Ask any questions about the interview process here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^Great advice! The one other thing I'd add is to make sure your outfit looks like it fits you well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nah those are fresh. I'd wear them with a blue suit. Although I don't think i could responsibly buy a pair of 400 dollar shoes right now lol
Oh lol neither can I. These are the most similar to what I have.

Anyone have good tips on where to find an affordable suit/interview outfit (female)? Booking plane tickets for my first interview and my wallet is already crying

Anyone have good tips on where to find an affordable suit/interview outfit (female)? Booking plane tickets for my first interview and my wallet is already crying
I found mine on sale at JcPennys! I spent $12 on my skirt and $30 on my jacket :)

Reactions: 1 users
I think mine might be from Banana Republic? Partly on sale. Would not recommend full price lol. H&M probably has some good stuff too. Keep in mind you might have to get some stuff tailored as well.

Express is where I got everything!

What does it mean if in the AADSAS school decisions section it says "Invited for Interview" but we haven't actually gotten an email from that school to set one up?

What does it mean if in the AADSAS school decisions section it says "Invited for Interview" but we haven't actually gotten an email from that school to set one up?
Should mean you got an interview. Check your spam folder. If nothing, then call the school on Monday and ask.

I think mine might be from Banana Republic? Partly on sale. Would not recommend full price lol. H&M probably has some good stuff too. Keep in mind you might have to get some stuff tailored as well.
I just got my pants from Banana Republic too. It's an outlet store, and it costs around $25 (discounted price) I believe.

Congrats! Which school?

Members don't see this ad :)
ECU! Hopefully first of many! 2 of the schools I've applied to haven't even shown up in the "Decisions" section of AADSAS yet.
I am sure you'll receive many more interviews with that great DAT score. Just be patient. 6 of the schools I applied to haven't shown up on the Decisions page of AADSAS!

I am sure you'll receive many more interviews with that great DAT score. Just be patient. 6 of the schools I applied to haven't shown up on the Decisions page of AADSAS!
Thanks! I sure you will too! I know it's tougher as an international student but you have an awesome DAT with a solid GPA too! Sending positive vibes

Thanks! I sure you will too! I know it's tougher as an international student but you have an awesome DAT with a solid GPA too! Sending positive vibes
Yay! That's why I go to SDN everyday to send/receive encouragements from anonymous people! :D

Reactions: 2 users
Random tip: Bring mints or floss to your interviews! Usually the actual interview is right after lunch lol

Bump! I'll be getting busier real soon, and I'm sure many other future D1s will be too, so ask any questions now if you have them :)

Random tip: Bring mints or floss to your interviews! Usually the actual interview is right after lunch lol
For two of my three interviews, I forgot to bring floss with me. Literally no gas station on this earth sells floss and none of the hotels I stayed at had any.

I was like "how the hell do you forget floss two times to your dental school interviews?!" But I'm not sure because I did.

For two of my three interviews, I forgot to bring floss with me. Literally no gas station on this earth sells floss and none of the hotels I stayed at had any.

I was like "how the hell do you forget floss two times to your dental school interviews?!" But I'm not sure because I did.
lol what about Walgreens or CVS? All in all, I probably gave like 15 people mints at interviews. That's one way to make them like you lol

I work outdoors, I try to use sunscreen but occasionally forget (like today) would it look bad to interview sunburned?

lol what about Walgreens or CVS? All in all, I probably gave like 15 people mints at interviews. That's one way to make them like you lol
I didn't have my own car for them and was using uber. Instead of spending the few dollars it would have taken, I interviewed with unflossed teeth.

:whistle:

I work outdoors, I try to use sunscreen but occasionally forget (like today) would it look bad to interview sunburned?
Lol probably depends how sunburned you are. If it's just a little, it's probably not noticeable. If you're peeling everywhere, it won't look that great. Just try to remember the sunscreen from now on

I read this question that was asked at some interviews and I'm having a difficult time thinking of a response. "What is your biggest weakness and how would it be a negative asset to dentistry?" I know it's a personal question but how would we answer this without it impacting our chances? Also if I really can't think of an answer for this one can I say I don't have any that would impact me as a dentist or would that be a bad response? (I have weaknesses to talk about but I can't think of anything that would be a negative asset to dentistry).

I read this question that was asked at some interviews and I'm having a difficult time thinking of a response. "What is your biggest weakness and how would it be a negative asset to dentistry?" I know it's a personal question but how would we answer this without it impacting our chances? Also if I really can't think of an answer for this one can I say I don't have any that would impact me as a dentist or would that be a bad response? (I have weaknesses to talk about but I can't think of anything that would be a negative asset to dentistry).
For starters, you NEVER talk about any weaknesses unless you're literally asked "What are your 3 biggest weaknesses?" etc. You must also shine a positive light on those weaknesses or you're done for. For example, you may not like working in groups and often take the majority of the work for yourself, but you value others' opinions and learn from them (as an example). I doubt that specific question will ever be asked.

I've heard of the weakness question before, but never how it would be a negative asset. Whatever you choose as a weakness, follow it with how you have been working on it. Maybe, for example, you would say, "One of my weaknesses is that I am a little shy with people I don't know, and a large part of dentistry is being friendly to patients. I have been trying to come out of my shell more with my public speaking class, blah blah blah." That's what I'd do.

Do people bring their phone/wallet to the interview or leave it in the car?

Do people bring their phone/wallet to the interview or leave it in the car?
Do whatever you want. Just make sure you're not on the phone texting. Talk to your peers. Somebody is always watching you during your interview day.

Do whatever you want. Just make sure you're not on the phone texting. Talk to your peers. Somebody is always watching you during your interview day.

This. My friend's dad was waiting in lounge for his DMD interview at BU when someone started a friendly conversation with him. Talked about his life story and how he came to the US, 30 mins later that same face was part of the interview panel.

NYU and Temple?
Temple hasn't shown up on the portal for me, either.

In the email NYU sent me (saying that they were now reviewing my app), it said that NYU doesn't update statuses on AADSAS.

Random questions for guys... I'm getting my suit pants hemmed soon and was wondering what break to get? I was thinking a half break.

And shaving.. does it look bad to have a minimal amount of stubble or do you need to be baby faced? Any tips for shaving so you don't get any razor burn or pimples?

Random questions for guys... I'm getting my suit pants hemmed soon and was wondering what break to get? I was thinking a half break.

And shaving.. does it look bad to have a minimal amount of stubble or do you need to be baby faced? Any tips for shaving so you don't get any razor burn or pimples?

Hem them to right below your ankle bone.

As for shaving, I'd recommend going on the lowest setting with an electric shaver.

Hem them to right below your ankle bone.

As for shaving, I'd recommend going on the lowest setting with an electric shaver.
That's what I do now just didn't know if you needed to be absolutely clean shaven or not lol

That's what I do now just didn't know if you needed to be absolutely clean shaven or not lol
You certainly don't need to be absolutely clean shaven. Just don't do anything that looks scraggly or messy. If it looks professional, you'll be fine.

What am I supposed to do with all my "stuff" during interviews? Assuming we check out of our hotels/airbnb places the morning of the interview and then uber to the school, what do we do with our suitcase?

I'm only really planning on taking a carry on size backpack, computer, and suit, but where can i put this the whole day? I feel like it won't look professional to be wearing a backpack with my suit all day. Lockers would be ideal but idk if schools have those for us.

Thanks!

What am I supposed to do with all my "stuff" during interviews? Assuming we check out of our hotels/airbnb places the morning of the interview and then uber to the school, what do we do with our suitcase?

I'm only really planning on taking a carry on size backpack, computer, and suit, but where can i put this the whole day? I feel like it won't look professional to be wearing a backpack with my suit all day. Lockers would be ideal but idk if schools have those for us.

Thanks!
Most every school I talked to said it was alright to leave a suitcase in the office for the day. Just email ahead and ask. You won't be the only one with this problem. From what I saw, it seemed like your stuff would be safe with a receptionist at the front, allowing you to be able to check out of your hotel/air bnb that morning and go straight to the airport/highway after the interview

Is it frowned upon to say "um" or "yall" at any point in the interview?

I think a few um's wouldn't hurt. Probably should refrain from saying y'all though.

Lol I think the word y'all is fine. I'm not sure when you'd actually have a context to say it during an interview though

When we get to ask questions at the end, is it okay to get out a list of questions and ask from that? Also, do you take notes after they answer your questions?

When we get to ask questions at the end, is it okay to get out a list of questions and ask from that? Also, do you take notes after they answer your questions?
I wouldn't have a list of 30 questions, but if you had 1 or 2 jotted down I don't see a problem with it. I did that. Taking notes when they answer is also fine, especially if you have the question written down. Shows you care about the answer lol