Ask any questions about the interview process here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellofuturedentists

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The ask your random questions about AADSAS thread I made seemed relatively successful in answering people's questions about applying. Since it's mid-July, most of you guys are likely done or almost done with your AADSAS application, so I thought it might be helpful to make a new thread. Here, you can ask any questions about the interview process you may have, however trivial they may seem, and nice SDN people who have already been through it will try to answer your questions.

Please try not to get too school-specific here. Questions such as "When will [my school] send a next round of interviews?" can be answered on a school-specific thread. Here is a list of all of them. If you do not see one for your school, make one! http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...erview-acceptance-thread-compilation.1208552/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I'll get it started with a couple tips I can think of:
  • Bring a pen and a small notepad to your interviews. Some schools will give you a folder of information, others may not.
  • Have a good question ready to be asked at the end of each interview
  • Don't be rude or mean to anyone the entire day. Not that you should ever be rude or mean to strangers, but especially don't do it during interview day. Assume you are always being judged, not just when you're in the actual interview.
  • If you're flying, allow plenty of time to make it to your flight after interview day and try to take everything carry on.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a thread where all the people who interviewed in the previous cycles can give their input on what their interviews were like at their respective schools?
If there isn't, can a new thread be started where SDN'ers can chime in on things like: a brief recap of what interview day entailed, group vs. individual interview?, thoughts on facilities and location, description of their interviewers (were they friendly, did they seem excited to talk to you, did they just want to get over with the interview, how responsive they were to your responses), tips that may be helpful, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a thread where all the people who interviewed in the previous cycles can give their input on what their interviews were like at their respective schools?
If there isn't, can a new thread be started where SDN'ers can chime in on things like: a brief recap of what interview day entailed, group vs. individual interview?, thoughts on facilities and location, description of their interviewers (were they friendly, did they seem excited to talk to you, did they just want to get over with the interview, how responsive they were to your responses), tips that may be helpful, etc.?
Yes. Google SDN interview feedback.

Might be a stupid question, but how do I carry on a suit if I'm flying somewhere without getting it all wrinkled and messed up without wearing it? And I don't really want to wear it...

Reactions: 2 users
You can try. There's interview feedback, or there are last year's school specific threads. Thoughts on location, facilities, and description of interviews are really variable based on person to person though

Might be a stupid question, but how do I carry on a suit if I'm flying somewhere without getting it all wrinkled and messed up without wearing it? And I don't really want to wear it...
Not stupid at all lol. I had this problem and definitely didn't want to wear in on the plane. There are lots of youtube tutorials on how to fold a suit for the least amount of wrinkles. What I ended up learning toward the end of interview season was to just pack it folded a little, then when I got to my hotel, turn the shower on really hot and hang the suit and shirt near by. The steam gets the wrinkles out. It's pretty great.

Most hotel rooms have an iron and ironing board in the room. I ironed mine the night before and hung it up.

Some airlines let you carry on the suit and you can ask the flight attendant to hang it for you. There are also bags that are made for suits but they're kind of expensive.

+1 for garment bags

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They sell little carrier things. It worked in my car and on trains. You can lay it across you sort of like a blanket on the plane to reduce wrinkling if the person next to you doesn't mind, or try to hang it. I didn't fly to any interviews so these are only suggestions other people will know better.

Also, you can wear your suit wrinkled. As bad as that is, I had two periods where I had interviews within two days of each other and didn't iron for the second interview for either, and it wasn't an issue.
Lol let's say wearing a wrinkled suit is a last resort

What are the hardest questions you guys have faced during an interview? (copied this from that other thread, hope they dont mind :/).

Are interviews typically one on one?

How long are interview days?

Are questions asking you to address a weakness common? (ex. "explain your gpa", "Why no research", ect)

A little worried because I did have a bad undergrad. Very few ec's. Weak gpa first two years with a pretty good upward trend (there's a bad junior gpa in one quarter but the others made it up).

I plan on being a nontrad applicant and making up ec's in the next two years. I honestly wouldn't have a good explanation to my undergrad, other than I was lazy and dumb, then I grew up from that (with hopefully some good evidence to boot?)

What are the hardest questions you guys have faced during an interview? (copied this from that other thread, hope they dont mind :/).

Are questions asking you to address a weakness common? (ex. "explain your gpa", "Why no research", ect)

A little worried because I did have a bad undergrad. Very few ec's. Weak gpa first two years with a pretty good upward trend (there's a bad junior gpa in one quarter but the others made it up).

I plan on being a nontrad applicant and making up ec's in the next two years. I honestly wouldn't have a good explanation to my undergrad, other than I was lazy and dumb, then I grew up from that (with hopefully some good evidence to boot?)
01: I don't really remember any hard questions. I got asked what is a "quirky" trait of mine and that was kind of hard to come up with on the spot.

02: totally depends on the school.

03: usually morning to mid afternoon. Most schools give you a lunch.

04: I wasn't asked any questions on deficines at any of my interviews. All of my interviews were closed file, so my interviewers didn't know my stats anyway.

Lol uh oh, all of these seem pretty variable depending on school.
  • Hardest question: anything unusual that I hadn't previously had somewhat of an answer for. Can't think of anything off the top of my head. Some interviewers may try to catch you off guard for something. That's probably the most stressful lol.
  • Most interviews I had were 2 on 1, but that just depends on which school I was at. If you look back in previous threads for each school, someone probably mentioned how many people will be interviewing you
  • Usually a few hours. VCU's was the entire day, though. They will usually try to end by 4 or 5, allowing people enough time to take night flights out of the airport.
  • I don't recall getting the weakness question, but my GPA was good and I had research lol. I'm sure you have reasons for them, though, so practice a general template beforehand. Don't try to rehearse verbatim. If you grew up from a bad GPA, you can definitely say "I didn't understand what was at stake, I was immature, I've improved" wth the evidence to back it up :)

01: I don't really remember any hard questions. I got asked what is a "quirky" trait of mine and that was kind of hard to come up with on the spot.

I hope I get asked that one (if i receive an interview)! I feel like it would be a fun one to lead into a more casual conversation. But yes, very off-putting as well.

I hope I get asked that one (if i receive an interview)! I feel like it would be a fun one to lead into a more casual conversation. But yes, very off-putting as well.
It was a group interview where I was asked that, so we could only give a couple of sentences to answer unfortunately haha

Did anyone get a fancy suit for their interview?
I bought one when I worked in retail a while ago...gained weight since then sooooo...need a new one haha.

Did anyone get a fancy suit for their interview?
I bought one when I worked in retail a while ago...gained weight since then sooooo...need a new one haha.
I got a suit. It doesn't have to be super expensive, but most people I saw on interviews were wearing one. If you're a guy, definitely get one. If you're a lady, there's probably a bit of leeway.

I got a suit. It doesn't have to be super expensive, but most people I saw on interviews were wearing one. If you're a guy, definitely get one. If you're a lady, there's probably a bit of leeway.
I'm a woman. Was thinking a nice suit (pants because stockings hate me and I hate heels).

Did you guys ever get a question on the spot that you couldn't think of any answer for? I feel like I could freeze and wouldn't know what to do if it's a really unexpected question

Are flats okay or are they too informal? I hate walking in heels lol
Lol I have no idea. I don't see many girls wearing suits and I'm not even sure if it's appropriate to wear them with heels. I was just messing around.

Disclaimer: I am male and don't have much of a clue regarding women's fashion other than "Yeah that looks good"

I'm a woman. Was thinking a nice suit (pants because stockings hate me and I hate heels).
Good! I'm also a woman so I can tell you what I wore and what I saw :D
I got a decent skirt suit but I saw many with pants. I personally prefer heels because I'm not that tall, but many wore flats. My heels were pretty comfy and only about 1". If they weren't comfy, I would have invested in some nice flats, as schools will give you a walking tour and you want to be able to keep up lol. I saw a couple people in nice dresses, but for the most part, it was suits. Just get a black one and don't wear anything too flashy. If you don't stand out in a bad way due to some poor fashion choices, you'll be fine. Go with the pants and the flats if that's most comfortable to you!

Did you guys ever get a question on the spot that you couldn't think of any answer for? I feel like I could freeze and wouldn't know what to do if it's a really unexpected question
Lol yes many times. If you prepare all the basics, like "why dentistry", "why our school", etc, you will be ok. If it's something completely random, the interviewer is probably trying to do that on purpose so you think on your feet lol. Just practice with a friend or something for random questions, and make sure to read the interview feedback.

Flats are 100% okay. Just get some nice ones. Nothing too sparkly or casual looking

Lol I have no idea. I don't see many girls wearing suits and I'm not even sure if it's appropriate to wear them with heels. I was just messing around.

Disclaimer: I am male and don't have much of a clue regarding women's fashion other than "Yeah that looks good"
haha oops!! thanks though lol :D

Lol yes many times. If you prepare all the basics, like "why dentistry", "why our school", etc, you will be ok. If it's something completely random, the interviewer is probably trying to do that on purpose so you think on your feet lol. Just practice with a friend or something for random questions, and make sure to read the interview feedback.

Flats are 100% okay. Just get some nice ones. Nothing too sparkly or casual looking
perfect thank you!

Good! I'm also a woman so I can tell you what I wore and what I saw :D
I got a decent skirt suit but I saw many with pants. I personally prefer heels because I'm not that tall, but many wore flats. My heels were pretty comfy and only about 1". If they weren't comfy, I would have invested in some nice flats, as schools will give you a walking tour and you want to be able to keep up lol. I saw a couple people in nice dresses, but for the most part, it was suits. Just get a black one and don't wear anything too flashy. If you don't stand out in a bad way due to some poor fashion choices, you'll be fine. Go with the pants and the flats if that's most comfortable to you!

hahaha that sounds like a good outfit! I am really short, but I don't want to kill my feet. And then if I don't wear heels I don't want to wear a skirt. I don't look good in skirts with flats generally.
Do you think like navy or a nice grey would be okay?

hahaha that sounds like a good outfit! I am really short, but I don't want to kill my feet. And then if I don't wear heels I don't want to wear a skirt. I don't look good in skirts with flats generally.
Do you think like navy or a nice grey would be okay?
Don't worry about being short. If most people are taller than you anyway, 1 inch heels won't change much lol. Navy is probably okay, grey might be a little too light. I saw most people wearing black. Grey seems more summer, and most of your interviews will be in the fall or winter probably. In my opinion, black will always be okay, regardless of the season, and it'll be easier to match your shoes.

Don't worry about being short. If most people are taller than you anyway, 1 inch heels won't change much lol. Navy is probably okay, grey might be a little too light. I saw most people wearing black. Grey seems more summer, and most of your interviews will be in the fall or winter probably. In my opinion, black will always be okay, regardless of the season, and it'll be easier to match your shoes.

Hhmmm good point. I might go shoe shopping then pick outfits from there. This might be the longest process for me :thinking: I am indecisive when it comes to clothes.

hmm outfit is that really the most important???

how long did it take to receive the supplemental applications after you E-submit? I got one from BU immediately, but haven't heard from my other schools yet.

Possibly dumb question. I do muay thai and bjj regularly and compete in tournaments. Every once in a while mishaps happen and I get kneed in the mouth or elbowed in the face. Would a busted lip or maybe a bruised forehead look really bad at interviews? Should I just stop doing these sports until after I get accepted?

Possibly dumb question. I do muay thai and bjj regularly and compete in tournaments. Every once in a while mishaps happen and I get kneed in the mouth or elbowed in the face. Would a busted lip or maybe a bruised forehead look really bad at interviews? Should I just stop doing these sports until after I get accepted?
It probably looks better if you aren't busted up, but if you are visibly injured, you could easily explain it when they ask about your hobbies, which they usually do.

Any dudes here interview with long hair? If so, how did you wear it to your interview?

Any dudes here interview with long hair? If so, how did you wear it to your interview?
Not a long haired dude, but if you insist on not cutting off the hair, probably a professional man bun that's not too high up on your head.

fla
ts are completely fine. I would almost recommend them over heels because usually on your interview day, you will also be getting a tour of the school (lots of walking). Don't be afraid and think flats are too casual. They definitely are not. Ive seen plenty of women wearing flats at my interviews last year!

Also, this applies to everyone: Don't overthink your attire. As long as you look appropriate you'll be FINE. Literally no one is going to care about fashion no no's like matching colors or what not to wear with this or that. Im not saying just go all out and mix match everything, but literally no one cares at the interviews what you look like as long as you look clean, well groomed, and professional (no shorts, unkempt beard, mini skirts, 5 inch heels, etc etc.) Just stay within reason and you'll be good to go. Don't worry about dishing out excessive money to get the best of everything.