Ask any questions about the interview process here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it frowned upon to say "um" or "yall" at any point in the interview?
At my leadership position in college, we are not supposed to say "you guys" at all in other to be inclusive. "You all" is the alternative according to my bosses LOL.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody have a list of typical questions to be prepared for at interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many people are typically at an interview day? I know it varies between schools, but I haven't seen too many figures

My first interview is very soon and at my top school, should I push it back so I can practice my interview skills and do some other schools' interviews first for experience

For questions to ask our interviewers, I've heard that we'll be able to formulate better questions after the interview shook presentation; however, does anyone have any good tips to make good questions? I'm having a hard time even after researching the website of schools and forums

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My first interview is very soon and at my top school, should I push it back so I can practice my interview skills and do some other schools' interviews first for experience
If it would make you feel more comfortable, then do it. If it were me, I would just go to the interview you have scheduled though

For questions to ask our interviewers, I've heard that we'll be able to formulate better questions after the interview shook presentation; however, does anyone have any good tips to make good questions? I'm having a hard time even after researching the website of schools and forums

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Ask legitimate questions you have. Some people ask questions during the presentations, but you can just save those for your actual interview. I just thought of a couple generic questions that were opinion based for the interviewer. If you ask something like "what's your favorite part about the school and why" then that won't have already been answered in a presentation lol

Reactions: 1 user
How do people know if they did well on an interview? like if they answered all the questions and seemed genuine?

For people that have already gone through a round of interviews, did you plan a day to explore the area/city of where you were interviewing? Did it help you make a decision?

Is early interview advantageous than later interview in terms of similar stats? Do ADCOMs wait to make decision for the early interviewers until november or they meet weekly basis to make decision? Thanks in advance!

Are interviews usually held before lunch or after? Or does it depend on the school?

Are interviews usually held before lunch or after? Or does it depend on the school?
Depends on the school and the time they schedule the interview. For my UF interview, half of the people interviewed before lunch and half after lunch.

Is there a place where I can find when schools send out interview invites? I applied at the beginning of July to 12 schools. I have interviews from 3 schools so far, can I expect more? (22DAT, 3,96GPA, solid rest of app) I just would like to know for my peace of mind if those 3 were early because it's been really quiet lately in my inbox. I don't have any rejection emails so I guess that's something.

I applied at
Colorado
Iowa-Interview Invite
Louisville
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Creighton-Interview Invite
Nebraska-Interviewing in 2 days!
Oklahoma
Utah
Washington

For people that have already gone through a round of interviews, did you plan a day to explore the area/city of where you were interviewing? Did it help you make a decision?
Kind of. If you have the time it wouldn't hurt, but if it's an extra day paying for a hotel room, you can skip it. Interview presentations usually tell you about the area. You can tell if it'll be rural or small city or big city.

Is early interview advantageous than later interview in terms of similar stats? Do ADCOMs wait to make decision for the early interviewers until november or they meet weekly basis to make decision? Thanks in advance!
Anything before December is basically a level playing field. Your second question probably depends on the school

Depends on the school. I've had both.

Is there a place where I can find when schools send out interview invites? I applied at the beginning of July to 12 schools. I have interviews from 3 schools so far, can I expect more? (22DAT, 3,96GPA, solid rest of app) I just would like to know for my peace of mind if those 3 were early because it's been really quiet lately in my inbox. I don't have any rejection emails so I guess that's something.

I applied at
Colorado
Iowa-Interview Invite
Louisville
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Creighton-Interview Invite
Nebraska-Interviewing in 2 days!
Oklahoma
Utah
Washington
You can't expect anything. You can look at school's old threads, but nothing is a given. Be grateful for your 3 and if you get more, be happy about those.

I know a number of schools will ask you to have official transcripts for them at the interview stage, if you were not asked to provide them earlier in the application process. In that case, do they have to be delivered directly from the institutions, or is it also acceptable to hand carry them with you to your interview in sealed envelopes? Also what do you do about foreign transcripts if you studied abroad (for me, they are nearly impossible to obtain after I returned to the US)?

I know a number of schools will ask you to have official transcripts for them at the interview stage, if you were not asked to provide them earlier in the application process. In that case, do they have to be delivered directly from the institutions, or is it also acceptable to hand carry them with you to your interview in sealed envelopes? Also what do you do about foreign transcripts if you studied abroad (for me, they are nearly impossible to obtain after I returned to the US)?
I would have them mailed directly from your university if they ask for them. Don't carry them to the interview. If you studied abroad, see if that's noted on your normally transcript. It was on mine and that was the only transcript I needed

I would have them mailed directly from your university if they ask for them. Don't carry them to the interview. If you studied abroad, see if that's noted on your normally transcript. It was on mine and that was the only transcript I needed

For me, it's not noted on any US or Canadian transcript. My home institution's official transcript only notes the name of the host institution and the term which I studied abroad. It does not provide any information about what courses I took and what credits/grades I received. The only way they could possibly know that information is by requesting my foreign transcript.

My host institution does not offer any transcript ordering service (literally). They are only able to issue transcripts when requested in person, where the person pays upon ordering, thus it is basically impossible for me to do so after I had left the host country.

I got an interview at a school that isn't one of my top choices and I already got interviews at other schools. Would it look bad if I reschedule that interview after December 1 because I don't want to waste my money now on it but I also don't want to cancel in case I don't get anything December 1. How would adcoms view that? I don't want them to think that I'm not interested at all in their school