From there, I just have to be awake for 19 hours, which isn't bad. After that, smooth sailing. One out of every 5-6 weeks I have sleep problems.

Reactions: 2 users
What are your thoughts on AI reading ? Do you think it will be a real threat? Do you think the field will tick up again in demand over the next decade?
Do you have to buy your own malpractice? Is it expensive?
AI Reading: I don't think of it much at all. It will never be usefull in normal radiology. Maybe in Mammo and maybe as something that we can use to overbill people. But I don't think it will happen in my career.

Demand: I have noooo idea what will happen.

Malpractice: Nope. I don't buy my own malpractice. Group pays for it.

Do you think it's reasonable to find a job where you can expect to work 40 hours a week as a radiology attending?

Absolutely. If I wanted to work 40 hours a week going 8 to 5, I can totally do it. It would be for less pay than I am making now and it might be hard to find thta in a great location. I plan on semi-retiring in 15 years and working a ton less. Maybe I'll do that.

What would you say are the advantages and disadvantages of neuro fellowship? I don't really see it being discussed as much as MSK, Body, (and IR, obviously), so it seems like it's a less popular route. Why so?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I did a Neuro fellowship because it was open in the area that I wanted to be. A body fellowship is pretty much useless because there isn't much you learn that you will encounter in the real world that other people can't do. Only Neuro and MSK do you get stuff that other peopel don't do.

But my job is simple and I don't need it. I cover a whole bunch of ERs and insert one of my 1,500 macros for each study. There are only about 200 common reasons people go to the ER and I have a macro for every one of them. And since I get paid by the study.....

What do you spend all that cash on? Do you invest it or do you have extravagant hobbies? Or both.

What do you spend all that cash on? Do you invest it or do you have extravagant hobbies? Or both.

I know a lot of doctors who literally have no savings. They spend $4k a month in rent and live on top of a tower with amazing views and more space than they need and drive $100k Telsas.

I personally purchased a home that was 1/3 of what the maxium loan I could get. I didn't buy a new car. I didn't go to Europe or Africa every 5 months. And I am now $60k from a net worth of $1 million at 38.5 years old. I'm about to buy a bunch of 3-4 condos in places that I think will be gentrified in 10 years where a subway is being built in 7. In the next month I will purchase homes that I plan to live in when I have one kid and then a different one when I have 2-3. I will rent them out until I finally reproduce. I plan to retire at 60 with $4-5 mill net worth and travel the world or do whatever I want.

Reactions: 14 users
1) How long was your residency + fellowship?
2) How old were you when you got the job?
3) In regards to your retirement plan, where will you get the bulk of your retirement income? Will it be from a 401K, stocks, savings account, rented houses?
4) Do you ever feel lonely since you're single or does it not bother you?
5) What was your Step 1 score?

What kind of pre-clinical grades did you have? Also, how important are honors/extracurriculars in getting into an average program?

Thanks.

Could you work from anywhere in teleradiology?
So say in the middle of nowhere in Alaska...?

I did a Neuro fellowship because it was open in the area that I wanted to be. A body fellowship is pretty much useless because there isn't much you learn that you will encounter in the real world that other people can't do. Only Neuro and MSK do you get stuff that other peopel don't do.

But my job is simple and I don't need it. I cover a whole bunch of ERs and insert one of my 1,500 macros for each study. There are only about 200 common reasons people go to the ER and I have a macro for every one of them. And since I get paid by the study.....
Tips for macro organization? I've only got 200-300 and can't quickly call them up.

Since you didn't go to GU, where did you go to med school?

Did you reapply?

1) How long was your residency + fellowship?
2) How old were you when you got the job?
3) In regards to your retirement plan, where will you get the bulk of your retirement income? Will it be from a 401K, stocks, savings account, rented houses?
4) Do you ever feel lonely since you're single or does it not bother you?
5) What was your Step 1 score?

1. One year surgical internship, 4 years rad residency, and one year fellowship.
2. I was 35 when I got my job. I took two years off after undergrad because I screwed up my GPA and got a masters. I took a year after med school to do research since I didn't match into Ortho.
3. I might just work a week a month and never retire. Since the condos I am buying kind of pay me rent if I want it or not, that would be my first source of income. It is quite possible I'll never get to my 401k.
4. That actually changed. I have had a girlfriend for a year. I've always dated people when I was single, so I was never lonely.
5. 259. Hopefully they didn't change the scoring. I cannot figure out what your MCAT scores mean anymore.

What kind of pre-clinical grades did you have? Also, how important are honors/extracurriculars in getting into an average program?

Thanks.
3.21 undergrad GPA. I had a 2.1 as a sophomore and 3.7 my last two years. And I would say extracurrics help more than honors. People want to know they like being with you as a person and human being.

Could you work from anywhere in teleradiology?
So say in the middle of nowhere in Alaska...?

You can work anywhere, but medicare only pays you if you are physically on US Territory. I'm thinking about getting a smaller computer and going places and working. You really need a min of 40 mbps download speed. And if you are in the middle of BFE, Alaska, there is a good chance I'm covering your local hospital.

Tips for macro organization? I've only got 200-300 and can't quickly call them up.
Part of that is just me and being able to remember stuff. Have an organization system. For me, the first word is always the modality, the second is the exam, the third is the contrast. I also have about 200 common diagnosis, so I have those, too. So I have "CT Appendicities without" and "X-ray Torus left."

Since you didn't go to GU, where did you go to med school?

Did you reapply?

Georgetown was the beginning of the cycle. I got into a different school that year.

You can work anywhere, but medicare only pays you if you are physically on US Territory. I'm thinking about getting a smaller computer and going places and working. You really need a min of 40 mbps download speed. And if you are in the middle of BFE, Alaska, there is a good chance I'm covering your local hospital.

Lol sweet
You could be a cattle rancher by day and a radiologist by night lol

I am going to be a freshman med student in the fall and I plan on shadowing in interventional radiology, it looks like a great field to fit my interests.

How do you think the lifestyle/hours/pay compare to diagnostic radiology? Radiology seems perfect for me but I do want to have patient interaction

3.21 undergrad GPA. I had a 2.1 as a sophomore and 3.7 my last two years. And I would say extracurrics help more than honors. People want to know they like being with you as a person and human being.

I mean in medical school. (I'm a med student already.)

I am going to be a freshman med student in the fall and I plan on shadowing in interventional radiology, it looks like a great field to fit my interests.

How do you think the lifestyle/hours/pay compare to diagnostic radiology? Radiology seems perfect for me but I do want to have patient interaction

I wouldn't expect the field to exist by the time you finish residency. IR Docs don't control the patients and eventually all the procedures they do will be done by the docs who control the patients.

I wouldn't expect the field to exist by the time you finish residency. IR Docs don't control the patients and eventually all the procedures they do will be done by the docs who control the patients.
Can IR docs still do reads if their procedures dry up? It seems like at my hospital IR docs get all the difficult cases for patients that wouldnt tolerate open procedures or the other proceduralists wouldnt touch.

Ah shoot. Thanks for the heads up. Are there any other radiology fellowships that allow you to have patient contact?

What changes do you see in the future of radiology in general?

Do you find your day-to-day work as a physician intellectually stimulating? Do you have opportunities to be involved in research?